New BX2380 HST leaking.

Captaincj

Apr 2, 2019
Hugo, MN
Hello all, new BX2380, 4 hours on the meter.

Leaking fluid from HST onto the floor. I haven't had time to look at it closely or consult the manual yet.

Fluid level on the rear dipstick is about 3/8-1/2 inch above the top of the hatched markings on the dipstick. I haven't yet looked at the manual to see if the oil is supposed to be WITHIN the hatched markings or ABOVE the hatched markings on the dipstick.

Anyway, if anyone can tell me if the oil level should be within or above the hatched marks that would be great.

Also, with oil being 3/8-1/2 inches above the top of the hatched markings, could the oil have been overserviced from the factory/dealership and being leaked out of an overflow?

Thanks, LOVE the tractor so far otherwise.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I would let the dealer figure that out! There could be several causes... at 4 hours, that's what a warranty is for.

The level is supposed to be within the hashmarks. At 3/8-1/2" above, guessing you're 1/2-3/4 quart or so over.

I overdid mine on a change a while back, about the same on the stick. I did get it back to where it belonged.

When my BX was new, I had the opposite experience. After 30 minutes of use, mine was off the stick. It was full on delivery. Guessing it had some air, and about a quart filled it and it stayed.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Captaincj

Apr 2, 2019
Hugo, MN
I would let the dealer figure that out! There could be several causes... at 4 hours, that's what a warranty is for.

The level is supposed to be within the hashmarks. At 3/8-1/2" above, guessing you're 1/2-3/4 quart or so over.

I overdid mine on a change a while back, about the same on the stick. I did get it back to where it belonged.

When my BX was new, I had the opposite experience. After 30 minutes of use, mine was off the stick. It was full on delivery. Guessing it had some air, and about a quart filled it and it stayed.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk
Ok, thanks for the info. Hopefully someone else can add if being overfilled like that can eject fluid out of an overflow.

Obviously if I don't get it resolved soon I will contact the dealer. If it's likely just ejecting access fluid out an overflow then I'd rather not transport the machine to the dealer or even have them pick it up and return it. Just so much hassle. Also don't want the case opened up if not necessary.

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
Can you see where it is coming out? That is where I would start. Does it only leak after the trans warms up or does it leak all the time? If only after it warms up I would suspect that it would be from fluid expansion and a simple fix, but if all the time, then your looking at a bigger issue. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Captaincj

Apr 2, 2019
Hugo, MN
Can you see where it is coming out? That is where I would start. Does it only leak after the trans warms up or does it leak all the time? If only after it warms up I would suspect that it would be from fluid expansion and a simple fix, but if all the time, then your looking at a bigger issue. Good luck and let us know what you find.

I think only after I'm done mowing. I haven't spent much time looking at it, but it seemed to have oil on lots of different places on the case. The whole bottom had oil, and I think a lot of oil residue on the back side as well. Was dry under the mid-PTO shaft.

That's why I was thinking an overflow, because it seems to be coming out up high on the case and coating the case, then running down to the bottom.

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
I think only after I'm done mowing. I haven't spent much time looking at it, but it seemed to have oil on lots of different places on the case. The whole bottom had oil, and I think a lot of oil residue on the back side as well. Was dry under the mid-PTO shaft.

That's why I was thinking an overflow, because it seems to be coming out up high on the case and coating the case, then running down to the bottom.
I think that you are correct that it is coming from a vent or even through the fill plug. If you have a clean syringe, I would remove the fluid that is overfilled and then give it a whirl and see what you can see. I would clean the oil off the trans to see if anything new has come out.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is no "overflow".
It does have a vent, and yes being over filled can cause it to push some out the vent.

I would call the dealer, they are't going to randomly "open up the case" that's pretty extreme.

Captaincj

Apr 2, 2019
Hugo, MN
Thanks guys.

Even if they won't open the case, I don't have any interest in transporting the tractor or having to schedule a time for them to pick it up or drop it off if it's just a simple case of fluid coming out the vent.

I'm going to get some fluid out of the case, wipe it all down good and mow the grass next weekend. Hopefully problem solved.

If not, then I guess I'm calling the dealer.

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
Thanks guys.

Even if they won't open the case, I don't have any interest in transporting the tractor or having to schedule a time for them to pick it up or drop it off if it's just a simple case of fluid coming out the vent.

I'm going to get some fluid out of the case, wipe it all down good and mow the grass next weekend. Hopefully problem solved.

If not, then I guess I'm calling the dealer.
So how did you make out? Did you find the issue?
Chris

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Captaincj

Apr 2, 2019
Hugo, MN
So how did you make out? Did you find the issue?
Chris

Thanks for checking back, so far I haven't made much progress. Been busy with work and life... Mowed a few more times, still some leak, seems to be less. Oil level is now just a touch above the full mark on the dipstick. Gonna wipe it down clean again now that the oil is where it's supposed to be and hope it's stopped leaking.

Had time to go through all the manuals to learn what items need to be checked and discovered my front axel fluid level is so low it doesn't even touch the bottom of the dipstick. That's with 6 hours on the tractor and NO leaks from the front axel....

And the mower deck that was supposed to nicely adjusted when I picked it up? It wasn't. Had to level it when I got home.

Stealership didn't really nail this assembly/delivery.

Captaincj

Apr 2, 2019
Hugo, MN
Captiancj, can you get some out with a turkey baster?
It's basically now at the top of the normal range. So hopefully it won't vent/leak anymore.

The oil seems to be coming from the top of the HST, left side, when looking at the HST from the rear.

Not sure if that's where the vent is located.

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
The front axle is no big deal. Mine did the same thing and I knew it was full at the dealer because they went over the entire machine with me. It is just because there are air pockets that finally make their way out. Topping off the fluid should solve the issue. As for the leak, I will keep following this thread. Seems like it is just and overfill situation that you seem to be nailing down.

Chris