Need Flail Mower Recommendations

Hobbit Habits

Equipment
LX2610 with Cab, LX2963-Blower, Land Plane, Grapple, Forks, Flail-Mower
Mar 2, 2021
Thanks in advance for any experienced input on what brand of 60" Flail Mower would match well with my LX2610. I maintain a 9 acre home property and 40 acres full of hilly, wooded trails in Northern WI. Other posts have sold me on a flail mower over a brush hog, but now what to buy? Ideally I would stay in the $2K to $2.5K range given the non-commercial, occasional use. There seems to be countless suppliers out there which is adding to the frustration. I had all but settled on the WoodMaxx FM-62 until I read several reviews on the company's complete lack of service support which brought me back to the search engine once again. The next-in-line candidate was one of the Heavy Duty flail mowers from Bestco. Has anyone had good/bad/Ugly experiences with either of these brands/models/companies OR any recommendations on a flail mower you have used that you would definitely buy again? Thanks again for your insight!

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Thanks in advance for any experienced input on what brand of 60" Flail Mower would match well with my LX2610. I maintain a 9 acre home property and 40 acres full of hilly, wooded trails in Northern WI. Other posts have sold me on a flail mower over a brush hog, but now what to buy? Ideally I would stay in the $2K to $2.5K range given the non-commercial, occasional use. There seems to be countless suppliers out there which is adding to the frustration. I had all but settled on the WoodMaxx FM-62 until I read several reviews on the company's complete lack of service support which brought me back to the search engine once again. The next-in-line candidate was one of the Heavy Duty flail mowers from Bestco. Has anyone had good/bad/Ugly experiences with either of these brands/models/companies OR any recommendations on a flail mower you have used that you would definitely buy again? Thanks again for your insight!
hobbit habits,
I would like to comment that I’ve had great experience with WoodMaxx both in terms of buying their equipment and going back for service and support. It is one of the few attachment companies that answer their phone with a helpful human on the other end. I own a MX9900 Chipper, a SB-72 snow blower and today they delivered a SB-60 snow blower. Their equipment is well made and engineered, my chipper is US built. The equipment is typically heavier than their competitors either due to steel thickness or use of the next size up gearbox. My latest snow blower was deliver in 2.5 days from my order being placed. WoodMaxx make all of their manuals available online and have all consumable spare parts available online.

I run a significant sized business and strive for customer service, it is not easy to achieve great customer service no matter how hard you try.

I believe WoodMaxx does a pretty good job in their business, they also have competitive pricing, offer veteran pricing and in the past they have given a little further discount for being a repeat buyer.

As consumers I feel that we are often too quick to complain or have unrealistic expectations. Negative reviews are often loud and screaming, lots of customers that have great experiences just don’t give feedback.

if you liked the look of the WoodMaxx flail mower I suggest you pick up the phone and ask a real person any questions you may have including any concerns you have about other customers comments. If you like the answers, buy their product, if you like their product, make sure you give positive feedback and reviews.

Bad businesses can not survive in the longer term, good businesses that provide good products deserve recommendations and to thrive.

Good luck making a selection for your new flail mower.

Reactions: 1 users

Hobbit Habits

Equipment
Mar 2, 2021
hobbit habits,
I would like to comment that I’ve had great experience with WoodMaxx both in terms of buying their equipment and going back for service and support. It is one of the few attachment companies that answer their phone with a helpful human on the other end. I own a MX9900 Chipper, a SB-72 snow blower and today they delivered a SB-60 snow blower. Their equipment is well made and engineered, my chipper is US built. The equipment is typically heavier than their competitors either due to steel thickness or use of the next size up gearbox. My latest snow blower was deliver in 2.5 days from my order being placed. WoodMaxx make all of their manuals available online and have all consumable spare parts available online.

I run a significant sized business and strive for customer service, it is not easy to achieve great customer service no matter how hard you try.

I believe WoodMaxx does a pretty good job in their business, they also have competitive pricing, offer veteran pricing and in the past they have given a little further discount for being a repeat buyer.

As consumers I feel that we are often too quick to complain or have unrealistic expectations. Negative reviews are often loud and screaming, lots of customers that have great experiences just don’t give feedback.

if you liked the look of the WoodMaxx flail mower I suggest you pick up the phone and ask a real person any questions you may have including any concerns you have about other customers comments. If you like the answers, buy their product, if you like their product, make sure you give positive feedback and reviews.

Bad businesses can not survive in the longer term, good businesses that provide good products deserve recommendations and to thrive.

I REALLY appreciate that comment UpNorthMI! I agree when a customer has a good experience they usually only tell their friends when asked.... if they have a bad experience they tell everyone! I felt I did a respectable amount of research before selecting the FM-62 flail mower and the WM-8M chipper. I forgot they were in NY when working in my shop today so didn't remember to call them before they closed. I will make it a point to do so tomorrow and have my talking points laid out including a direct conversation on the questionable reviews. I like the way their products are engineered and the military history of the owner. Both weighed in my decision. Your reply does help and I appreciate you for taking the time to write it!

