New Hydraulic pump, loud whining sound, L4740

BayouB2601

Equipment
B2601HST, L3010GST, L4740HST
May 11, 2020
Baton Rouge, LA
A few weeks ago I posted about the hydraulic pump on my L4740HST crapping out on me. Ordered the replacement, Kubota OEM pump and had it installed by a buddy that is a mechanic for the local Kubota dealership. All the hydraulics seem to be working great… HST, loader, pto, 3-pt lift, rear remotes and 3rd function valve. when I changed the pump I changed the hydraulic fluid, KUBOTA Super UDT 2 (synthetic) and both hydraulic filters (Kubota Brand). The fluid levels are just right and the fluid in the transmission case isn’t frothy or bubbly, it looks normal and clean. I’m at a loss for what could be the cause of the whine. it is such a load whine I’m concerned something isn’t right and I can’t afford to have anymore downtime or buy another $1200 pump.
I’ve ordered a pressure gauge so I can check the systems pressure. Could an incorrectly set pressure release valve cause this, or possibly a bad pressure release valve? Should I have used the older UDT hydraulic fluid and not the synthetic?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I dont think the fluid is the problem.

Before the switch - you heard what it sounds like WHEN the relief valve kicks in? (picking up something too heavy on the loader) Is it this sound?

To me it sounds like there is a hydraulic connection that is causing a "dead head" situation.

Have you tried to disconnect the loader ?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
A few weeks ago I posted about the hydraulic pump on my L4740HST crapping out on me. Ordered the replacement, Kubota OEM pump and had it installed by a buddy that is a mechanic for the local Kubota dealership. All the hydraulics seem to be working great… HST, loader, pto, 3-pt lift, rear remotes and 3rd function valve. when I changed the pump I changed the hydraulic fluid, KUBOTA Super UDT 2 (synthetic) and both hydraulic filters (Kubota Brand). The fluid levels are just right and the fluid in the transmission case isn’t frothy or bubbly, it looks normal and clean. I’m at a loss for what could be the cause of the whine. it is such a load whine I’m concerned something isn’t right and I can’t afford to have anymore downtime or buy another $1200 pump.
I’ve ordered a pressure gauge so I can check the systems pressure. Could an incorrectly set pressure release valve cause this, or possibly a bad pressure release valve? Should I have used the older UDT hydraulic fluid and not the synthetic?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Sounds like something is wrong. I think I would check the inlet pressure at the loader valve. With everything in neutral it should be no more than 100 PSI.

Dan

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Make a video of the sound!
Other options to a hydraulic output issue would be a power in issue.
It's possible you have a bad bearing on the gear that drives the pump.
Or maybe bad teeth on the gears.
1693767986611.png

BayouB2601

Equipment
May 11, 2020
Baton Rouge, LA
I dont think the fluid is the problem.

Before the switch - you heard what it sounds like WHEN the relief valve kicks in? (picking up something too heavy on the loader) Is it this sound?

To me it sounds like there is a hydraulic connection that is causing a "dead head" situation.

Have you tried to disconnect the loader ?
It’s not the same sound as the relief valve opening, definitely not that loud or harsh sounding. I agree, it sounds like it could be “dead heading” . I disassembled the 3rd function valve and checked It because it was sticking occasionally. I didn’t see any problems but it’s still sticks every once in a while. I’ll try disconnecting the loader lines in the morning and see what that does.

BayouB2601

Equipment
May 11, 2020
Baton Rouge, LA
Make a video of the sound!
Other options to a hydraulic output issue would be a power in issue.
It's possible you have a bad bearing on the gear that drives the pump.
Or maybe bad teeth on the gears.
View attachment 110686
I replaced the pump along with all the gears and bearings (new o-rings too). I had to replace them, they were chewed up and missing teeth from the original pump breaking. I’ll make a video of the sound and post it. Thanks for the suggestions.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
It’s not the same sound as the relief valve opening, definitely not that loud or harsh sounding. I agree, it sounds like it could be “dead heading” . I disassembled the 3rd function valve and checked It because it was sticking occasionally. I didn’t see any problems but it’s still sticks every once in a while. I’ll try disconnecting the loader lines in the morning and see what that does.
Guessing is not axfruitful diagnostic tool. Check the loader valve inlet pressure. Tee the gauge into the supply line and run the loader through its paces. That will tell you exactly what the pump is seeing pressure wise.

Dan