New environmental requirements for Diesel engines

Express

May 31, 2013
Oxford, Connecticut
I was at the Kubota dealer yesterday and he mentioned the new antipollution required devices for diesel engines could add as much as 15% additional cost to the tractor. Iwas co concerned about the effects on horsepower. Does anybody have any information on these devices and there effects on performance and cost?

Jab73180

Equipment
L3430
Jun 19, 2012
Alton me
I would say it will be the same thing as the diesel pickups and the particulate filters. It will choke the engine and rob HP.

-Jason

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Consider a $20,000 tractor. The dealer's stated 15% would be additional $3,000. Might be close, especially in the first couple model years. Over-the-road trucking industry is screaming that they expect $7,500-$10,000 per engine additional cost, but they have more complex systems than we do in tractors. One thing: I haven't yet run across a tractor requiring use of diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) and I don't know about implementation of engine automatic 'burn out' (on-board computer mandated or forces shut-down) to regenerate soot capture systems in the tractor world.

I'd appreciate any additional knowledge that's available out there.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Explain this to me if you will,,, They have been using diesel engines underground mining for years, and while they are required by law to maintain them, they are in a very closed and confined atmosphere. So why is it the EPA figures that in an open environment, these motors would put out any more particulates or noxious gases than under ground? I fear it is just one more government agency flexing it power, and really not doing anything but draining our pockets
Just MHO you understand

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Skeets I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head with that one! It's all about the dollar and how many the gub'mint can earn. When I was truck driving all out of state rigs had to have an IFTA sticker. Which stands for International Fuel Tax Agreement, basically your paying for this annual sticker to fart diesel exhaust into other states.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
Explain this to me if you will,,, They have been using diesel engines underground mining for years, and while they are required by law to maintain them, they are in a very closed and confined atmosphere. So why is it the EPA figures that in an open environment, these motors would put out any more particulates or noxious gases than under ground? I fear it is just one more government agency flexing it power, and really not doing anything but draining our pockets
Just MHO you understand

I'll cut to the chase for you.........the white man is being replaced.

It's all about who will inhabit this land, nothing less.

shiplemw

Equipment
B7500 HSD
Jul 13, 2013
Michigan
Consider a $20,000 tractor. The dealer's stated 15% would be additional $3,000. Might be close, especially in the first couple model years. Over-the-road trucking industry is screaming that they expect $7,500-$10,000 per engine additional cost, but they have more complex systems than we do in tractors. One thing: I haven't yet run across a tractor requiring use of diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) and I don't know about implementation of engine automatic 'burn out' (on-board computer mandated or forces shut-down) to regenerate soot capture systems in the tractor world.

I'd appreciate any additional knowledge that's available out there.
Emission regulations (Interim T4) are being / have been implemented across the board on all off-road equipment from tractors to mining vehicles to forestry equipment. These requirements reduce NOx and particulate matter (PM) so they typically involve a catalyst and a diesel particulate filter (DPF). The "burnout" procedure is based on how clogged the filter is. Depending on manufacturer if the tractor hits the required loading it will burn out during normal use with little impact to the operator. Other times, if the tractor is not used highly, or never sees a high load, the tractor may have to go into a non-moving burnout mode.

T4f requirements are in process of being implemented and these typically require the same components for T4i and the addition of DEF injection to further reduce NOx.

I know this is an orange site but John Deere has some good information on the regulations and their take on the strategy to meet them. Links below

Emissions Info (JD) -

JD Strategy - T4f

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA