Need advice asap!

Travis

Equipment
B6100D, finish mower, flail mower, back blade, post hole drill
Jan 31, 2015
Everett, PA
Good evening all, I am sure there is an answer for my question somewhere on this forum, but I am rather short on time....

I have until tomorrow afternoon to make a decision on whether or not I purchase a tractor implement from a neighboring farmer. The fella just turned 88 years old and decided to hang up the farming business. He gave me a deal on a 2011 Land Pride RCR 1548 brush hog. I currently own a 1982 Kubota B6100 and with that said... Is there any chance my 6100 would be able to run this? Thanks for your time!!

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
If he is a neighboring farmer perhaps you could drive your machine to his place and try it before you buy it ?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Good evening all, I am sure there is an answer for my question somewhere on this forum, but I am rather short on time....

I have until tomorrow afternoon to make a decision on whether or not I purchase a tractor implement from a neighboring farmer. The fella just turned 88 years old and decided to hang up the farming business. He gave me a deal on a 2011 Land Pride RCR 1548 brush hog. I currently own a 1982 Kubota B6100 and with that said... Is there any chance my 6100 would be able to run this? Thanks for your time!!
Here is the manual for the hog:

http://www.landpride.com/ari/attach/lp/public/manuals/312-556m.pdf

I am sure it will run it !

this is the only thing I see that could be a problem :

"Recommended Tractor HP 20-50 HP"

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I would be worried that it is almost too heavy for the tractor. Read your owners manual about how much the 3PH can handle.

If you have weights on the front that would really help or if you have 4WD and weights that would be best to get the best front wheel traction for steering.

I have a L185 with a 4 foot mower and it is all it will handle and keep the front wheels able to steer. I had to add ~275 pounds on the front to make it steer well.

I think your tractor would power it OK as long as you are not mowing really tall/thick grass or large saplings larger than 1 inch diameter.

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
If the price is REALLY good, could you get it and then trade down to one more suited to your tractor?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Your B6100 will not even come close to running it effectively.
It's too big, too heavy, and require way more HP than your tractor has to offer.
If the price is really good you could buy it and resell it for a smaller less taxing unit. ;)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
From Russel's post - good points

I would be worried that it is almost too heavy for the tractor. Read your owners manual about how much the 3PH can handle.

According to the manual - the cutter weighs in at #425 - heavy but not too heavy for the 6100 ( according to the info on it - max 3 pt is #400 - which I find to be off a couple of 100#)

If you have weights on the front that would really help or if you have 4WD and weights that would be best to get the best front wheel traction for steering.

I would agree with this 100%

I have a L185 with a 4 foot mower and it is all it will handle and keep the front wheels able to steer. I had to add ~275 pounds on the front to make it steer well.

If yours is having problems then maybe it IS TOO heavy .....your machine is 50% heavier than the B6100!

I think your tractor would power it OK as long as you are not mowing really tall/thick grass or large saplings larger than 1 inch diameter.[/QUOTE]

This is also what I was thinking - at a 12 HP at the PTO - is might be a little too light on second thought ! :(

Get it - sell it and get something a little less heavy duty.:)

Travis

Equipment
B6100D, finish mower, flail mower, back blade, post hole drill
Jan 31, 2015
Everett, PA
These are all GREAT responses! Thanks for the time you guys spent on this.

I'm still "under the bridge" on this... I can pick this up for $400... I DON'T want to buy something (too large) then end up having issues with my tractor. I have a FEL and 4X4 which would compensate for some of the weight and for the help with steering... BUT I don't want to damage the tractor...

If I decide NOT to purchase this hog, what would be best suitable for what I have??

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
Another way to look at it ......
If it's too big for the B6100 that will give you an excuse to buy a new tractor! :D

Ben S

Equipment
B2620 FEL MMM mcconell swingtrim
Jan 17, 2015
Holland
These are all GREAT responses! Thanks for the time you guys spent on this.

I'm still "under the bridge" on this... I can pick this up for $400... I DON'T want to buy something (too large) then end up having issues with my tractor. I have a FEL and 4X4 which would compensate for some of the weight and for the help with steering... BUT I don't want to damage the tractor...

If I decide NOT to purchase this hog, what would be best suitable for what I have??
$400.- for a 2011 machine? I would buy it and see how you get along with it.:)