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I REALLY appreciate that comment UpNorthMI! I agree when a customer has a good experience they usually only tell their friends when asked.... if they have a bad experience they tell everyone! I felt I did a respectable amount of research before selecting the FM-62 flail mower and the WM-8M chipper. I forgot they were in NY when working in my shop today so didn't remember to call them before they closed. I will make it a point to do so tomorrow and have my talking points laid out including a direct conversation on the questionable reviews. I like the way their products are engineered and the military history of the owner. Both weighed in my decision. Your reply does help and I appreciate you for taking the time to write it!
Hobbit Habits,
If you are looking at their WM-8 chipper please buy the WM-8H model with the hydraulic auto feed, they have a twin infeed roller system that is available at little extra cost, it is such an important feature. I spend days using my chipper and can only comment that you really need this feature, it makes the use 5 times more productive. Sorry if you feel my passion on this point. Nearly all competitors in the market make single hydraulic infeed roller in feeds, the difference is huge.

Im pleased that you are going to pick up the phone and talk to the manufacturer and form your own decision. Please share your final selection decision for your attachments.

WoodMaxx also make a FM-62H model with an adjustable offset hydraulic cylinder fitted, many users think this is an important feature, it is a small extra cost.

Reactions: 1 user

Hobbit Habits

Equipment
Mar 2, 2021
Hobbit Habits,
If you are looking at their WM-8 chipper please buy the WM-8H model with the hydraulic auto feed, they have a twin infeed roller system that is available at little extra cost, it is such an important feature. I spend days using my chipper and can only comment that you really need this feature, it makes the use 5 times more productive. Sorry if you feel my passion on this point. Nearly all competitors in the market make single hydraulic infeed roller in feeds, the difference is huge.

Im pleased that you are going to pick up the phone and talk to the manufacturer and form your own decision. Please share your final selection decision for your attachments.

WoodMaxx also make a FM-62H model with an adjustable offset hydraulic cylinder fitted, many users think this is an important feature, it is a small extra cost.
GR8 Advice! I actually was on-again/off-again with the WM-8H and it is on my list of talking points for them. As for the FM-62H, I don't have rear hydraulics on my LX2610 (...yet). Since I mow mostly open field and wooded trails I was thinking I could get by without the FM-62H since it would be an extra $1000 to enable the feature (considering I need rear remotes added as well). Thanks again.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
GR8 Advice! I actually was on-again/off-again with the WM-8H and it is on my list of talking points for them. As for the FM-62H, I don't have rear hydraulics on my LX2610 (...yet). Since I mow mostly open field and wooded trails I was thinking I could get by without the FM-62H since it would be an extra $1000 to enable the feature (considering I need rear remotes added as well). Thanks again.
I agree that rear remotes are a cost and that if you use the flail in open areas you don’t need the hydraulic offset. Good luck making your selections.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have a Caroni flail mower for my L3560. It is just great.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I have had the BETSTCO medium duty flail mower for about 2 years now. Mine is the 53" EFG135 with hammers. No complaints at all. However, It only sees use 2x per year but it does a fine job for the roughly $1100 I paid for it shipped to my door. It can be manually offset by about 6-8 inches.

Maybe check these out as well. I've always heard good things about the Del Morino mowers.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
My only comment on Woodmaxx service is they were helpful on the phone when I ordered advising me to get Y cutters opposed to hammers for my application and I received my FM-62 in 3 days. I haven't needed anything for it so I can't comment what all they keep in inventory. It certainly seems to be well built and it is heavy. It uses triple belts and they're self tensioned, some units I looked at only used two belts and the tension needed to be set manually. It came very well protected in an angle steel frame box to protect it in shipping, that took me an hour or so just to completely unbolt everything. Mine fit right up to my L2501 without needing to cut the driveshaft. I don't have rear remotes so I opted for the standard version which I have offset to extend just a bit past the right tire. I don't see a need to hydraulically shift it for my applications. A couple images of how I use mine.

Hobbit Habits

Equipment
Mar 2, 2021
My only comment on Woodmaxx service is they were helpful on the phone when I ordered advising me to get Y cutters opposed to hammers for my application and I received my FM-62 in 3 days. I haven't needed anything for it so I can't comment what all they keep in inventory. It certainly seems to be well built and it is heavy. It uses triple belts and they're self tensioned, some units I looked at only used two belts and the tension needed to be set manually. It came very well protected in an angle steel frame box to protect it in shipping, that took me an hour or so just to completely unbolt everything. Mine fit right up to my L2501 without needing to cut the driveshaft. I don't have rear remotes so I opted for the standard version which I have offset to extend just a bit past the right tire. I don't see a need to hydraulically shift it for my applications. A couple images of how I use mine.

