New BX1860 owner looking for advise

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Hi, I just bought a new BX1860 to use on my new 5 acre property. I have never owned a tractor or even a rider mower before now. I have a 54" MMM and a FEL that came with the tractor.

My property is mostly flat but has more rocks on it than I have ever seen in my life. I have used a middle buster to plow up a small garden and have used the FEL to move about 10 tons of rocks out of the garden.

I have used the MMM to mow Scotch Broom that was way out of control and have so far moved about 30 tons of rock from the front of my property to the back of it. With the rocks that I removed from the garden and the rocks that I removed from the front yard, the total is about 40 tons so far. I have a lot more to remove. I have had to sharpen the MMM blades about 10 times so far. I bought some new blades from Agri Supply Center but I am waiting to put them on until after I have removed some more rocks from the yard.

My immediate goal is to get a lawn established in the front yard and to remove a lot of rocks from all over the yard. I plan to bring in a lot of top soil for the front yard and some fill dirt with some top soil in the back yard. I will have to find a way to spread all that dirt. I really don't have any idea on how to do that yet.

I do not have any time constraints for this project. This is my retirement home and I literally have the rest of my life to get the work done.

So far, I have discovered that I really should have bought a bigger tractor. However, my finances do not allow for an upgrade right now. So, I must get all the work done with what I have.

All that being said, I would like to get some advise from this forum on what are the best implements to purchase for the work that I described, where to buy them at a fair price and any advise that may be offered on how to best utilize my equipment.

I have been thinking about getting some sort of a rock rake to gather up the rocks. However, I do not know if such an implement exists and if it could handle some rocks that weigh as much as 70 pounds or so. I have an abundance of rocks that weigh anywhere from 2 pounds to about 35 pounds; but, there are may be as many as 5% of the rocks that weigh as much as 70 pounds.

So, any advise that can be offered will be very much appreciated.

howie70

Equipment
BX2370
May 29, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Hello armylifer.
I am new to the forum also and new to the Kubota world. I am far from being an expert but I have owned an old Ford 9N and a Massey Harris MF50 in the past that I did a lot of ground work with around my house.
You have a front end loader so that is a big plus and a very useful tool. As far as spreading dirt, my suggestion would be a box blade along with your loader. When I had one for my other tractors it got more use than any implement I had. You may possibly even want a regular scraper blade also.
I have never owned a "rock rake", but I have read that they will not do much with larger rocks like you mentioned. But perhaps someone who has used one can offer more advice on that.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Box blade gets my vote to spread the topsoil and filldirt. Next suggestion is a pulverizer, thats a more affordable approach to getting the rocks and debris up out of the way and into a pile and leave the dirt behind. I use my tractor in my landscape business so if you need any help or info on dirt working and lawn work feel free to get a hold of me and I will lend my knowledge anyway I can.

http://www.landpride.com/products/108/sp20-series-soil-pulverizers

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Thank you Eric and Howie!

I took a look at the link that Eric provided and I think that a box scraper looks like the most useful tool for my immediate needs. It looks to me like the BB05 or the BB12 would do the dirt spreading and driveway maintenance. The question that I have is; what are the differences between the BB05 series and the BB12 series? I would also value an opinion on what width I should consider. I am thinking about the 48" or the 54".

howie70

Equipment
BX2370
May 29, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, VA
army,

The BB12 is a heavier unit than the BB05. Comparing the 4' model in each, the BB05 is 277 pounds and the BB12 is 316 pounds.
I am looking for a box blade for my BX2370. Personally, I am planning on going with a 4'.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
First: Welcome to the neighborhood.

Second: The box scraper gets my vote. That along with your FEL should do you fine.

Third: Your BX1860 will do fine. They say you can't move a mountain....I disagree you can move it, it just takes a little longer ;)

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Power Rake is the cats meow when it comes to a dirt working tool. I'd love to have one but I don't have about 6 thousand to fork over for one right now!

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
It seems that the box scraper has a lot of fans. Now I have to go shopping. Thank you all for your advise.

Last edited:

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
I have the same tractor and attachments. It is a step down from a 26 HP Blue tractor that I had to pass on to a son. This smaller trisector is for a city lot. All I can say is I should have tested every use before getting it. While the front end loader works great, the PTO control is not "standard". It is basically a valve that goes either up or down and is not one to set the height of the pto arms. That makes it very difficult to do smooth grading or any such thing as plowing snow with a rear blade. However, in spite of that, I have gotten used to this very bad design. The PTO lever is in the wrong place also, making it difficult to look backwards and reach that lever,, So I added a rod that reaches back far enuff to run the lever from a distance (using hose clamps).

I suggest looking at the other thread dealing with the box blade and my comments about fine grading with the bucket by back dragging the bucket.. I think you will find that will "save the day" with the limitations of this machine. A wide box may not work well since this is a small tractor. I'd stay at 4 ft. width.

On the subject of this BX, I continue to have trouble with it starving for fuel at a half empty tank. I finally figured it is a combination of a partly plugged filter and a plugged tank cap. Changing fuel filters now is easier that I have added a shut-off valve just under the fuel tank. Even using a funnel with very fine screen has not stopped the plugging, that may be due to Bacteria in the fuel.

