Need weight on the front

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
I filled my front tires about 5 months ago, nothing but good news. I did it since I live on top of a hill and have to bushhog it from time to time and was having trouble getting up the hill while bushhogging.

I would not reverse/flip the front tires/wheels due to concerns about overloading the front wheel bearings. Plus there is no advantage, since the front axle pivots. The front wheel tires filler stems are protected, so there's no advantage there, IMO.

I have my rear tires/wheels flipped/reversed such that I have them as the widest possible configuration. This obviously has advantages, stability on hills being one of them.

huntersprings

Equipment
M4800
Dec 7, 2014
Taft, TN USA
I reversed the front wheels/tires for more width; similar to the same reason that you reversed your back wheels/tires. The two pictures attached show the reversal of the fronts. The pic with the mower in front is after widening the fronts. Notice the concave wheels on both front and back now match including the outside bolt heads. My farm looks very similar to the terrain of yours so any added stability makes me feel better. And it looks better to me:D

However, I can see how this might put additional stress on the bearings but has anybody experienced a problem with reversing the wheels? I don't want to be the first to admit it so I'm all ears. Yesterday I bought a weight bracket for the front. It weighed 88 lbs itself which should help keep the tires in the dirt. But it may not help with the potential bearing issue.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Your not going to do a thing for your stability on hills having a wider front, Rear yes, front no, the front pivots therefor it does nothing to keep the tractor upright.;)
And yes I've had to repair many a front end bearing setup because someone thought it looked cool to have a wide front end. :cool:

huntersprings

Equipment
M4800
Dec 7, 2014
Taft, TN USA
Good enough for me. I'd rather learn through other people's mistakes. Guess I'll switch them back. Won't be as easy this time since they weigh an extra 100 lbs but beats a repair bill. Thanks!

FTG-05

Equipment
Jul 21, 2013
TN
If you need help, give me a call. I know how having an extra set of hands (never mind a back) can help in seemingly simple jobs.

Good enough for me. I'd rather learn through other people's mistakes. Guess I'll switch them back. Won't be as easy this time since they weigh an extra 100 lbs but beats a repair bill. Thanks!

huntersprings

Equipment
M4800
Dec 7, 2014
Taft, TN USA
Thanks FTG for the offer to help. My wife weighs about as much as one of the tires so she won't be much help. I saw a post on here a couple weeks ago where a guy used an auto creeper to move his tires around. I may give that a try first. Got a bad reputation for trying to do things myself. Hasn't always worked out the best way but just gotta try. Thanks.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
"Thanks FTG for the offer to help. My wife weighs about as much as one of the tires so she won't be much help. I saw a post on here a couple weeks ago where a guy used an auto creeper to move his tires around. I may give that a try first. Got a bad reputation for trying to do things myself. Hasn't always worked out the best way but just gotta try. Thanks."

This post reminded me of an accident, and knowing about it may save an injury.

Person was changing tires loaded with fluid in a local CO-OP shop. He removed a tire and didn't have good control, lost his balance and was crushed. He neglected to clean the floor before he started the work. There was granular nitrogen fertilizer on the floor. Kinda like walking on BB's while balancing a heavy object. BE CAUTIOUS.

p t farmer

Equipment
L4330 GST
Nov 18, 2013
Manassas, VA
Have you thought about adding an FEL? That would solve most of your weight issues. I use the FEL constantly. I can't imagine a tractor without one.

FTG-05

Equipment
Jul 21, 2013
TN
Thanks FTG for the offer to help. My wife weighs about as much as one of the tires so she won't be much help. I saw a post on here a couple weeks ago where a guy used an auto creeper to move his tires around. I may give that a try first. Got a bad reputation for trying to do things myself. Hasn't always worked out the best way but just gotta try. Thanks.
No problem, good luck!

Have you thought about adding an FEL? That would solve most of your weight issues. I use the FEL constantly. I can't imagine a tractor without one.
Neither can I.

huntersprings

Equipment
M4800
Dec 7, 2014
Taft, TN USA
I shopped for several months before buying this tractor. Except for the missing FEL I love it. My primary objective was to have at least 50 HP, 4-wheel drive and a FEL. My budget got hit when a HVAC unit went out:( I couldn't find anything within the budget that had a loader. So my plan was to add it later.

I ran into a complication after buying the tractor. Currently there is not an auxillary remote on the tractor. I called the two closest dealerships and both told me that Kubota was going to discontinue making remotes for this model tractor. They said "they may make a few more but they won't be ready till April. I have an order in and have my fingers crossed.

FTG-05

Equipment
Jul 21, 2013
TN
One other thought on that:

I have an FEL and while using my tractor to bushhog the hill I live on, I put two 30 gallon barrels filled with water in my FEL to help with traction while climbing up the hill. Filling the front tractor tires with 12 gallons of a water/WW/RV antifreeze mixture was more effective than the 60 gallons of water in the FEL. I also added 180 lbs to the front weight/grill guard.

huntersprings

Equipment
M4800
Dec 7, 2014
Taft, TN USA
I switched the front tires back today after recommendations that widening the fronts could wear out the bearings. With the help of a hoyer lift the job was effortless and safe.

Attachments