Thank you for the detail. I spoke with WoodMaxx today and had a good discussion about the importance of available service support (which of course wouldn't be complete without commentary on the human psyche and natural tendency to express frustration far more frequently than satisfaction on social media ;-)). Seriously I respect what the rep had to say about usage models and product capability, as well as advice on what he would do. I think the FM-62 is a pretty good machine overall. Although Engineered in the US but built in China, at the moment it's still a lead horse in my race. On the other hand, the Chipper (WM-8H -vs- the MX-8800) is a very close race when considering cost and capability. With the 8H engineered in the US and built in China it *could* suffer from some of the same parts availability issues as anything else that's not normal wear and tear and made over there. The MX-8800 solves a lot of that being engineered and manufactured here using as much US content as possible. Couple that with the Hydrostatic roller drives (versus hydraulic), more robust and feature-rich design for use and maintenance and a bit lighter on the 3pt and it is probably worth the additional $720 to land it in my yard. At any rate I'm liking this forum and my fellow Kubota owners. Thanks to all that have weighed in... it is appreciated.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Curious why do you guys use chippers? I just pile limbs and other material in the woods or somewhere out of the way to become habitat before it eventually decomposes.
Never mind I suppose it's to create wood chips for landscaping.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Here's a thread on some flail mowers, primarily the Betsco flails: B2601 Brush Attachment | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

I wound up buying the Betsco model and am quite happy with it. I got hammers instead of the Y cutter blades because of clearing brush next to and in the woods. I was impressed with how clean the cut was in grass with the same hammer blades. That could change as they dull more, but still, pretty impressive. After having this flail mower since last summer, I don't know why I put up with my big single blade brush cutter for so long. It's nice that there's people on board that are anxious to guide you and help you spend your money on needed implements!! :ROFLMAO:

Regarding service: My flail arrived quickly but was missing the "parking stand". I called Betsco and a human answered and directed my call to a salesperson. The sales person apologized and said he'd have the parts shipped out the same day. They were and I got them a few days later. No complaints about their service so far. The heavy duty hammers will grind up some pretty big brush and small limbs. You definitely want/should be wearing hearing protection while using it. Whichever model you wind up with it's going to earn its keep behind your tractor!

Hobbit Habits

Equipment
Mar 2, 2021
Curious why do you guys use chippers? I just pile limbs and other material in the woods or somewhere out of the way to become habitat before it eventually decomposes.
Yes mostly for the chips. Total of 50 acres across 2 properties, both of which have ponds, trails, and resting benches... I gave plenty of fallen debris to use for ground cover in many spots and plenty more left over for habitat.

Hobbit Habits

Equipment
Mar 2, 2021
Here's a thread on some flail mowers, primarily the Betsco flails: B2601 Brush Attachment | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

I wound up buying the Betsco model and am quite happy with it. I got hammers instead of the Y cutter blades because of clearing brush next to and in the woods. I was impressed with how clean the cut was in grass with the same hammer blades. That could change as they dull more, but still, pretty impressive. After having this flail mower since last summer, I don't know why I put up with my big single blade brush cutter for so long. It's nice that there's people on board that are anxious to guide you and help you spend your money on needed implements!! :ROFLMAO:

Regarding service: My flail arrived quickly but was missing the "parking stand". I called Betsco and a human answered and directed my call to a salesperson. The sales person apologized and said he'd have the parts shipped out the same day. They were and I got them a few days later. No complaints about their service so far. The heavy duty hammers will grind up some pretty big brush and small limbs. You definitely want/should be wearing hearing protection while using it. Whichever model you wind up with it's going to earn its keep behind your tractor!
Thanks bird dogger!

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
1) Don’t have a very good place to burn.
2) Open burning requires a permit in my county. Didn’t used to but has for several years. Getting a permit and dealing with the occasional permit compliance follow up is a bit of a PITA. Not bad if you’re clearing land once in a while but a PITA for routine maintenance.
3) Did the brush pile thing for many years. Worked to some degree. Over time they grew to four piles ranging from school bus size to small house size and still growing. That was just the stuff up near the houses. Bought a chipper and cleared them out. Now have two piles that are pretty well hidden and chip them when they get built up.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
1) Don’t have a very good place to burn.
2) Open burning requires a permit in my county. Didn’t used to but has for several years. Getting a permit and dealing with the occasional permit compliance follow up is a bit of a PITA. Not bad if you’re clearing land once in a while but a PITA for routine maintenance.....
I see. Yeah I wouldn't burn debris, putting the smoke and carbon in the air anyway.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I see. Yeah I wouldn't burn debris, putting the smoke and carbon in the air anyway.
Agree with that. I’m not exactly a tree hugger, but I do have neighbors in smoke range and contrary to opinion of some I’m not a complete a**hole.

• Haha

TJCallchi

Equipment
Gator
Jan 2, 2021
Wisconsin
hobbit habits,

I'm trying to decide on a flail mower. Your comments about WoodMaxx and the biases inherent in online reviews are worth taking into account. Thanks

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I'm trying to decide on a flail mower. Your comments about WoodMaxx and the biases inherent in online reviews are worth taking into account. Thanks
I appreciate your comments, I try to give realistic non emotional feedback on the equipment that I buy and use. WoodMaxx is still what I consider to be a premium attachment supplier, I will be using my chipper this weekend on clearing tasks and it will not be long before I’ll be prepping my snow blowers.
So many attachment suppliers have found it difficult to meet demand during COVID due to supply line issues, if you are in the market for a flail mower, I suggest you move forward as you may have to wait for delivery. Good luck making a selection, welcome to the forum.