Need help deciding.

Swampbuck

May 7, 2018
Rogers, MN
Hi All,
Buying a tractor for the first time is quite a decision. I've heard every piece of advice there is and they all seem to contradict eachother. I generally settled on the B2650 that I'll use for property maintenance on 10 acres and tilling food plots at my hunting property. In the future, I may have snow blower and brush cutter implements.

Am I going to be frustrated with a 25hp tractor? I thought this decision was clear but am now hearing from some knowledgeable people that I should be looking for some more HP and a heavier tractor. I know you've seen dozens of similar posts so I appreciate any advice you have or direct knowledge of your own tractors.

Thanks,
Chad

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
First question would be are you wanting a Cab or ROPS? Depending on which one would give us a better idea of helping give you an opinion. How many acres of food plots are you going to be adding on your hunting property? Will you be clearing paths, hauling logs, and brush cutting a large sum or just a few acres on each property? What size brush cutter will you be wanting? Are you looking at a Fel for the tractor? I currently own and manage 52 acres and will be clearing paths on another 150 acres on my hunting property. For me I chose a MX5800 with FEL as most implements can be used on a 50 HP PTO. Sometimes I think it sure would have been nice to have a cab tractor but for that I would have had to step up to a Grand L. Honestly though I have a lot of Woods and the cab would not have been ideal. I think if it were me and you are planning on snow blowing I personally would be looking into a cab tractor. I'm sure you'll have more opinions coming your way. As mentioned through out this site "Nobody will complain they have too much horsepower."

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I'll add to what others said.....
25 hp is fine - you will run OUT of traction before you run out of HP.

In your neck of the woods ....I would cab that thing!

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
concur with hokie. B2650 with cab would be just fine and my choice in your situation.
if you want bigger, the next option with cab would be a L3560.

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
I started out looking at the even smaller bx model myself. Ended up buying a mx5800 at the end of my looking, reading etc. I was looking for a mower replacement with a little more capability to start. After reading on here somewhere that someone wrote get at least a 20% bigger tractor than u think u need, I saw even more options that I may use it for in the future. Definitely get HST. It makes things easier. I went with the biggest HST they make. Only had mine a week but have accomplished more in that time than I could have in way more time on the tractor I started out lookin at. ROPS was for me being in Ga and we don’t get much snow here or need snow blowers. The FEL will clear all the snow I will ever need to clear. I’ve Bush hogged trails for the kids through a dense thicket, cleared off a lot of my creek, cleaned the creek out, smoothed the driveway, moved a bunch of mulch, & set up a greenhouse for the wife. No ruts in my yard but I don’t ride thru during the rain. Tractor is heavy too with backhoe on it. Get the biggest u can afford and u won’t be sorry. U won’t be loosing money by gettin a bigger one in a few years u shoulda got to start with. Just my opinion and I have been wrong. Already got a deal worked for a hunt club membership swapped for tractor work. Bush hogging & tilling so life is good down here for me

wardsfarmnj

Equipment
2016 L3901 FEL 2004 BX1500 FEL 71" Tiller 37" Tiller 71" Finish Mower Flail Mow
Jul 8, 2015
Mannington Twp. NJ
As you will read on this site err on the side of bigger. I had a passing thought of getting a B series but realized I needed bigger. If not for now then definitely for later. A tractor is a long term investment so if you do it right the first time you will not have to worry about it down the road. In reality I could have went bigger but with the L3901 I felt I was getting big enough but at the same time nimble enough.

I would ask how big of a tiller do you plan on running? What kind of maintenance are you doing on your property?

armydoc78

Nov 28, 2016
Jefferson, SC
Let me add to my previous comment and throw in my experience on choosing a tractor. I already owned some old, high HP iron (‘63 JD 3020 & ‘67 Farmall 806) and was looking for a smaller general purpose, utility tractor. For the money I had, my choices were between the L3901 and L4701. I opted for the 3901 and purchased a few extra attachments. Looking back, I wish I had bought the 4701. 8 HP doesn’t sound like that big of a difference, but the 4701 is wider and has a bit more weight. It definitely would allow me to do more stuff than I do now, without having to break out the big iron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
Personally a B series is just too small for me. Accustomed to Ford 3600 sized old school machinery - I went with the L3901DT If you aren't doing back & forth loading work, I prefer the non HST. Same tractor is a lil bit stouter swinging the bush hog because that HST cost you a tad. I am way south so a cab is not needed. Before you drop a pile of cash... borrow or rent the same machine you think you want.

