NEW 2920 to forum. with Q

T86930

Equipment
Aug 16, 2018
myr sc
just bought my first tractor, a 2920 with 165hrs for 17k. FEL and BH.
just got finished with my first project, replacing a bad leach line for my grey water septic, only cost me 17,700!!!

the BH, I can operate the dipper stick and bucket fine but the boom is extremely jerky. no matter how slow I move the control, as soon as it moves it takes off.
funny thing is I can move the boom and dipper away from me smoothly and at the same time, its just where it is important as in digging that it is jerky. even if moving the boom back up when it drops down, it will slam at the top.
is there an adjustment for this?

the hydro is pretty noisy in the HI range. normal?

what oil should I use in the engine. can I use rottella synthetic that i use in the F250?

just ordered a box blade from everything attachments. that hurt. really wanted to find a used one.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
the BH, I can operate the dipper stick and bucket fine but the boom is extremely jerky. no matter how slow I move the control, as soon as it moves it takes off.
funny thing is I can move the boom and dipper away from me smoothly and at the same time, its just where it is important as in digging that it is jerky. even if moving the boom back up when it drops down, it will slam at the top.
is there an adjustment for this?

Something is wrong here.....no "adjustment" sounds like you have "trash" or something in that line or valve

the hydro is pretty noisy in the HI range. normal? YES !!
But there is a fix .....you should change out the hydraulic oil with Kubota S-UDT2 .....it will get better, I promise!;)

what oil should I use in the engine. can I use rottella synthetic that i use in the F250? Absolutely T-6 15w-40 or even 5w-40

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Welcome aboard and congratulations on your tractor. I have the B2920 that I bought new and love. I do everything with it from moving dirt, mowing lawn, blowing snow, dragging out wood, brush mowing, digging ditches and much more. Sounds like there might be something in the valve or the cylinder causing problems. Other thing, what RPMs are you running the tractor at? Did you check the hydraulic fluid level? I did find that when I changed to synthetic oil it helped the noise.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
pull the cover for the backhoe control valves. look at the linkages for the left stick. make sure they are centered where the control stick mounts to them (not twisted joints). After checking that, you may be able to adjust the length of rods that are used for boom up/down.

That's where I'd start anyway.

and yes, as pointed out above, maybe drop the rpms a bit. That usually helps smooth the BH operation out

Last edited:

T86930

Equipment
Aug 16, 2018
myr sc
I run it at 1400rpm when working the BH.

how much oil do I need for the hydro.

its like the initial opening of the valve when I move the control is too much.
once moving, if I have to move it a lot, I can slow it down a little and somewhat control it.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Does the control lever move hard, maybe spray the linkage and top of the valves with some lubricant. Maybe that particular valve is sticking.

T86930

Equipment
Aug 16, 2018
myr sc
no, very smooth.
its getting frustrating because I know I can do much better on the BH.

still love the tractor.
been looking at used ones for years now, just really could not justify the money to buy one.
a BX25 with a mower popped up along with this one. the BX was 16.5 with 100hrs on it. the 2920 18.9. too much, I figured I could get bigger for 16.5.
the BX sold and the guy with the 2920 was not coming down and I was not going to pay that much for it, besides, I have seen B26's for less than that.
so I waited him out. finally he called ME with the 17k price.
you know I have always researched what things SELL for, but seeing wont they DONT sell for says a lot about the market.

hope I got it at a good price.