Neal From Messicks owns a B3350

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
As he pointed out in the video, because of the issues the 3350 has had, he was able to get it at a good price and he to was wondering if he will have issues or not.

I was surprised to learn that was the first tractor he owned. Although when you have access to a whole dealership lot with their rental equipment, I guess that would make a big difference.

vanquisher

Equipment
B3350
Sep 21, 2018
Lagrangeville NY
As he pointed out in the video, because of the issues the 3350 has had, he was able to get it at a good price and he to was wondering if he will have issues or not.

I was surprised to learn that was the first tractor he owned. Although when you have access to a whole dealership lot with their rental equipment, I guess that would make a big difference.
Agreed.... He also said as a whole he believes most of the problems are fixed he’s also told that to me on the phone. I think it’s good thing for all the 3350 owners that he can document any issues he has on his channel.

angelo c

Equipment
Couple a wheel barrows, shovels and beer
Dec 23, 2019
Neshanic NJ
When kubota gives you "lemons" you gotta paint it Orange and make "Orange-ade".... ?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
What baffles me is why Kubota would offer for sale to the general public, an unproven engine design. I don't get that and never will. Someone in Kubota engineering should lose their joband in good faith, Kubota should buy back every one, Neil's included.

The dealer I buy from never sold a single unit and didn't order any in either.

vanquisher

Equipment
B3350
Sep 21, 2018
Lagrangeville NY
What baffles me is why Kubota would offer for sale to the general public, an unproven engine design. I don't get that and never will. Someone in Kubota engineering should lose their joband in good faith, Kubota should buy back every one, Neil's included.

I don’t understand why Kubota would continue to sell it especially if it gave them so much grief

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan

Well in fairness, the engine itself is not a new design, and is not the source of most of the problems. The components of the dpf filter and the regeneration system, including the reformer, have also been used in other systems. The problem (as I see it) is that putting them together resulted in a complex system fraught with the possibility for errors. Couple that with all the software stuff to make sure folks didn't skip the regens has resulted in a failure prone system. Kind of agree there are probably some engineers on unemployment though.

There are successful users out there, and part of that is climate, part luck, and part user skill. If anyone could use it successfully it would be Neil, he should understand how it works.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Lets see, he's a Kubota dealer. I bet that 3350 will be mint and problem free. LOL

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
In manufacturing process, one develops a product, then they calculate how many of them have to be sold to break even and/or turn a profit. That might take 2 months or it might take 15 years. Thus, when they've ascertained that the B3350 might take 5 years and, for example, 28,224 units sold, to break even, they're going to leave it on the market for a while. Also if there is nothing else that replaces it, so what choice do you have? JD? Mahindra?

Why does it have problems when other equipment uses the same engine? Application. The other applications are mowing equipment. Tractors tend to sit around and idle a lot because that's what many owners were taught and grew up with, and they get used in low-load situations at lower engine RPM. A mowing machine is just the opposite. It runs at maximum RPM and full load continually and typically only during grass growing (and cutting) season. Completely opposite application and usage of a B3350. The smaller the engine the more dependent it is on RPM, loading, thus HEAT in the exhaust system (DPF) to make it work somewhat properly. Secondly, the way the reformer works, it has a tendency to contaminate the engine lube oil with some fuel. The crankcase oil level rises and some of the contaminated oil is forced into the intake manifold/turbocharger through the closed crankcase ventilation system, where it is combusted, but the problem is that it doesn't burn "normally" and thus will carbon/oil foul the turbo, and in this discussion the DPF, much more quickly. This happens on a LOT Of equipment whether or not it has a turbocharger and is one major reason that the engine's lube oil must be checked and changed frequently. I see it all the time. Tractor comes in for "first service", has 400 hours on it and the original engine oil filter and a lot of times the original air filter (which is completely plugged). Owners then get online, gripe about the cost of a 400 hr service, gripe how badly they were treated by the servicing "stealership", and gripe about how poor the equipment is built. It is not isolated to the Kubota brand either. I also sold JD for many years so I know about those shenanigans too.

It's not JUST those reasons, it's a combination of a bunch of them including the software and hardware that is used on the tractor. Kubota's done as much as they can with it as far as the updates; some folks have issues others don't. Dealer I work for sold about 25 of them and thus far 2 have had problems that I know of, which were updated by the many updates and campaigns and have not been back since. The others I don't know about, either they've sold them, traded them, burned them, or they ain't had no problems. Being a service tech, a lot of times I never know what the history is. I just get put on the butt side of the complaining.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Sort of like the PTO brake on the M9 Kubota. So,e owners have issues, some don't. Neither of mine was ever upgraded and I've never experienced any issues with either at all/ I think it depends a lot of how a unit is operated. I', very cognizant of the brake issue on my units and I act accordingly with them. Almosat every PTP driveb implement I own has a free wheeling clutch so when the PTO is disengaged, the driveline stops rotating immediately and the free wheelibg clutch assumes the rotation, not the PTO shaft and brake assembly.

On non clutched i,plements, I always reduce the rotational speed of the PTO to base isle prior to disengagement. So far, no issues.

I thin k issues arise wjen units are operated outside basic parameters.

Could be all wet on that. I don't know because I don't own one.