Need a small multi purpose tractor

Ackorange

Equipment
M5400 4x4 with loader & hoe, box blade, old MF1010
May 25, 2023
Nantucket
Need a lawn tractor with a hoe, I use a M5400 now. Either a BX or an L But need good advise.
I use a M5400 now. Which is great! But tires are foam filled and need a smaller unit.
Either a BX or an L, But need good advise, I worry the BX models are to small?

Last edited by a moderator:

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
You could go in the middle and get a B(now it is a LX) series. Will need to know what you are going to do with it as a BX will dig a basement, but will take a while.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I suggest a B or LX as well. The L is too big for finish mowing. The Grand Ls can be had with a center PTO. I know the Bs come with one. I don’t know about the LXs, but I suspect they do. I’ve read that a BH on a BX is really just a toy. I think my B would be really “heavy” with a BH hanging off the rear and using it to mow w/o removing the BH.

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
I have a B and use it as a multi purpose tractor which has its pros and cons.
Pros: maneuverability, mid pto, does a lot of work just need to know its limitations
Cons: swivel seat for BH use, BH not rotating a full 180 degrees, can be a lil light when digging, difficult to mow everything close with the MMM, need to drop the BH to mow compacts my ground too much

LX model takes away a lot of the cons away at only slightly more weight. I know an L would compact the hell outta my yard if i tried to mow with it (just too heavy).

Again need to know what you are looking to do for advise.

What are you mowing and looking to did, type of soil, etc... You have the M now for loader work so theres your lift capacity right there. Dont get me wrong the B will dig its just difficult and takes some ingenuity in my area when you have to deal with massive rocks the tractor can't lift every time you break ground.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
This is a comparison I did a while back: https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/bx-vs-b01-vs-b50.36719/

The BX is small - it's very much sized a bit bigger than a ride on mower. It's deliberately got small rear tires, but that means the 3pt hitch is quite compromised, you'll notice it lifts a lot less than a B.

A B is really only slightly larger than the BX in terms of length/width, and only a little more money. But it's quite a bit more tractor.

The large B (B2650 in that sheet) is now called the LX. These are also good tractors. You can get a cab and a mid mount mower.

The L is about the same price as the LX. It's bigger/heavier, but has fewer features (no cab available, no mid mount mower).

It really depends what you're trying to do. I personally have a B2601 and I think that size, or an LX2610 are very good for most uses. If you don't need a cab or a mid-mount mower then an L2502 is also an excellent machine.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: I’ve read that a BH on a BX is really just a toy.

Has to be written by someone who doesn't own one !!

My BX23S dug 500' of drainage ditches the first week I bought it , 5 years/1024 hours ago. It's excavated the equal of 4 basements worth of miserable 'terminal moraine' 2 years ago and just 3 days ago dug a 200' long 'dry creek bed' along with hauling 5200# worth of fancy,heavy cut stone for the landscaping around the creek.
Small AND mighty. Nimble to get into places a bigger TLB can't go without serious ground damage.
OK, it's not fast like a big unit or scoop a yard every bite but it wasn't designed for that. It's done everything I've needed it to do as well as all the side jobs for neighbours. Since I sold my property I have zero use for the beastie, can sell for 50% MORE than I bought it but helping neighbours is a fun way to spend the days.
BTW the BH has never been off the tractor in 5 years.THAT is how much I USE the backhoe.
If, IF, I had a big, time sensitive project, I'd go borrow the CASE680 down the road or the ?X80 excavator until then I'm happy with the BX23S.

Reactions: 3 users

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
In order to avoid derision, both here and from passers-by, forego any tasks for the BX line apart from cutting grass and posing at coffee shops.

Teh BX23S digs and lifts with aplomb and zeal... I know because I has one. It's just not socially acceptable.

@Ackorange

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
re: I’ve read that a BH on a BX is really just a toy.

Has to be written by someone who doesn't own one !!

