Need to bleed hydraulic lines for new attachment?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
OK - that EA coupler is a Safeway S40 series coupler and does not interchange with the S20 series on your old grapple. You will need to replace something and the easiest is going to be the couplers on the EA grapple.

Edit: Scratch that!! After checking the Safeway catalog the S40 and S20 are both listed as AG couplers and use the exact same nipples. The difference is the S40 female is a two way sleeve push/pull to connect coupler. I use them a lot and should have remembered that. Are you sure you are getting the sleeve locked? You don't retract it to connect - it actually extends to connect. Just grasp the sleeve tightly and push it onto the nipple and then let go - it will lock automagically.

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

milanmark

Equipment
B2601, Bucket, Grapple, Brush hog, stump bucket is ordered!
Jul 7, 2021
Milan, MI
OK - that EA coupler is a Safeway S40 series coupler and does not interchange with the S20 series on your old grapple. You will need to replace something and the easiest is going to be the couplers on the EA grapple.

Edit: Scratch that!! After checking the Safeway catalog the S40 and S20 are both listed as AG couplers and use the exact same nipples. The difference is the S40 female is a two way sleeve push/pull to connect coupler. I use them a lot and should have remembered that. Are you sure you are getting the sleeve locked? You don't retract it to connect - it actually extends to connect. Just grasp the sleeve tightly and push it onto the nipple and then let go - it will lock automagically.

Dan
Got all excited when I read this and ran out there to try it... sorry to say no luck.... boohoo!
And no the sleeve doesn't feel like it is locked, has about an 1/8" slop push pull but it doesn't come off....
Not sure what to do next... Tried both ways, retract to connect and push pull, same result....

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Got all excited when I read this and ran out there to try it... sorry to say no luck.... boohoo!
And no the sleeve doesn't feel like it is locked, has about an 1/8" slop push pull but it doesn't come off....
Not sure what to do next... Tried both ways, retract to connect and push pull, same result....
SKIP THIS BRAIN DEAD RESPONSE AND SEE MY FOLLOWUP

The sleeve on the new couplers is two way. It pulls out to connect and back to disconnect. If you hold the hose in one hand and play with it you will see it can be pulled out as well as back. If you do it correctly you should get it to lock onto those nipples. Double check the number on the nipples - should be Safeway S41-2P, I don't know why EA would put S40 couplesr on implement hoses - they are designed for rigid panel mounting.

Dan

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I seem to be having a senior moment. o_O

Your old couplers are SH20 series couplers NOT S20 series. I had it right the first time and got my wires crossed when I started looking at the catalogs. The SH series couplers do NOT interchange with Safeway S20 or S40 or any other series agricultural couplers. The 6000 PSI pressure rating on your old couplers finally got me back on the correct catalog page.

So back to my original response - you have incompatible couplers and need to replace something. Replacing the S40 couplers on the EA grapple with matching SH20 couplers is the cheapest way to go.

My apologies for the side trip down Dementia Lane.

Dan

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Don,
Tough to get old, but we all do it. Welcome to the dementia club. We have a lot of members, but I can't remember their names, or mine for that matter. Sam

Reactions: 1 user

milanmark

Equipment
Jul 7, 2021
Milan, MI
I seem to be having a senior moment. o_O

Your old couplers are SH20 series couplers NOT S20 series. I had it right the first time and got my wires crossed when I started looking at the catalogs. The SH series couplers do NOT interchange with Safeway S20 or S40 or any other series agricultural couplers. The 6000 PSI pressure rating on your old couplers finally got me back on the correct catalog page.

So back to my original response - you have incompatible couplers and need to replace something. Replacing the S40 couplers on the EA grapple with matching SH20 couplers is the cheapest way to go.

My apologies for the side trip down Dementia Lane.

Dan
Thanks and I do appreciate your help and patience!
My best course of action is to take the couplers off my old grapple and install on the new one.
One thing I know for sure this has taken up way too much time and need to get a resolution!
Only problem with my solution is I can't get the couplers to budge! What's the trick to getting them off?
If I get the old couplers installed on the new grapple then I just need to buy replacements for the old one and may not even do that if I sell it. Anyways How do I get them off? Thanks again!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks and I do appreciate your help and patience!
My best course of action is to take the couplers off my old grapple and install on the new one.
One thing I know for sure this has taken up way too much time and need to get a resolution!
Only problem with my solution is I can't get the couplers to budge! What's the trick to getting them off?
If I get the old couplers installed on the new grapple then I just need to buy replacements for the old one and may not even do that if I sell it. Anyways How do I get them off? Thanks again!
New dementia test?

If I have the part numbers correct the old couplers have SAE6 end connections and your new ones are 1/4 female NPT. They wont swap without the correct adapters.

Which couplers wont budge - old or new?

Dan

Last edited:

milanmark

Equipment
Jul 7, 2021
Milan, MI
New dementia test?

If I have the part numbers correct the old couplers have SAE6 end connections and your new ones are 1/4 female NPT. They wont swap without the correct adapters.

Which couplers wont budge - old or new?

Dan
Something else to look at..... sheesh!
Anyways I can't get ANY of them to budge!
Might have to do with being 71....

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Something else to look at..... sheesh!
Anyways I can't get ANY of them to budge!
Might have to do with being 71....
Careful - I am a virile 71 myself :D

Two open end wrenches close together and pull opposite directions.

The SAE adapter in the old couplers should come out easily. The male pipe ends screwed into the other couplers may be glued in....

Dan

milanmark

Equipment
Jul 7, 2021
Milan, MI
Careful - I am a virile 71 myself :D

Two open end wrenches close together and pull opposite directions.

The SAE adapter in the old couplers should come out easily. The male pipe ends screwed into the other couplers may be glued in....

Dan
Glue in I think, sealant on all of them.... use heat?

milanmark

Equipment
Jul 7, 2021
Milan, MI
Should not be anything on the SAE threads. Heat and o,-rings dont play well together. Vise and a pipe wrench / cheater if they are real stubborn.

Dan
FINALLY got the connectors off! And yeah they have adaptors they used that are different, I’m not up on threads, I used to know…. Need SAE to npt? Help please!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
FINALLY got the connectors off! And yeah they have adaptors they used that are different, I’m not up on threads, I used to know…. Need SAE to npt? Help please!
If I correctly remember what we discussed you have 1/4" female pipe hose . I would suggest a couple of these - SAE port to female pipe swivel. Easy to connect and no sealant needed on either end.

Dan

milanmark

Equipment
Jul 7, 2021
Milan, MI
If I correctly remember what we discussed you have 1/4" female pipe hose . I would suggest a couple of these - SAE port to female pipe swivel. Easy to connect and no sealant needed on either end.

Dan

E10F028A-730D-4AB9-BE4E-960EC2010885.jpeg

Finally! Got er working! Some loose ends like go back and retighten my connections but I can do that later, snow coming I won’t be using the grapple for that!
Thanks for all the help especially Dan, thank you!

Reactions: 1 user