My tractor decided to lay down and take a rest

Redpine

Equipment
B21 TLB, b9200d, bf350
Apr 24, 2014
Seattle
I was dumping a load of dirt and my B21 just rolled onto its side. Not much of a slope at all but front tire sank into the ground and the backhoe was pivoted al the way to that side.
Got it upright today but it was on its side for 72 hours.
Besides engine oil, transmission oil. and coolant is there anything else i should check before i try to start it up?
Any other advice?
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Wait another 72 hours for anything in the cylinders to drain back into the crankcase. Some might say that you should remove the glow plugs as an added safety measure in case there is any diesel in the cylinders before cranking it over. I am not familiar with your engine, but it can't hurt to take every precaution against doing any additional damage.

Reactions: 4 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Turn the engine over by hand a revolution or two and make sure it is freely turning before using the starter. If it has a decompression knob then pull it out and then crank the engine over a few times before you try to start it to eject any fluid in the cylinders.

The battery may have leaked acid so rinse that area of the tractor with water and check the battery electrolyte levels.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Either turn it over by hand or remove the glow plugs and make sure it turns freely.
Check all fluids and look for anything that might have gotten, shifted, bent or broken.

Reactions: 2 users

Redpine

Equipment
B21 TLB, b9200d, bf350
Apr 24, 2014
Seattle
Wait another 72 hours for anything in the cylinders to drain back into the crankcase. Some might say that you should remove the glow plugs as an added safety measure in case there is any diesel in the cylinders before cranking it over. I am not familiar with your engine, but it can't hurt to take every precaution against doing any additional damage.
Was going to wait 24 hours but will be a little more patient and wait 72.

thank you!

Redpine

Equipment
B21 TLB, b9200d, bf350
Apr 24, 2014
Seattle
Turn the engine over by hand a revolution or two and make sure it is freely turning before using the starter. If it has a decompression knob then pull it out and then crank the engine over a few times before you try to start it to eject any fluid in the cylinders.

The battery may have leaked acid so rinse that area of the tractor with water and check the battery electrolyte levels.
Didn't think of the battery.
Turn the engine over not the tractor...got it..
Thank you!

Redpine

Equipment
B21 TLB, b9200d, bf350
Apr 24, 2014
Seattle
Either turn it over by hand or remove the glow plugs and make sure it turns freely.
Check all fluids and look for anything that might have gotten, shifted, bent or broken.
this will stretch my megre mechanics skills lol. So far the only thing that seems to be missing is the knob on the loader control.

Thank you!

Redpine

Equipment
B21 TLB, b9200d, bf350
Apr 24, 2014
Seattle
Glad you're ok!
Saved by a giant blueberry bush.
I often swing the backhoe to the uphill side and lower the stabilizer leg on the downhill side just in case. I am usually very careful. Wheel spacers are in the immediate future.
Thank You!

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Was going to wait 24 hours but will be a little more patient and wait 72.

thank you!
Oil that gets into the cylinders via the PCV route will not drain back down after the tractor is righted.

I tipped my B2910 on its side ten or maybe 12 years ago, got it righted in an hour, and did not realize what I just stated in the first paragraph, and only learned that afterwards (I believe from a post by Wolfman).

I figured wrongly that in an hour there was not much time for oil to get past the piston rings and into the cylinders. Luckily, I had no issue starting it. BUT it could have been a bad experience...there have been posts here about bent connecting rods from hydrolock in a cylinder.

Not worth the risk. Turn over by hand or remove the glow plugs and blow out and oil that may be in there by turning the engine over with the glow plugs out. I will do this if there is even a need in the future, but hopefully will never have to.

Reactions: 2 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
this will stretch my megre mechanics skills lol. So far the only thing that seems to be missing is the knob on the loader control.

Thank you!
Getting the glow plugs out is really easy if you have the right size deep socket (no idea what the size is). There is a weird slotted round nut to unscrew with a screwdriver and then remove the wires connecting them then unscrew the glow plugs. It is about the same as removing a spark plug but you don’t have to worry about getting the wiring mixed up.

Without the right socket it is a bit more difficult to get a wrench onto some of the glow plugs