New B2601 owner with a question

cuboodle

Equipment
B2601
May 9, 2023
PA
First thanks to all, lots of great info here!! First post after lots of reading.
Taking delivery of a B2601 with FEL MM mower and box blade. As with most new equipment ie motorcycles and generators etc. I've been inclined to do an oil and filter change at like 5 to 7 hrs but the manual says 50 hrs. Would it be smart to do one at say 5 to get rid of wear in particles? or just wait till the 50 hr service? BTW im new to diesel engines this will be my first.

RMS

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, RCR1260, PFL1242, LX2963, RB1684, WC-68 Chipper,Flail Mower
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
Go with the manual's service schedule and you will be fine.

Reactions: 4 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
First, Congratulations man!!! That awesome.

Pics are always welcome. 🍺

Go with the manual's service schedule and you will be fine.
I agree.

Nothing wrong with changing the oil/filter sooner, but at 5 hours, its probably seen as overkill by most people.

But hey, it's your tractor, so have at if it makes you feel better.

Paul

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
One way to look at this is, a motorcycle, generator etc are devices that typically run at a high RPM right off the bat. A generator needs to get to "X" RPM to be effective. A motorcycle rarely sees only 2K rpm's.

You Kubota is good to go right from the get go - (say that 3 times fast!)

You are more welcome to change the oil at any hour/year you wish - many here will tell you once a year, every 50 hours.... the list goes on.

Can you change it too soon and waste money? Sure. Can you wait too long and damage something? Yes.

First thing about a diesel - typically, it will darken an engine oil quickly - that is a good thing! The oil is made to capture all the little particles that get by the rings and whatnot. ALWAY use DIESEL engine oils - not gasoline engine oils for this very reason.

I would use the Kubota filters throughout however.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
One way to look at this is, a motorcycle, generator etc are devices that typically run at a high RPM right off the bat. A generator needs to get to "X" RPM to be effective. A motorcycle rarely sees only 2K rpm's.

You Kubota is good to go right from the get go - (say that 3 times fast!)

You are more welcome to change the oil at any hour/year you wish - many here will tell you once a year, every 50 hours.... the list goes on.

Can you change it too soon and waste money? Sure. Can you wait too long and damage something? Yes.

First thing about a diesel - typically, it will darken an engine oil quickly - that is a good thing! The oil is made to capture all the little particles that get by the rings and whatnot. ALWAY use DIESEL engine oils - not gasoline engine oils for this very reason.

I would use the Kubota filters throughout however.
I never have understood the "use Kubota filters" thing!
I have never used Ford filters on my Fords,
Nor GM filters on my GM's, or MB filters on my MB's.

My thought, is to simply buy a quality brand name filter.
Wix (NAPA is the same), Fleetguard, Baldwin, Mann, Bosch, etc.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I never have understood the "use Kubota filters" thing!
I have never used Ford filters on my Fords,
Nor GM filters on my GM's, or MB filters on my MB's.

My thought, is to simply buy a quality brand name filter.
Wix (NAPA is the same), Baldwin, Mann, Bosch, etc.
I totally agree!!!!! And I'll be the first one to admit that I should know better than to fall for the marketing BS.

I have never used Dodge oil/filters in any of my Cummins, only Shell Rotella and Fram or Wix filters.

My wifes Dodge van gets Wally World synthetic oil and filters, and has 140 K......

However; Embarrassingly enough, I only use Yamaha oil filters and YamaLube in my Yami's

AND to add insult to injury, I only used Kubota oil and filters in the General Lee.

For some strange reason, I can't stop myself from using factory oil and filters on some things.:unsure:

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
The exception to the "car oil" rule was my wifes VW TDI.

All the TDI forums agreed that you had to buy the oil from the dealer, or you would smoke the turbo. It was like 11 bucks a quart and was some special Castrol blend that apparently could not be substituted. Had 300K on it when I got rid of it so I dunno.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I totally agree!!!!! And I'll be the first one to admit that I should know better than to fall for the marketing BS.

I have never used Dodge oil/filters in any of my Cummins, only Shell Rotella and Fram or Wix filters.

My wifes Dodge van gets Wally World synthetic oil and filters, and has 140 K......

However; Embarrassingly enough, I only use Yamaha oil filters and YamaLube in my Yami's

AND to add insult to injury, I only used Kubota oil and filters in the General Lee.