My BX23S dug 500' of drainage ditches the first week I bought it , 5 years/1024 hours ago. It's excavated the equal of 4 basements worth of miserable 'terminal moraine' 2 years ago and just 3 days ago dug a 200' long 'dry creek bed' along with hauling 5200# worth of fancy,heavy cut stone for the landscaping around the creek.
Small AND mighty. Nimble to get into places a bigger TLB can't go without serious ground damage.
OK, it's not fast like a big unit or scoop a yard every bite but it wasn't designed for that. It's done everything I've needed it to do as well as all the side jobs for neighbours. Since I sold my property I have zero use for the beastie, can sell for 50% MORE than I bought it but helping neighbours is a fun way to spend the days.
BTW the BH has never been off the tractor in 5 years.THAT is how much I USE the backhoe.
If, IF, I had a big, time sensitive project, I'd go borrow the CASE680 down the road or the ?X80 excavator until then I'm happy with the BX23S.
Not everyone has ready access to "the CASE680 down the road or the ?x80 excavator".

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
If money is no object, check out a B26. No cab, no mid-PTO I think. You may have to visit a construction dealer.

Oh, and the loader isn't removable, I think.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If money is no object, check out a B26. No cab, no mid-PTO I think. You may have to visit a construction dealer.
Machinery Trader, Machinery Pete, and Tractor House have a total of 130 used B26 tractors listed for sale.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have had my BX25D called a nice toy..........

Then I picked up 600 pounds of logs and hauled them away, after that I dug up a stump (yeah - took a bit)

Every time I use my BX - I am amazed what it can do - it is a hellva lot more than a riding mower.
Matter of fact - this is what I think of those "mowers!"

2013-08-10 13.06.46.jpg

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I love my BX and those that put them down are insecure or something.

That said, I bought it with a couple very specific tasks/needs in mind, one of which was fitting into my VERY small garage. I've since found that it could do much more than the snooty would have you believe.

If I had the $$ and space, I'd likely own a B or an LX, so I too, could look down my nose at all the happy BX owners. (that last part of my sentence (highlighted) was a joke.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Anyone with a good CC can rent dang near anything from Sunbelt Rentals including huge friggin excavators, NO knowledge of HOW to operate the machines either !!! neighbour did just that, then hired a 'kid' to run it.
The crazy thing is the BX23S is now about $37K 'out the door' compared to 5 years ago when $24K got mine delivered.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
If I had the $$ and space, I'd likely own a B or an LX, so I too, could look down my nose at all the happy BX owners. (that last part of my sentence (highlighted) was a joke.
I had a BX, and upgraded to a B. The BX was an excellent machine, and handily beat my previous options (largely a shovel and a wheel barrow). The B is a big step up, and fits in almost exactly the same space as the BX. They're not much longer or wider, they're taller. My take is that the BX is a deliberately low machine - easy to explain to the significant other (it's not much bigger than a ride on), and easy for those less comfortable with tractors to drive. But the small rear wheels compromise the 3ph geometry and therefore the lift capacity.

Don't get me wrong, I did a lot with my BX, and it's a very good machine. It's just that the B lifts 50% more on the 3ph for about 5% more money, and parks in the same spot in my shed as the BX did. It has position control and a 3 speed gearbox, and quite a bit more ground clearance.

I don't look down my nose at BX owners. But I do recommend that those who are buying a BX take a close look at the B, because it is quite a bit more capable, and it's easier to buy once.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Need a lawn tractor with a hoe, I use a M5400 now. Either a BX or an L But need good advise.
I use a M5400 now. Which is great! But tires are foam filled and need a smaller unit.
Either a BX or an L, But need good advise, I worry the BX models are to small?
Be advised that the BX series does not have position control.

This is an absolute show stopper for me.

Maybe an LX?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Again we dont know what you have in mind for the little beasty, I will say this, the BX is no toy, is it small yes, does it have limitations, yes, will it supprise you YES ! Anybody that has a BX will tell you it is a beast for the size. You have to remember it is a SMALL tractor, and I use mine to pull wood, spread dirt and gravel mow and do shit I dont think it was ever meant to do, and it keeps comming back for more. And any one that thinks is it just a lawn mower hasnt got a clue!

• Love