Need help with stability issue

JRaz

Equipment
B3000 with Cab - bucket - rear snowblower
Feb 23, 2015
Dresden, ME
I have a B3000 with a cab that I have owned for 3 years but have only been using routinely over the last several months. The tractor came equipped with Ag tires and as my intention was to use chains during the winter, the dealer put on the 1 1/2 inch rear wheel spacers and the rear tires are filled.

I don't know if it's me or the tractor but on what I would consider very slight grades around my house, the tractor seems very "tippy." I have a 64" Blizzard snow blower on the back and a bucket on the front. When working the tractor moving snow banks I try to keep the snow blower low to the ground for the center of gravity issue.

With this "tippy" issue I was thinking of changing over the Ag tires to turf tires as it seems it would put more tire on the ground at any given time. Can anyone tell me if this would make a difference? I've talked to my dealer but don't seem to be getting any helpful feed back from them.

Prior to the Kubota I owned a JD 855 with turf tires for 15 years and never had this "tippy" feel.

As mentioned I use chains during the winter as my driveway slopes down to a state road and didn't want to slide out into the road during icy weather. Take off the chains ? ? ? change over the tires ? ? ? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

I like the tractor but just don't like the pucker factor that comes with it. My wife, who was using the tractor while I was working out of the area, experienced the same "tippy" feeling.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Width of tire will not change much if the total height is the same. A turf tire that sits on the ground at the same centerline height as the AG tire should not be "better" - now if that turf tire holds more ballast than the AG - you might be on to something. If the AG tire sits out at a wider width, like a reversible rim - it would be helpful too.

First question - what are "very slight grades" - have any idea what angle you are talking about?

Did the deere have a cab ? same width tractor? same weight? Hard to compare one machine to another based on tires alone.

Before you bite the bullet on tires, you sure the rears are filled? That was my first thought until I read the post again.

I would get a wider spacers , that cost will be far less than tires, will you need new rims to switch to turfs? I placed on my BX a 1.5 spacer and that changed the game BIG time!

If you dont like the AGs then switch - but I dont see a huge difference if everything is equal throughout the rest of the machine. Most people go with AGs for the grip, I have to admit the grip is better with those than anything else.

Can you get outside tire weights?

As far as going down a hill and the fear of slipping into the road is an issue - have the bucket in a position for slowing you down or stopping you.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
#1 thing I notice by your post is 64" blower is really big for a B, and especially big for a three point setup, I get that a lot of what's making it feel tippy is that's a lot of weight back there.

I now the feeling your getting, but I think it's more of a feeling, then it is that it will happen, It takes quite a bit to roll these guys over.
Width and weight of the rear tires is the best thing to cut down on the tippy feeling.

Give a pic or two of the set up you have right now. ;)

Little Orange

Equipment
Kubota BX25D TLB, hitch frame, FEL forks, 3pt steel ballast and back blade
Dec 8, 2013
Comox Valley, BC Canada
Yup, 3" spacers might do the trick. Just put a pair on the rears and boy oh boy what a difference to the feel and handling.

Spen aver

Equipment
Kubota b3000 cab
Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, pa
Funny I just got a b3000hsdcc. I am having the same issue and I have loaded R4 tires on it and a 60" box blade on rear for counter weight. I run into this issue in sharp turns or any bumps. i have a call into my dealer to see if they can help only 32 hours on tractor.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I curious if wheels are set to wider/widest position and what tire pressure is set at. Rock hard tires will feel real unstable as well as very soft tires.

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
I've got a B3030hsdc which I assume is very similar and have even
tipped mine over ;( and know that pucker factor very well too. Mine
has R4 tires and I had the tires filled and won't use the loader without
the box blade on the rear. I've surmised that the cab and center of
gravity makes it feel worse than it actually is because of it. A lot in my
opinion has to do with the front end width tho others say it has nothing
to do with it. My first tractor was a John Deere B with a tricycle front
end and my second tractor a Belarus 425A 57hp 4wd that was of course
totally different, and number three was a Belarus 825 81hp 4wd with cab
and that felt tippy in comparison to the open station tractor. You're
really sitting much higher up in most cases and that in itself leads the
the feeling of being on stilts.
I think your former John Deere probably set much closer to the ground
and therefor was much more stable when you're comparing the two in
what they felt like. You might be better off finding a tractor that fits your
needs by trying others out before buying one if it's not working for you.
Actually a BX series is much closer to the JD you had before, bigger toys
handle different just like cars and trucks do.
Al

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
I have a L3901 and I feel that tippy feeling with R4 and a canopy. I reduced the air in the tires to see if that helps. not really happy with this tippy feeling on the slightest of rut or indent in the yard some of them.feel like I the whole tractor is going to dump over.

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
I think from all that I've read and the experience I've had actually
tipping mine over MAJOR PUCKER FACTOR that the best answer is
to go with as wide of wheel spacers as you can in order to get rid of
that feeling whether it's real or not. The feeling is very unpleasant
and as I stated I can vouch for how bad it is AND worse it gets if it
ever does tip over.
Loading the rears ( mine are R4's ) was a game changer big time, and
I suspect the feeling will change even more for the better adding the
wheel spacers on the back simply has to help with stability even more.
The JD855 is sized much lower to the ground like the BX's are making
them night and day difference, and adding the cab being so much higher
makes the bad feeling more intense.
Al