New BX1860 owner looking for advise

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Eric and friends. My age is 85 and I sometimes type the wrong things. PTO yes, means Power Take Off and for the rear arms I should have said Rear Hydraulic Control Lever, or 3 Pt control, or maybe Draft Control lever (but there is no standard draft or standard position control on the BX). Note the word "standard". Admittedly you can do things with this method of controlling the rear arms, but once you are used to the "standard" way these work on other tractors, including other makes of low power rating, it was a disappointment. I'm living with it since it now is used mainly for snow plowing, no earth grading. And if one reads many of these posts, I am not the only one to complain about this.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Eric and friends. My age is 85 and I sometimes type the wrong things. PTO yes, means Power Take Off and for the rear arms I should have said Rear Hydraulic Control Lever, or 3 Pt control, or maybe Draft Control lever (but there is no standard draft or standard position control on the BX). Note the word "standard". Admittedly you can do things with this method of controlling the rear arms, but once you are used to the "standard" way these work on other tractors, including other makes of low power rating, it was a disappointment. I'm living with it since it now is used mainly for snow plowing, no earth grading. And if one reads many of these posts, I am not the only one to complain about this.
Here is a decent You Tube on function and nomenclature: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX5J5suE-Gs

I have two BX's and a John Deere 2305 and also dislike the 3PH on all of them though the quarter inching valve type on the later models are a slight improvement. Position control is not available on the BX, but I can live with it though I much prefer it over quarter inching. I looked at the John Deere 1026R which has position control and while a nice machine still prefer the BX.

I had hopes the new BX would upgrade, but realize a lot of retooling is needed and it would require a price increase. But since JD did it with their 1023/1026, maybe some day. I would be willing to pay the difference, but may be in the minority.