New guy here, FEL digging question

partsmutt

Mar 12, 2022
Alabama
Hello everyone. New here. I haven't purchased my tractor yet and I've been lurking here reading and watching videos on youtube (looking for a BX or B series). I have a couple specific things I need to do with my property and digging a new ditch to follow the property line is one of them. I can't justify a backhoe for anything other than this one ditch, so I'm researching other methods. Digging with a loader bucket seems weird, but there are loads of examples of this on youtube. So to cut to the chase, that's my question for you all. The videos I see just look like bad news for the tractor; jacking the wheels off the ground and shaking the tractor around to get the bucket to cut. The comments are always "great video" etc. So is this normal? I'd love to use the bucket for the ditch if that's all it takes. But I always have credibility issues with people doing stupid things on youtube.

Here's a youtube link, about 7 1/2 minutes in:
Digging with loader bucket

Thanks!

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Hello everyone. New here. I haven't purchased my tractor yet and I've been lurking here reading and watching videos on youtube (looking for a BX or B series). I have a couple specific things I need to do with my property and digging a new ditch to follow the property line is one of them. I can't justify a backhoe for anything other than this one ditch, so I'm researching other methods. Digging with a loader bucket seems weird, but there are loads of examples of this on youtube. So to cut to the chase, that's my question for you all. The videos I see just look like bad news for the tractor; jacking the wheels off the ground and shaking the tractor around to get the bucket to cut. The comments are always "great video" etc. So is this normal? I'd love to use the bucket for the ditch if that's all it takes. But I always have credibility issues with people doing stupid things on youtube.

Here's a youtube link, about 7 1/2 minutes in:
Digging with loader bucket

Thanks!
That's one way to do it.
Depending on soil conditions, you can cut a nice v-bottom ditch with a back blade. Tilt and angle and do one side at a time.

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Welcome to the forum.....

if you have somewhat level ground to plant all tires on - the digging the ditch should not be a problem, the real problem is when you CANNOT get 90 degree to the ditch you are trying to cut and wheels start to get in a situation where one comes up/off the ground.

I will tell you this based on that video - getting a toothbar will help that type of cutting about 500% easier.

Reactions: 2 users

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
I think you'd be a whole lot better off renting a mini X. There's no way in hell I'd be trying to dig a ditch with the FEL on my 2380 in my soil conditions (hard packed red clay). If you're in sandy, loose soil you might want to give it a go, but I'd still rent the mini X.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
I could not use the bucket for digging since there was not enough room to maneuver so I used a different alternative. I needed to build a shallow French Drain about 105 ft. long. I used my BX1880 with a Paumco Quick Spade on my forks for the digging and for breaking any roots I used a Titan Ripper Shank . It all worked much better than I expected and for the investment it was well worth the money.

Quick

Equipment
B2601, LA435, BH70, LP SGC0554 Grapple, LP RB1672 Rear Blade, King Kutter 60" BB
Sep 23, 2021
St. Clair, MO.
I could not use the bucket for digging since there was not enough room to maneuver so I used a different alternative. I needed to build a shallow French Drain about 105 ft. long. I used my BX1880 with a Paumco Quick Spade on my forks for the digging and for breaking any roots I used a Titan Ripper Shank . It all worked much better than I expected and for the investment it was well worth the money.
That's interesting! Never seen it done like this before. I don't have forks. Wonder how that quick spade would fare on a regular tractor bucket? Would think warping the bucket would be a worry?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I think you'd be a whole better off renting a mini X. There's no way in hell I'd be trying to dig a ditch with the FEL on my 2380 in my soil conditions (hard packed red clay). If you're in sandy, loose soil you might want to give it a go, but I'd still rent the mini X.
Agreed.

Tractor/FELs are not excavators.

Rent the proper machine.

SDT

Reactions: 3 users

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Mid last summer I dug a ditch for a 4 inch drain line 280 foot long with the 66“ light duty bucket on my L2501. I was delighted in the depth I was able to achieve and the amount of time spent. I feel the tractor handled it without any undue wear and tear. BUT, and this is a big but, my soil is non compacted loamy sand with little to no roots or rocks where I dug. In my case I was able to dig the trench in less time than I would have spent setting up delivery and pickup of a mini tracked excavator .

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: digging a new ditch to follow the property line is one of them.

need to know things... 1) length of 'property line ' ? 2) type of soil !? 3) width of ditch ?

COULD you do it as the video shows... sure..takes 'forever' and potentially very hard on the tractor
A miniex with 16=24" bucket will cost maybe $500 for the day, and it'll be DONE in a day.

You could buy a 'middle plow' or even a 1 furrow plow to do the ditch. I did 1000' (property line) using a Brinly 10" plow,1st going east, then going west,then cleaning the spoils to clean up the new ditch.

A miniex will give you more control and you'll have to think about WHERE to get rid of the 'ditch dirt'.

If you rent a BX23S from Homedepot, it'll do the job , and has a bucket to get rid of the dirt.

BTW are there ANY rocks you don't know about ????

since you don't HAVE a rtactor yet, really...rent a BX23S from HD

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
There are a lot of tools to use with your tractor to make the job easier on you and the tractor. Exrocketengineer gave a link to a couple. A subsoiler could be used to loosen up tight soil, or a one bottom plow and then use your bucket.

You didn't mention if you're experienced operating machinery. If not, don't use a project like this as a learning situation. Using a loader has a learning curve all by itself, without moving forward and rolling and lifting the bucket at the same time.

What ever you do call for locates 3 days before you begin. AND the marks they might put near your digging line have to be hand dug within 24" of their mark!

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Rent a real digging machine, save your SCUT for gardening...unless you enjoy spending money on repairs. Earth engagement is hard work on any machine, especially for a SCUT not designed for the work.

partsmutt

Mar 12, 2022
Alabama
Rent a real digging machine, save your SCUT for gardening...unless you enjoy spending money on repairs. Earth engagement is hard work on any machine, especially for a SCUT not designed for the work.
No, I don't like spending money on repairs. Hence my question about applicability to the job. But I appreciate your barbed reply nonetheless.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
If you decide to buy a machine you’ll want forks. I’ve cut smaller swales by pushing forks together and back dragging with the forks gouging into the ground. Usually takes a few passes and not good for wider applications. I then follow up with bucket back dragging the spoils on both sides to smooth out.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I find that video inspiring. I see nothing wrong with what he is doing. I have a section of drainage pipe I have been thinking about paying a contractor to bury and methinks I will try the referenced approach. I do have a tooth bar. Love my B2601!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
agree ,any kind of 'tooth bar' will make it easier on the equipment. How well it works for you depends on type of soil you have and how deep you have to go.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Couple of pictures of the ditch I dug with the L2501 and bucket. No tooth bar but I would like to try one.
I have always felt that I have a pretty good handle on what is working a machine as designed and what is 'abuse". In no way did I think I crossed the line into abuse when digging this ditch. Granted the L2501 is a larger machine than your considering but if your buying a loader tractor regardless its worth giving it a shot IMHO. If you feel its not up to the task, rent a back hoe or track hoe. Good digging! :)

DSC02094.JPG
DSC02095.JPG

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
dirt ? you got DIRT under the grass ?? !!
neighbour 1000' away IS the 'terminal moraine' up here..sigh, rocks, boulders, stones, sand and yeah some dirt....it was a very sloooow process to move some of it with theBH on the BX23S.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Looks like Ken is digging through an old garden spot. Not a rock/pebble in sight! I do see a couple roots though. :)

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
My property has somewhat of an interesting history. Geologically located in what is known as the central sands area. Late 1800's to about 1930 was a diary farm. How they made a living in this sandy soil is beyond me. Sometime after WWII a Christmas tree company purchased the land, planted/harvested non-native Scots pines. It was sold in the early 1990's then sat fallow till 2017 when I purchased it. I have about 5 large rock piles scattered about that contain some pretty good sized boulders. I would assume either the farm family or more likely the Christmas tree operators piled these rocks up. My land does have quite a bit of topography and is located near to glacier terminations. There is a hiking trail being built in Wisconsin that is called the "ice age trail" and I have been contacted to see if I wanted to give easements though my land.

iceagetrail