In my experience, I have had several tractors and have sold each at the price or higher than what I paid. Consider that option if the bad PTO lever thing bugs you also.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have the same tractor and attachments. It is a step down from a 26 HP Blue tractor that I had to pass on to a son. This smaller trisector is for a city lot. All I can say is I should have tested every use before getting it. While the front end loader works great, the PTO control is not "standard". It is basically a valve that goes either up or down and is not one to set the height of the pto arms. That makes it very difficult to do smooth grading or any such thing as plowing snow with a rear blade. However, in spite of that, I have gotten used to this very bad design. The PTO lever is in the wrong place also, making it difficult to look backwards and reach that lever,, So I added a rod that reaches back far enuff to run the lever from a distance (using hose clamps).

I suggest looking at the other thread dealing with the box blade and my comments about fine grading with the bucket by back dragging the bucket.. I think you will find that will "save the day" with the limitations of this machine. A wide box may not work well since this is a small tractor. I'd stay at 4 ft. width.

On the subject of this BX, I continue to have trouble with it starving for fuel at a half empty tank. I finally figured it is a combination of a partly plugged filter and a plugged tank cap. Changing fuel filters now is easier that I have added a shut-off valve just under the fuel tank. Even using a funnel with very fine screen has not stopped the plugging, that may be due to Bacteria in the fuel.

In my experience, I have had several tractors and have sold each at the price or higher than what I paid. Consider that option if the bad PTO lever thing bugs you also.
I actually don't have any experience with tractors so I don't know how to judge what is inconvenient or bad design.

When I bought my tractor I was looking for something with a diesel engine because gasoline engines suck. All of my vehicles are diesel so that is what I stick with. I don't have to store any other kind of fuel in bulk and that is a big plus.

If you do have bacteria in your fuel it will cause lots of problems, including clogged filter(s). The way to prevent that is to keep your fuel dry. Bacteria only forms because of moisture in the fuel. You almost cannot get away from a little moisture but there are biocides that will help keep bacteria from forming. I also add one ounce of acetone to each 5 gallons of fuel in the winter to help absorb any condensation in the fuel. The acetone does not hurt anything if you do not get silly with it. Another thing is to stay away from bio-Diesel. That junk attracts water like a magnet to steel. Last, keep your fuel stock rotated. Don't store more fuel than you will use in a typical year. I keep mine in two 55 gal drums and rotate which drum that I draw from.

In any case, I will get used to this tractor and learn to work within its limitations. So far, I am very happy with it, but that is probably because I have never owned any other one.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
All I can say is I should have tested every use before getting it. While the front end loader works great, the PTO control is not "standard". It is basically a valve that goes either up or down and is not one to set the height of the pto arms. That makes it very difficult to do smooth grading or any such thing as plowing snow with a rear blade.
Boss I think your seriously confused as to what levers your playing with. The PTO lever or power take off engages the pto shaft off the back of the tractor to power things like a bush hog and finishing mower.

The three point hitch is what lifts and lowers the toys to the ground. And your model tractor should have a draft control on it that you can set and run and implement at a consistent height. It's a lever to the right hand side of the seat. It's in a great location for read grading work as most everyone turns to the right to look behind them.

howie70

Equipment
BX2370
May 29, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Boss I think your seriously confused as to what levers your playing with. The PTO lever or power take off engages the pto shaft off the back of the tractor to power things like a bush hog and finishing mower.

The three point hitch is what lifts and lowers the toys to the ground. And your model tractor should have a draft control on it that you can set and run and implement at a consistent height. It's a lever to the right hand side of the seat. It's in a great location for read grading work as most everyone turns to the right to look behind them.
Eric, I am thinking you're correct! I was trying to figure out what cerlawson could have been doing that would cause no height control. And call me crazy, but I do attempt to test everything I can before purchasing something that is such a large investment. We can all miss little things, but not being happy with placement of levers is something that is obvious as soon as you sit on the seat.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Howie I just noticed we're neighbors! I'm dowb the hill in Richmond and Hodge lives up in your neck of the woods around Waynesboro.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OHHHHHHHHHHHH I can see it now the first annual ORANGE meet and greet,,,,lol

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
First: Welcome to the neighborhood.

Second: The box scraper gets my vote. That along with your FEL should do you fine.

Third: Your BX1860 will do fine. They say you can't move a mountain....I disagree you can move it, it just takes a little longer ;)
I finally purchased a LandPride box scraper. I bought the BB1548. This coming weekend I'll be practicing using it in the back part of my property that I cannot see from the house. I don't want to use it yet where the neighbors or my wife can see the carnage that I intend to make.

I have watched the YouTube videos from everythingattachments.com on how to use this box scraper. They sure make it look easy to use.

Anyway, I thank all of you for the advice that you provided. Now I guess that it's time to have some fun and use my new tool.:)

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Seat time is the best method for gaining experiance. There really is no right or wrong way to run a box blade. Well the wrong way would be breaking it in half but you'll do fine and be amazed at what you can do.

Doug Ulfers

Equipment
BX 2370
Oct 1, 2013
Corvallis, Oregon
I'm new to tractors also..Am about 60 hours into a new BX 2370..Added a Land pride 1248 box blade, I believe the numbers are..Have the FEL as well...Am very impressed with the amount of hard packed clay, and gravel this baby can move around, when you drop the rippers all the way down..So far I have mostly used the BB for driveway reconditioning...The BB also makes great ballast (320 lbs ) for when I'm maxing out the FEL...I built a plywood box and clamped to the bucket, for hauling firewood about 300 feet. I could get the back wheels almost off the ground with a full load of oak before i got the BB on it! In general I have been very impressed with the little things (23 HP ) power and economy...Over 60 hours it's used 20 gals of fuel....3 hour of work per gallon of fuel!!

Last edited: