My take on BX fuel filter(s)

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
BX fuel filter finally got me.... last winter it started running like crap but after a bottle of fuel treatment it went away... been good all summer until this winter again...

took the engine fuel filter apart / looked good... then I read about the other filter in the rear... coming off the tank...

that one was pretty dirty upon inspection.

decided to install the "racor" filter mod...
bought the cheap knock off on amazon for $25.00 I like the clear bowl and it will accept the racor filter element.

cut the line at the rear filter and ripped everything out forward....
ran new Gates barricade line to the left front frame rail into the new filter.... then into the lift pump.
didn't make sense to me to leave the lift pump in the stock location..... too much back and forth with the hose....

I'm still waiting on my stock 'Bota plastic filter ... on the engine... but everything seems to be running great now... with my little wix filter to get me by...

not for everyone I'm sure... but thats my spin on it.

never liked the filter mounting at the loader mount either.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Really nice -
one question - not picking at all, cut the line BEFORE the RACOR and add a 5/16"/8mm 1/4turn ball valve.
IT will make changing the filter a lot easier!!!!

Another thought - add a small piece of metal off the brush guard to protect on coming sticks! I am in the process of doing something similar.

Here is the same setup - with cutoff valve.
2020-05-13 18.30.14.jpg
2020-10-19 17.57.54.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If I may offer up something, figure out some kind of a shield for it, cause sure as heck you are going to do something and shear it off the front end. Maybe even move it back toward the FEL bracket and put something around it,, just a thought

Reactions: 1 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
yup fix one "problem" and create many more

I hate the factory setup but they designed it that way for a reason

Reactions: 1 user

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
I had thought about using that filter setup but the plastic drain hanging off the bottom looked way too delicate. I ended up going with a Kubota filter instead. You will definitely want to guard that filter with it hanging out front like that.
1003009E-8741-4276-B211-3FA45BAFF8D4.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
yup fix one "problem" and create many more
Not "many" more (yet) but I did have to alter the front release arm for the mid mower... not a big deal... If I realized that earlier, Ida moved the filter back a couple inches...

Yeah I may fab a shield for it... or may not.

This is basically a home owner machine. mow the grass, dig a hole... move or lift something... etc. I'm pretty careful with it.
If I was out in the woods cutting a trail, I'd be more concerned.

got my bota filter today... so everything is buttoned up for now.

Oh, the shut off is a good idea.
I usually just use a hose pinch off tool.... came in handy when I was taking the line off the fuel tank....

Hell, at least you guys didn't call me a complete idiot... LOL
where is sidecar flip when you need him?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
"where is sidecar flip when you need him?"

Not sure I want to touch this with a Kubota fuel filter!!! :ROFLMAO:

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
I had thought about using that filter setup but the plastic drain hanging off the bottom looked way too delicate. I ended up going with a Kubota filter instead. You will definitely want to guard that filter with it hanging out front like that. View attachment 52281
Thats the same one i put on my BX23s. Mine is installed in the same place as yours is too. Mine is going on 3yrs old, not one single issue. I bought my filter kit from Mike (bxtractorparts.com) Built in shut off valve, love it. Actually i just put in a fresh new filter for this winter. Buy the replacement filter right from the kubota dealer. Dosent get any easier than that.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Not "many" more (yet) but I did have to alter the front release arm for the mid mower... not a big deal... If I realized that earlier, Ida moved the filter back a couple inches...

Yeah I may fab a shield for it... or may not.

This is basically a home owner machine. mow the grass, dig a hole... move or lift something... etc. I'm pretty careful with it.
If I was out in the woods cutting a trail, I'd be more concerned.

got my bota filter today... so everything is buttoned up for now.

Oh, the shut off is a good idea.
I usually just use a hose pinch off tool.... came in handy when I was taking the line off the fuel tank....

Hell, at least you guys didn't call me a complete idiot... LOL
where is sidecar flip when you need him?

John, I would seriously consider moving that filter back in front of your loader frame.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Ohhh, ok, well, carry on then. Hope you dont knock yours off the tractor due to where you installed it ;)
I just quoted you saying you mounted your filter in the same place as mine..... So excuse me if I don't know what the heck you are talking about.

as far as MY filter mounting up front.... I'm quite happy with it. Like I said in the first post.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Not sure I would like a fuel filter exposed in the front like that on my BX2200.

At the risk of jinxing myself, finding a place that sells clean fuel is probably most important. After having an issue with my NEW B2910, requiring a filter change, I started buying fuel at a high turnover place, and have not had an issue or need to replace a filter on either tractor in 17 years...

Off road fuel (dirty) caused my problem. No place close to buy it anyway except that one I will never go back to, so I use on road fuel, which although more expensive is more likely to be fresh it seems.

That being said, I did hang the relay used to cure the intermittent starting problem BXs have when they age, on the side of the frame and never had an issue. Perhaps I am overthinking when I see the fuel filter sticking out like that...

BX23S

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2022 Kubota L3901 FEL, BH, GRAPPLE, PALLET FORK, SNOW PLOW and Hard Canopy
Sep 1, 2018
ID
Here's my version:

I fabricated and installed a fuel filter bracket and protective shield for my BX.
Your comments are appreciated and welcomed.

Here are several pics;

IMG_3849 (002).jpg

IMG_3850 (002).jpg

IMG_3846 (002).jpg

IMG_3847 (002).jpg

Kubit

Equipment
BX23S,LA344 Pin-On,3PH,60" Blade&4PH,60" Mower,3RD Function Valve,BXP Ripper
Oct 29, 2018
Peekskill, NY
https://ph.parker.com/us/en/fuel-filter-funnel/rff15c

I use this fuel funnel when I fill my 5 gal can at the pump. This works fine for my low hour usage of about 150 hours /year. You folks with high hour usage would find this a PITA. Main thing--& an injector killer—it separates the water. Also, though the micron rating is not extremely low it gets the heavier particles that clog the main filter & leaves that one to only deal with the skinnier stuff--far less engine filter changes for only a few extra minutes at the station pump each fill-up .

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Good thread. >Another< Mod and/or upgrade added to my list.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
This was my solution. The local Kubota dealer has asked me a number of times if I'd be interested in making kits to sell at the store.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I like the idea, but

With my luck I would need to add this.....That thing would be on the deck in minutes.....LOL

Hell, I knocked mine off my L within the fist 20 minutes of going into the woods.

1697472603874.png

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
This was my solution. The local Kubota dealer has asked me a number of times if I'd be interested in making kits to sell at the store.

Nice job. 👍