Mainah

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501HST, BLMX3164 blower, BB1266 box blade, BX42S chipper, Titan forks
Feb 26, 2018
Standish, Maine
I was almost decided on a B2650 until I checked the specs and price on a L2501. I don’t want a cab because I take it into the woods. I do have a 64” rear snowblower and don’t lack for power with 25 hp. No DPF or other emission crap either. Mine runs a 4” chipper very well also with no lack of power.
The L2501 is almost 1k heavier, it’s wider and more stable and will handle a load better as a result. The price is almost the same but you sacrifice some convenience items in exchange. I want a tractor not a pickup so I’m not so concerned able those items as I am about capability.
What implements do you plan on adding? That’s one of the biggest considerations. Unless you’re running a large brush hog you probably don’t need more than 25 hp. Weight and stability are more important for most functions imho.
Good luck with your decision and don’t forget to post pictures after you decide!

DuckDog

Equipment
B2650
Jun 23, 2017
Laotto, IN USA
I have a 2650 on 10 acres for property maintinence, bush hogging, grading, clearing trails and up keep at some hunting properties. I have been super happy and impressed with what it can do. Could I use more tractor sure but does it get everything I need done yes. Just takes a little more time than a bigger tractor.

Only thing I can’t comment on yet is tilling. But I see no issues with this running a 50-58” tiller.

Bush hogging it cuts everything I would try with a bigger tractor before getting my saw out.

It’s very comfortable and easy to use. Doesn’t take up too much space in the garage. And is light on the yard when I need to do things where I don’t want things torn up. In the woods I love it. Can go down all my 4 Wheeler trails with ease. IMO it’s a great all around tractor.

It does run out of traction before power. I have had no issues with stability. Just be smart and safe when working on inclines. I live on a pretty hilly property for Indiana and have no issues.

I run 50” Grapple, 54” bucket, 54” box blade, 60” bush hog, loaded tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Swampbuck

May 7, 2018
Rogers, MN
Wow, this is great help, guys! It's generally like everything int he tractor world seems. yes, you can do it with this one but you'll like doing it with the big one a bit better.

I only have small plots to maintain, about 3 acres but that's likely to grow in the future as I look to bigger property.

Stability is important, my property is in bluff country of SE MN so there's not a lot of flat ground.

I am open to implement size and don't want to add a cab. For now, I won't be snowblowing but it is a future possibility that I don't want to be limited by.

Again, thanks so much for all the opinions. At some point, I'll just need to go for it as I don't think this decision will ever be exactly clear for me.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
One main reason I went with the B2650HSDC was for the cab. If I was not going to get a cab I think I would have opted for the L series because at this time I don't foresee need for a mid pto. Lower hp without DPF is a consideration, so far the 26hp has been sufficient. For me and what I want to do the B2650 is doing a great job. Don't think you can go wrong with whatever you choose, go sit on a few and get a feel for which one needs a new home at your place.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Wow, this is great help, guys! It's generally like everything int he tractor world seems. yes, you can do it with this one but you'll like doing it with the big one a bit better.

I only have small plots to maintain, about 3 acres but that's likely to grow in the future as I look to bigger property.

Stability is important, my property is in bluff country of SE MN so there's not a lot of flat ground.

I am open to implement size and don't want to add a cab. For now, I won't be snowblowing but it is a future possibility that I don't want to be limited by.

Again, thanks so much for all the opinions. At some point, I'll just need to go for it as I don't think this decision will ever be exactly clear for me.

If your looking for stability a bigger tractor like the L or MX Series would give you a wider stance. R4 tires are significantly wider than the ag tires as well. You mentioned brush hogging, think of the width you'd like to use and pick a tractor that has the power to drive it. If your dealership has knowledgeable staff they can dial in the right tractor for the job. I was in your shoes not long ago wondering what would I need this for in 5 years and I planned accordingly by buying bigger giving me room for growth. 4-5 k is easier to spend now than trading off and losing 10 down the road. Good luck in your decision. Drive them around in the lot and get a feel for which one fits you the best!! :D

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
Power or size may equal time in the future or now. Yup playing on the tractor is plenty fun but I wanted to see the finished products of my projects sooner than later. WhTs your time worth to you while not playing in the dirt? A little tractor will do bout anything a big tractor will, just not as fast. Point of diminishing returns is there, u just gotta be the judge of that on how big is too big. I didn’t need bells & whistles of the grand L but wanted size & power & hst, thus my choice for mine. It’s stripped down compared to some but a pretty nice machine for my needs and wants and big enough to do most projects I will have in the next several years..... if it could only install metal roofing on my home I’d have it made

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Some very good advice here. The most important to me is: Don't buy something you'll trade in in a couple of years.

A buddy went up with me to look at a used Kubota L3800 HST that a previous owner had put 138 hours on. This guy was putting in vineyards and wanted a smaller tractor to get between the rows. My friend had a really nice small JD with the Yanmar at about 25hp and the thing is so quiet and maneuverable, its a great tractor, but its small. The L3800 has 38 hp and a stouter tranny (HST) that is normally noisy because the gears are flat cut for strength. When I drove it, I was shocked at how loud the motor and drive train were. So was he. He thought something was wrong with it! He tried to talk me out of it. Didn't work. Today, I wear a headset and don't mind the noise one bit.

I have a 4.6 acre horse property (no horses) and I have used the heck out of my machine doing everything from hauling shattered Saltillo tile to the dumpster to hauling flagstone off pallets to hauling steel beams for a shade structure -AND erecting the beams to be welded. I have spread 180 tons of decomposing granite on my driveway and just finished moving 8 leftover pallets of stone back to my barn.

Between landscaping and annual tree trimming, the 40 hp class HST machine has been ideal for me while being easy to fit in my barn. And, my wife loved driving it thanks to the HST. A few times I wished I had a larger machine but this one does 98% of everything I have asked of it. The smaller machines are attractive but, I wouldn't trade mine for any of them. One important thing is the reach offered by the larger Front End Loader (FEL). I wouldn't have been able to dump over the top of a 40 yard dumpster with a smaller machine like my friend's Deere. For me, bigger proved critical.

If you are serious about doing all the tasks you named, go larger. The one thing everyone on this board will agree with is this: You will discover uses for that machine you can't imagine today.

Have fun!

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Unlike others here, I'm not as convinced that bigger is always better. It depends what you're doing.

One thing to watch out for is that if you're preserving the option of a snow blower in future - is that a front snowblower or rear? You need a mid-PTO for a front snowblower, the larger machines tend not to have one.

Swampbuck

May 7, 2018
Rogers, MN
Once again, all great points, thank you! I am very close and unless a wrench gets thrown in here, it will be the 3301 or 3901. Leaning towards the 3901 now. I have decided to forego the mid PTO. Definitely don't need to mow and blowing snow is unlikely. Even if I did need to get a blower, it would be infrequent use (not for my home) so i'd be fine with a rear attach or just using the bucket.

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
Once again, all great points, thank you! I am very close and unless a wrench gets thrown in here, it will be the 3301 or 3901. Leaning towards the 3901 now. I have decided to forego the mid PTO. Definitely don't need to mow and blowing snow is unlikely. Even if I did need to get a blower, it would be infrequent use (not for my home) so i'd be fine with a rear attach or just using the bucket.
From reading your first post i said why isn't he looking at an L? I am maintaining 6 acres with an L3901. If you want a cab etc then you might need to look into a grand L etc. How tight are your spaces, will you need to fit into tight areas? Not that the B won't do what you need, now, but think future! :cool:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
The L3901 is virtually identical in dimensions to my L3800 and its really easy to get in and around in tight spaces. Great sized machine that will do everything you want. Write that check and don't lose sleep -except for waiting for it to arrive!

As I said, I used mine doing a yard remodel at my home. We maneuvered to moved 60+ large boulders, and did other work in incredibly tight spaces. Sounds goofy but, its small enough to get most places, but big enough to do the job when you get there.

Here is mine doing the job in pretty tight spaces...

Attachments