My office today

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
First time on that tractor and first time pulling a turbo till. I was shocked at how hard it would load it up with only a 15' plow. When I hit some damp soil I would have to drop a gear. That tractor has pulled a 32' disc without any problem but that plow is a different animal all together. Has to be pulled at like 8 mpg to work properly. It was very impressive.

On the flip side even though I was on green it was still orange in one way. The farm I was working at is owned by the owner of Atlanta Kubota.

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
Most of the large farm tractors in my area are also green color. I guess they have dominated that market for so long. I see on Kubota's website that the M7-171 (168-hp) is their largest tractor. Have you ever had a chance to run one of these? I just wonder how it compares. Thanks for the photos. That looks like a lot of fun.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Lucky you. What a big boy toy.

I thought that area had a lot of hills, where did you find that flat area?

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
What I see a lot that strikes me as funny is when a kid climbs out of a machine like that. My neighboring mountain fields are family owned, and they put all the kids to work as soon as they can reach the pedals, teenagers anyway. Girl teenagers, and they put in some long hours too. On the slopes here it is impressive the low of center of gravity they have, besides the power and traction !

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Most of the large farm tractors in my area are also green color. I guess they have dominated that market for so long. I see on Kubota's website that the M7-171 (168-hp) is their largest tractor. Have you ever had a chance to run one of these? I just wonder how it compares. Thanks for the photos. That looks like a lot of fun.
I believe more green is sold just because grandpa had one and because of that nothing else will do. Todays green isn't what the old green was. That tractor is 40 years old and still running strong.
I have never even seen a M7 in person. None of the dealers around here have the demand to carry a tractor that big. You don't even see that size at the deere dealer. I would love to try one though just to compare to that size deere.

Lucky you. What a big boy toy.

I thought that area had a lot of hills, where did you find that flat area?
We do have lots of hills but some nice bottoms as well. Nothing like the mid-west but still some farms around. Sad to say but most of the farm land is only growing houses. Everybody want to eat but nobody wants to farm.

What I see a lot that strikes me as funny is when a kid climbs out of a machine like that. My neighboring mountain fields are family owned, and they put all the kids to work as soon as they can reach the pedals, teenagers anyway. Girl teenagers, and they put in some long hours too. On the slopes here it is impressive the low of center of gravity they have, besides the power and traction !
Now days it's strange to see any kids working. Most of them think a x-box controller is all that will fit their hands. I love to see any of the kids showing interest in farm work.

First memory I have I was 5 driving a IH road tractor and lowboy in the hay field. Couldn't even reach the pedals just sit on the edge of the seat and steer. When I had to stop all I could do is cut the key off.

Here's a couple pics from the past. I was a young teen when these were taken.

Attachments

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA

My neighbor runs a couple of them. Pretty impressive driving down the road when he's running twelve tires. We all have to pull into driveways to give him room to travel down the road.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I've really grown to love that style tractor for plowing. They pull like no other and will turn around at the ends like a small tractor would.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
When I was on vacation in South Dakota last July I saw all red tractors. HUGE pull off the road to let them pass combines and tractors. Massy Ferguson I believe. But bigger then ANY tractors this yankee had ever seen.

The 9200 JD pictured there. Whats the HP and better yet whats the price tag ? Give or take $10.k

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
All green around here too. The seeding is going strong and most are almost done. Farmer that rents my land runs one in the 450 hp range,twelve wheels when needed. Had to drive the combine with 15 foot header across the 18 foot wide bridge a few times. No fun. I had a blast at harvest a couple times when i helped out.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
The farmer that plants cow corn across from my property has a gambit of machines in every color. A hulking NH with FEL, some high crop machine that is nicknamed "Road Rage" and my personal favorite, an articulated White 8 tired machine that I can hear the turbo scream from the other side of the hill. Field is sitting untouched thus far. He has disced other lots though.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Now days it's strange to see any kids working. Most of them think a x-box controller is all that will fit their hands. I love to see any of the kids showing interest in farm work.

First memory I have I was 5 driving a IH road tractor and lowboy in the hay field. Couldn't even reach the pedals just sit on the edge of the seat and steer. When I had to stop all I could do is cut the key off.

Yeah and really in todays society, some one would be reporting you to the cops for the things we did as matter of fact! I think it has to do with how we were raised and how our folks were raised if they worked their behinds off, well so did you. And I never got to use the smart end of the equipment much, seemed I always got stuck on the dumb end. Though I wish I could still toss a bale like I did when I was 16,, I think the hay got heaver as I got older :D

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Skeets, funny you say that. I was called in on once for letting my son use a chain saw. Woman from the school board felt it was not appropriate for him to be taught how to do that.

Racer X

Equipment
GR2110 ~ 1948 Ford 8N ~ 1948 Adams Motor Grader ~ Kubota L260
Apr 28, 2017
The Great Pacific Northwet
Skeets, funny you say that. I was called in on once for letting my son use a chain saw. Woman from the school board felt it was not appropriate for him to be taught how to do that.
It is a sad day when other people feel empowered to tell us how to raise our children.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I would have voted her OFF the school board.......:D

YOU should have allowed her to demonstrate the proper use of the chain saw.....and when she baulked - tell her "better to learn at an early age than not understanding how at an older age.

I hate those who preach how to raise children.....yet never had any to raise!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I tried to be nice but told her I really didn't see how it was any of her business. I asked her what law I was breaking teaching my son how to use a tool safely. She didn't have much more to say other than have a nice day.

I guess they prefer to let kids sit around watching tv and never learn how to do anything for themselves. According to her I guess I shouldn't have taught him to operate equipment or work cattle either.