New kid here, big thanks and a question

Darrell Goodwin

Equipment
Kubota B6000
Feb 22, 2020
PUEBLO
Hi everybody. Please forgive my long-winded rant. This is my first post and I'm excited to be here. I bought a Kubota B6000 a couple months ago, and while searching for answers to a million questions, I found this awesome group. Most of my questions have been answered in previous postings, so I've been learning from the gurus while not asking the same questions every newby probably asks.

I rewired the dash panel, rebuilt and/or replaced the switches and wires, got it to turn over, purged the fuel line, got it to start. What a sweet little bulldog it is! It ran nicely without much tweaking, so I kept cleaning every day, put new battery, new front tires, lots of WD40, Blew dust off for days, rebuilt the muffler which was crumbling from rust, new glow plugs (probably unneccesary), changed the oil, cleaned more layers of crud, new oil pressure sensor and lamp, replaced the headlight bulb sockets, scrubbed the inside of the headlights with sandpaper (took the glass out of one, broke it, glued it together, it's almost good as new...)

Read many postings in this group, read the manuals, learning every day. The knowledge in this group has already given me more help and confidence than I could express. Some of the threads are 10, 15 years old, but the information is timeless. My million questions have been answered. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

There is still a lot of "deferred maintenance" to be done, and I'm planning to build a loader for it because I can't lift heavy things like I once did. You guys gave me the details of the subframe that I didn't know I needed, and that knowledge surely saved my bulldog's back from breaking.

You'd think a million answers would satisfy anybody, but not me. I have a question that I couldn't find an answer. This is my first post here, and I apologize for the long-winded build-up.

The rod in the panel that releases compression connects to a pair of linked levers on top of the valve cover. On my tractor, the first lever was mangled and assembled with the spring above the link instead of underneath where it clearly belongs. I took it apart and repaired the link, but when I started the engine after that, it no longer ran nice and smooth. It took many attempts to start before it caught, and then it smoked horribly grey smoke that filled the yard and kept dying. (Before, it belched a little black smoke upon starting, then the exhaust was clean and it purred, er, uh, little bulldog growled...)

I probably turned the screw with the nut (see picture) when removing the link before I realized it was an adjustment and not just a hold-down. I haven't found any reference to that adjustment. Is it an important or sensitive setting? My plan is to drain and replace the fuel, (the new filter will be here soon,) and that's an obvious step to take, but it ran so nice with the same old fuel several times before now! Eventually I'll pull the valve cover and adjust the valves as described in the manual, but in the meantime, I'm clueless. Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

Attachments

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I’ll bet the “old fuel” comment is telling.

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
If it ran before, my guess is that when you moved the spring, you moved the compression release causing this.

Don't take my word on this, better minds should be along shortly.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Do you have a workshop manual?
I looked in Kubotabooks.com. Both the operators' and WSM...

No useful info on the decompression hardware.

Messicks has a cylinder head parts diagram but it is unreadable.

My suggestion is to remove the valve cover and see what is going on.

Dave

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Your compression release simply opens the valves to release compression. This was to let the engine spin over faster to heat up quicker for easier starts.

Not sure on your engine, but some Kubotas were adjustable through two plugs on the valve cover. You may have to remove the cover and see how that engine is adjusted. It's a pretty simple setup, so don't let it scare you. If you take the valve cover off you should be able to reuse the gasket.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You need to loosen it up, as it has too much tension on it, and it's holding the valves open.
That adjustment of the two has a spring in it to return to closed.

You really don't need the compression release option anymore.

Decompression devices on these older models were because battery technology was not good enough to offer enough CCA at spin up and for an extended period of time.
New battery technology make the decompression device unneeded.

Darrell Goodwin

Equipment
Kubota B6000
Feb 22, 2020
PUEBLO
These are great suggestions. I do have the manuals from kubotabooks.com, the Operator's Manual, the Service Manual, and the Parts Manual. They have been my guiding light as I learn and fix this tractor. I didn't get a chance to meet the previous owner; he lives way out in the boonies and sold it through a friend who lives in town. So I don't know the history of it's use or maintenance. Or the age of the fuel. It came with the tank nearly full. I was told it had been sitting for about 3 years, and apparently a new starter was installed, but no other work had been done in the meantime. The compression release works, but it needed the full compression to start and run.

Yes, remove the valve cover will be the next step, and take a look under there. Also it occurs to me that I had taken the hood off to clean it and work on the headlight wiring, and it snowed that night before my last startup. I don't see where water could have gotten into the fuel, but won't rule out the possibility. Replacing the fuel will eliminate any question in that regard. I want to clean and adjust everything, but I'm seeing that it's a lengthy checklist. Overall it's in fairly good condition. Thanks for the encouragement. I'll report back after these next steps are taken.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
These are great suggestions. I do have the manuals from kubotabooks.com, the Operator's Manual, the Service Manual, and the Parts Manual. They have been my guiding light as I learn and fix this tractor. I didn't get a chance to meet the previous owner; he lives way out in the boonies and sold it through a friend who lives in town. So I don't know the history of it's use or maintenance. Or the age of the fuel. It came with the tank nearly full. I was told it had been sitting for about 3 years, and apparently a new starter was installed, but no other work had been done in the meantime. The compression release works, but it needed the full compression to start and run.

Yes, remove the valve cover will be the next step, and take a look under there. Also it occurs to me that I had taken the hood off to clean it and work on the headlight wiring, and it snowed that night before my last startup. I don't see where water could have gotten into the fuel, but won't rule out the possibility. Replacing the fuel will eliminate any question in that regard. I want to clean and adjust everything, but I'm seeing that it's a lengthy checklist. Overall it's in fairly good condition. Thanks for the encouragement. I'll report back after these next steps are taken.
Water can get into fuel from condensation.
Also fuel with water in it can grow algae.