New BX 23S

03marauderman

Equipment
Kubota BX 23S
Sep 27, 2018
Plattekill
Polishammer....OK so the engines fit other applications...so I would guess they are made & stock piled and pulled when the assembly need arises? - Still does not accurately validate the build date....I guess the Messick youtube along with the comment from the other blogger is the answer for the year of the tractor...The sale date....Regarding the hood.....It was never opened when the tractor was delivered..The driver unloaded it went over a few things briefly and off he went...Shortly after my welcoming party left I tried to open it and the lever will not budge...using hand strength...I'm not going to strike it with a rubber mallet, I'll let the dealer take care of that this way if they damage the latch or the hood its on them....My friend has a BX22 and it has a pull knob on the dash and works like a charm...However corporate always feels the need to reinvent the wheel, just can't leave well enough alone.....

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
I help out delivering tractors at my Kubota dealership. On the 23S there is a spring pushing holding tension on the hood against the latch. All you have to do is push down on the hood with one hand to take pressure off of it, and open the latch with the other.

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
On our BX2380, to open the hood, you actually pull up on the hood release lever and then move it towards you.
There is even a little label right next to the lever. What does your label say?

03marauderman

Equipment
Kubota BX 23S
Sep 27, 2018
Plattekill
Didn't think of pushing down on the hood....but I opened several hoods on BX23S & it was a little quirky by manipulating the lever till it opened, never had to push down on any hoods....I don't have a label next to the lever that I recall will check it tomorrow when I try to open the hood by pushing down...

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
On our BX2380, to open the hood, you actually pull up on the hood release lever and then move it towards you.
Winner!

You need to scoop the lever up as you move it to the left. Dont know why... it's just what works.

Once you get the trick you'll open the hood no problem.

03marauderman

Equipment
Kubota BX 23S
Sep 27, 2018
Plattekill
Was able to get the hood open as suggested by the Kubota Tech, buy pushing down on the hood..But still had to fuss with it.....I have opened these hoods with the latch, without touching the hood, so it still isn't right....I guess on some you have to push down and others not...I will never give credit to that poor design in my opinion, especially after seeing the pull knob on the dash on a 16 yr. old BX22

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Tractors... sale date is the date of the tractor.
So regardless when it was actually made, it's now a 2018 tractor, and you were delivered and received a 2018 tractor! ;)
DMV rules in any US state, do not apply to tractors or equipment.
There is no vin # on tractors, only a serial #.
And sun fade is not covered by any Kubota warranty an does not play much of a role
Wanting a dealer to take back a unit that you agreed to delivery of and accepted delivery of, and then later regret over that issue is not going to be taken very seriously, sorry but just stating facts.
Well that is not totally correct. The sales date in tractors is when the warranty new date is. Manufacture date is still manufacture date. You go looking for parts, serial numbers are used to determine manufacture date for running changes. A tractor sold new in October 2018 but was built in January 2017 may not be the same 2018 tractor as one built in September 2018. There could be running changes that means it has small part changes. So if you go in a day to the parts guy that you have a 2018 because that was when it was first sold but was actually manufactured in 2017 with 2016 parts, then you might not get the correct part.

Last edited:

03marauderman

Equipment
Kubota BX 23S
Sep 27, 2018
Plattekill
BAP - Excellent point...with regards to replacement parts...the serial & model number dictate the correct replacement part....I would assume the warrantee to the consumer starts on the day the tractor was transferred from the dealer to the purchaser....and not necessarily on the sale date...In my case I paid for the tractor in full, and took delivery 2 weeks later....You can bet your bippie that at the end of the warrantee period I will stomp my feet that the warrantee expires on the date I took delivery not the purchasing date....I rest my case with Messicks video that addresses 'year of tractor' - that's the standard of the tractor & equipment industry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4LwzjYCXoY

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Did you pay cash? Mine is financed and Kubota requires the serial # on the sales agreement. So there is no way the dealer could change it from what I signed without me knowing, as I got a copy right there.

Anyway, if they replace the sun worn parts and it runs great...just enjoy it! Get some tractor time and post some pics!

03marauderman

Equipment
Kubota BX 23S
Sep 27, 2018
Plattekill
Did I pay cash? - Well this opens up another chapter....I actually bought a used clean 2002 BX22 with a bucket, backhoe, mid mount 60" mower and 60" snow plow...Garage kept unit, with all the maintenance records from the owner in a binder. 833 hours, Price w/tax $13750. I asked about the warrantee - 30 days....It was going to be a few days before they delivered it as they were going to service it.....In that time I got thinking about the hours & warrantee.... I was $7658. away from a brand new one. I didn't need to mower as I have a zero turn which in my opinion spanks the pants off any other type mower, besides I mow about 2 acres with many obstacles so the tractor would be an over kill.....I stopped back at the dealer and told him I decided on a new one vs. the used....before they delivered the used one....So to answer your question.. The $13750. was the down payment & I financed with Kubota the $7658. @ zero percent.....The new tractor was delivered to me on Sept. 20th. and as of yesterday Nov. 1st. the dealer never submitted the paperwork for the loan....this translates to the dealer never receiving the $7658. My original invoice had no info other than my name, address & 'New Tractor' for the description no serial numbers what so ever....Yesterday they made the corrections and I now have a proper invoice with the numbers....This dealer has been around a very long time and I feel their doing business the old fashion way. Its seems like there's not loosing any sleep over getting paid or giving someone a piece of equipment on a hand shake. They took my personal check without hesitation....not knowing who I was, other than being a local....Despite the new tractor not being perfect, I'm OK just got to put things in perspective.....

Polishammer

Jul 22, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Here's the numbers: Serial # 4HR0977 Code 1J025-13000

D902-E4 BX2380

These are all the numbers on the valve cover............

Based on the numbers above, the engine was manufactured sometimes in August 2017, so the tractors a month or so after. Since you said you purchased the tractor in September of 2018 it means it was sitting somewhere for a year. Since most of them sit outside, this explains the fading on the panels.