For some strange reason, I can't stop myself from using factory oil and filters on some things.:unsure:
First, to address the OP’s question: I went with the manual directions to do the servicing at 50 hours. Neither the oil or hydraulic fluid filters were very dirty and I found very little debris or metal flakes. It would be a waste of money and resources to change oil at 5 hours. I went with the Kubota filters, but used Valvoline extreme synthetic diesel oil for the engine. For my truck, I have always used Fleetgard (Cummins) filters in my Cummins. That motor is too expensive to take a chance. I buy them at the local Cummins truck shop for only a few bucks more than the cheapy Fram filters. Most parts at the Cummins shop are way cheaper than Dodge/Ram and they are OEM. I suspect that the Mopar parts sold for Cummins engines are simply repainted/badged Fleetgard parts.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I buy Kubota filters only because the dealer is 3 miles away, they are reasonably priced, and I'm too lazy to cross it over to anything else. I paint the ugly white canister with a Rust Oleum gray paint that is a dead nuts match for Kubota gray so it looks nice.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
Be sure to read the owner's manual, either upon delivery or sooner if you can find it online. IMO 5 hours on a Kubota diesel engine seems way overkill. The manual specifies engine operational info for the first 50 hours which is designed to properly break-in and condition the engine, I would recommend following those guidelines (generally, limiting RPM's during that initial period of operation).

In fact, the 50 hour filter change is practically overkill itself (I'm still gonna do it however) but that is the specified interval.

As far as engine oil, there's loads of differing opinions on which oil to use, and how long the service interval should be. Many respondents will advise switching from a Kubota-branded engine oil to some aftermarket brand, for various reasons. E.G., owners who use their tractors for winter snow removal (or any other winter use) may find that a diesel-rated 5w-40 oil is a good choice, for the fact that it provides easier starting in colder conditions and likely faster warm-ups. Personally, I'm a fan of full-synthetic engine oils and use 5w-40 year-round in my Cummins; but I don't get the tractor out much in winter so I'll be sticking with 15-40 diesel-rated full synthetic engine oil. One other point is that the B2601 is not equipped with any diesel emission reduction components (26HP and under exempt from the emission requirements); those components contribute to engine oil contamination much more rapidly than a non-emission equipped diesel engine.

One of the most important (and frequent) maintenance items is greasing the various points on the tractor and attachments; the manual (iirc) specifies a 10-hour interval for that task. I'm currently using a non-Kubota grease that was recc'd by my dealer (Lucas Red & Tacky) and sticking carefully to the lubrication intervals. Many here will tell you that any grease is better than no grease.

Finally.....Welcome to the best Kubota forum there is :) Enjoy that wonderful machine. Pics encouraged!

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

I have never used Dodge Oil in any of my Cummins, only Shell Rotella and Fram or Wix filters.

My wifes van gets Wally World synthetic oil and filters, and has 140 K......

"Project Farm" testing showed Wally World's Supertech to be among the best oils (gas engines).
Probably mfg. by Warren oil?

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I buy Kubota filters only because the dealer is 3 miles away, they are reasonably priced, and I'm too lazy to cross it over to anything else. I paint the ugly white canister with a Rust Oleum gray paint that is a dead nuts match for Kubota gray so it looks nice.
That’s taking it to the next level for sure.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon

Interesting. I do exactly the same thing with my ATVs and Kubotas. I do it because I like my equipment more than I like my cars. But I do use OEM filters in the cars, but they get Mobil 1 synthetic oil. I guess it do any of it because I’m picky. And I change it myself on all of them because I don’t trust others to not screw up my stuff and it gives me an opportunity to inspect my equipment and vehicles up close and personal while I do it. Occasionally I find something I can attend to now and prevent a larger problem later.

Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
"Project Farm" testing showed Wally World's Supertech to be among the best oils (gas engines).
Probably mfg. by Warren oil?
Hmm....I did not know that. Just dumb luck on my part (mixed in with a little frugality) (y)

It's interesting to observe the human pysche at work......These oil and lube threads dig at our very core...

Now that we've settled that, lets settle the next biggie.....the best home defense caliber is....

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Now that we've settled that, lets settle the next biggie.....the best home defense caliber is....
Damn near any "shot" from a 12 gauge ...... hard to miss the target! Just point - no aiming needed.

Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hmm....I did not know that. Just dumb luck on my part (mixed in with a little frugality) (y)

It's interesting to observe the human pysche at work......These oil and lube threads dig at our very core...

For an old guy........9mm.....it has a very manageable recoil for old arthritic hands.
Though "in home".......a 12GA buckshot is preferred.

Last edited: