Need some advice guys...

DanG

Equipment
kx121-3
Mar 31, 2021
TN
I have a 2007 kx 121-3 and it's having a hard time turning from both right and left. When I ramp up the machine it gets better but still does not want to turn. it seems like a hydraulic pressure problem. can anyone tell me how to check hydraulic pressure or any advice on what to check.
any help appreciated
thanks
Dan

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Might I suggest you get the WSM (aka Service manual) it will give you all of the troubleshooting and pressures needed.

I've never gotten a manual for this place so use at your own risk.

Killingitcountry

Equipment
Kubota KX040-4, BX25D, BX2755HD - EXPAND for link to my YouTube Channel :-)
Feb 12, 2021
Ontario
www.youtube.com
I have a 2007 kx 121-3 and it's having a hard time turning from both right and left. When I ramp up the machine it gets better but still does not want to turn. it seems like a hydraulic pressure problem. can anyone tell me how to check hydraulic pressure or any advice on what to check.
any help appreciated
thanks
Dan
I've got a 2021 KX-040 coming in 3 weeks so I'll need to become familiar with the 5 ton machine ... I'm sure you have ... but did you check the hydraulic fluid level in the tank? Are you experiencing any performance issues with any other min-ex movements? When you say "hard time turning from both right and left" do you mean with the tracks or with the turn-table? Sorry, I'm not a pro with the mini-ex at all but I'd love to come along for the ride as you figure this out.

- James

DanG

Equipment
kx121-3
Mar 31, 2021
TN
Thanks, James. The tracks won't turn they will go forward or backward but it will not turn. the rest of the machine is working perfectly fine. all the cylinders the rotation on the machine the push bucket all work except for the turning. It all works but not really strong. that is why I'm thinking it may be a pressure issue.
all fluids are topped off and all filters have been changed. Oil, hydraulics, final drives, and all related filters.

DanG

Equipment
kx121-3
Mar 31, 2021
TN
Might I suggest you get the WSM (aka Service manual) it will give you all of the troubleshooting and pressures needed.

I've never gotten a manual for this place so use at your own risk.
Thank you I will check out the service manual again to see if I missed anything.. not familiar with it but I will check it again.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Does your KX have bi-speed tracks? If so, are you trying to make the turns in "high" gear?

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
You said that the fluids are at the proper levels, but have the fluids been changed, and if so, when changed, were the new fluids of the type that Kubota recommends? The reason that I bring this up, is because I remember reading about people using hydraulic tractor fluid in some Kubota tractors that were designed for Kubota UDT, which is a different composition and viscosity than universal tractor fluid (hydraulic fluid). Universal tractor fluid isn't universal!

DanG

Equipment
kx121-3
Mar 31, 2021
TN
Does your KX have bi-speed tracks? If so, are you trying to make the turns in "high" gear?
That I don't know but I will check without using the high speed. it's on when the thumb is operating.
thank you

DanG

Equipment
kx121-3
Mar 31, 2021
TN
You said that the fluids are at the proper levels, but have the fluids been changed, and if so, when changed, were the new fluids of the type that Kubota recommends? The reason that I bring this up, is because I remember reading about people using hydraulic tractor fluid in some Kubota tractors that were designed for Kubota UDT, which is a different composition and viscosity than universal tractor fluid (hydraulic fluid). Universal tractor fluid isn't universal!
I'm not sure the previous owner told me that he changed all the hydrolic filters inside and the one outside the tank and clean the tank as well. He said a very experience mechanic did it.. Buy now I'm doubtful I'll try to see what type of oil it has..
thanks

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
An expensive mechanic doesn't equate to an experienced mechanic with intimate knowledge about the brand of product that he is working on.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Just curious.

When you say it will not turn, are trying to turn with one track only, or with one track moving one way and the other moving the other way? I mean in a basically stationary position.

Or do you mean when moving? Do you mean it will not change direction much when you slow the track down on the side you want to turn to?

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
We have a KX71-3 at work, if the tracks are in "rabbit" it will not turn. The button is on the blade lever, and a green light on the dash comes on to let you know.

Reactions: 1 user

DanG

Equipment
kx121-3
Mar 31, 2021
TN
Just curious.

When you say it will not turn, are trying to turn with one track only, or with one track moving one way and the other moving the other way? I mean in a basically stationary position.

Or do you mean when moving? Do you mean it will not change direction much when you slow the track down on the side you want to turn to?
the machine will move forward and backwards no problem.. but if you put pressure on one track either left or right it will not turn.. so the entire machine will not turn either left or right. what I do is hit it back and forth so it will turn a little and that is how I get it to turn a little by little.. so I cant for example make a left or right turn at a dead stop... making the turn or operate on only one track it will not go forward or backwards..

DanG

Equipment
kx121-3
Mar 31, 2021
TN
We have a KX71-3 at work, if the tracks are in "rabbit" it will not turn. The button is on the blade lever, and a green light on the dash comes on to let you know.
Thanks let me look for that rabbit.. now there is a button on the machine in the middle of the display that operates the thumb.. the thumb does not operate when that is off... Im not sure if that is what your calling the rabbit.. but I will take a look at in the morning .. thank you I appreciate everyone's help.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Thanks let me look for that rabbit.. now there is a button on the machine in the middle of the display that operates the thumb.. the thumb does not operate when that is off... Im not sure if that is what your calling the rabbit.. but I will take a look at in the morning .. thank you I appreciate everyone's help.
Maybe a picture of the dash and controls will help.

Turtle and rabbit are used on Kubota's other machines for slow and fast usually. If your machine has two speed tracks (I believe most excavators do) there should be a button to change them.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
No. Not that button. Look or feel for a button on the bottom side of the dozer blade control stick. There should be a button that turns on/off the track speed control. When the tracks are in high speed the rabbit on the dash should be lit up telling you that you are in "high gear". You'd need to be in "low gear" to turn sharply.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
the machine will move forward and backwards no problem.. but if you put pressure on one track either left or right it will not turn.. so the entire machine will not turn either left or right. what I do is hit it back and forth so it will turn a little and that is how I get it to turn a little by little.. so I cant for example make a left or right turn at a dead stop... making the turn or operate on only one track it will not go forward or backwards..
I bought an old KX41-2V excavator recently. It will not turn (I believe, trusting my memory) if stopped, and if I try to turn with only one track. It will turn when stationary if I put one track in forward and the other in reverse.

When moving it will turn if I slow the track on the side I want to turn to, and while leaving the other track running faster.

Not sure what would happen when moving if I suddenly stopped one track and kept power to the other.

Mine does not have a rabbit/ turtle option for speed, I do not think. Have to check that myself.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Mine does not have a rabbit/ turtle option for speed, I do not think. Have to check that myself.
You should have Bi Speed, I am thinking on yours it is switched with a pedal on the floor.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
On a KX121-3, the High Speed is selected using a pedal on the floor. See pdf below...
I will have to check it out. I do plan on buying the manuals (workshop, operator's and parts) for this excavator from Kubota, but have not got around to it yet.