My new L1-22dt Sunshine

1coolbanana

Equipment
Kubota BX1860
Jan 9, 2014
Australia
Hi all, my first post on a great site and glad to have joined. :)
Im in Australia and Im just about to take the plunge and get a refurbished grey import Kubota L1-22 with 4 in 1 loader.
What would similar models be to cross reference with?

I was nearly going to buy a Foton 254 but thought the Kubota L1-22 a much better long term proposition.

Against the advice of every dealer I speak to, Im going to go ahead with it as it does not appear all doom and gloom and spares availability shouldnt be a total loss from what I can tell and read.

Am I doing the right thing?
Also, no power steering, would this be an issue with a fair amount of loader work?

I am struggling with finding much info on the L1 series though :confused:
And most searches dont seem to find much.

Could anybody tell me what I should be looking for to find service manuals , owners manuals, parts manuals, servicing interval data etc.

Small amounts of info come up with L1-225 but not the L1-22 so much.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers from Oz

Last edited:

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I don't have any info concerning your Kubota but that is one hell of a good looking tractor. A few nice ones in the background too.

Welcome to OTT...

1coolbanana

Equipment
Kubota BX1860
Jan 9, 2014
Australia
Thanks Benhameen, looking forward to getting it.
I still have a few hours before having to make my mind up but I think its a done deal at this stage :)

The tractors you see in the background are Don Feng and Eastwind, but the old Kabota won out!

Do you think think the lack of power steering be an issue as Ill be doing a fair amount of loader work?
Cheers

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
1coolbanana,
When you get it shoot me some specs from it like, tire sizes, motor size (it's cast into the right hand rear on the block behind the hydraulic pump) amount of cylinders, and type of transmission.
Just looking at the body it looks a lot like my L3450, and if it's mechanically the same your going to love it.
The 4 in 1 bucket is a really nice touch!
Close up pics will help to identify things about it too.

1coolbanana

Equipment
Kubota BX1860
Jan 9, 2014
Australia
1coolbanana,
When you get it shoot me some specs from it like, tire sizes, motor size (it's cast into the right hand rear on the block behind the hydraulic pump) amount of cylinders, and type of transmission.
Just looking at the body it looks a lot like my L3450, and if it's mechanically the same your going to love it.
The 4 in 1 bucket is a really nice touch!
Close up pics will help to identify things about it too.

Thanks so much for the reply.
Its currently in another state at the moment and I wont get to see it in the flesh for a week or two.
These are the specs Ive been quoted but I will certainly post detail pics when I get it :)

Im just hoping the lack of PS wont be too bad for loader work :confused:

Cheers

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It has the same specs as a L2950, Are you sure it doesn't have power steering? On the L's it was standard equipment, I have hydrostatic steering on mine (full hydraulic steering).
You should be fine if it is manual, they put a tough gearbox in that size.
When you get to get send some pics and I'll see if they match the mechanical of the L2950, if it does I can then I can set you up with manuals that should help.

1coolbanana

Equipment
Kubota BX1860
Jan 9, 2014
Australia
It has the same specs as a L2950, Are you sure it doesn't have power steering? On the L's it was standard equipment, I have hydrostatic steering on mine (full hydraulic steering).
You should be fine if it is manual, they put a tough gearbox in that size.
When you get to get send some pics and I'll see if they match the mechanical of the L2950, if it does I can then I can set you up with manuals that should help.
Yeah, I double checked with them about the power steering.
It was an option and you can get them with power steering but unfortunately this one doesnt not have it.
Is it possible to retrofit power steering?
Yes, manual, 16 forward, 16 reverse, shuttle shift and 4 PTO speeds.
Ive just closed the deal so I expect it before the end of the month :)
Thanks again, much appreciated.

buildspacetrains

Equipment
L2402dt
Nov 12, 2010
Melbourne Australia
Hi 1coolbanana,

What dealer here in oz did you buy it from? I got my L 2402 DT from Sota tractors in Thomastown Vic.
Spares and service no problem.
Don't get to worried about info on these grey tractors as not much (if any) exists. Really.I got a manual for mine from the USA but there were differences to my tractor enough to make the manual useless.
They are a Japanese tractor made for Japan only.
Kubota don't want to know about them which means you may be limited to the dealer you got it from for spares and service.
Even if you get a comparative overseas model number this does not guarantee part are interchangeable.
Good little tractor though but i would recommend power steering, as the weight in the front bucket can make steering very heavy. Retrofit if required. Enjoy.
Richard.

1coolbanana

Equipment
Kubota BX1860
Jan 9, 2014
Australia
G'day Richard
I nearly bought a L2402DT from Sota (in Sydney) as well but it didnt look to be refurbed that well and a bit rough.

Midway did me a far better deal with all the implements I need included and the same "theoretical" warranty, but hopefully that wont be needed.

The L2402 seemed a little cramped for my girth :p and the L1 had a lot less going on to get tripped up on and shuttle shift so, for the money, the L1 it is :)
I will definitely be looking into the power steer retrofit, any clues as to where and/or who might do that or sell me a kit?

I hope I can gather enough info to be able to manage all the maintenance and repairs myself, a manual would be awesome!

Cant wait to get it :D
Cheers
Marc

buildspacetrains

Equipment
L2402dt
Nov 12, 2010
Melbourne Australia
Hi Marc,
I can only suggest Sota or Midway for a power steering kit as I think they are the importers of these tractors. They would be the best to ask any questions. I was surprised to hear about Sota NSW as my tractor looked brand new and indeed fooled many people when I said it was a refurb. Google tractor manuals as I'm sure you have, but don't be surprised if it turns out to be a photo copy book of a similar tractor to yours.
Richard.

1coolbanana

Equipment
Kubota BX1860
Jan 9, 2014
Australia
Hi Marc,
I can only suggest Sota or Midway for a power steering kit as I think they are the importers of these tractors. They would be the best to ask any questions. I was surprised to hear about Sota NSW as my tractor looked brand new and indeed fooled many people when I said it was a refurb. Google tractor manuals as I'm sure you have, but don't be surprised if it turns out to be a photo copy book of a similar tractor to yours.
Richard.
Yeah, I was a little surprised too! All the other refurbs they had looked new (but were sold) and this was the last one they had for the next few months.
Rear hydraulics didnt even work when they demo'd it to me, bonnet was a little twisted and out of square, not real confidence inspiring, maybe Im too fusy! :)
Ive searched, googled and emailed most everyone I can find that does manuals but nothing comes up for the L1's.
Ill keep looking and once I can get some more detailed pics, maybe North Idaho Wolfman's data might be the right stuff :D ;)

Midway cant provide anything in the way of a PS kit atm and they are no longer going to be doing imported refurbs, I got the last one and why I got a good deal.
I might ring Sota in a few weeks after they forget that I didnt buy one from them :p

Cheers

Last edited:

1coolbanana

Equipment
Kubota BX1860
Jan 9, 2014
Australia
Confirmed delivery will be on the 24th, just in time for a 3 day weekend, can hardly wait to get acquainted :D
Coming along with a 6 ft rake, 4 ft slasher and 5 ft box blade :)

1coolbanana

Equipment
Kubota BX1860
Jan 9, 2014
Australia
Its arrived :D

So far its really been a struggle for any any specific info.
I did find a genuine full parts manual for the L1-22 at Just Tractor Parts in APPLE VALLEY, CA and they seem happy enough to post to me in Australia and even take Paypal but wont proceed until I call them!!! :(
Whats that about? :confused: :confused:
Its a little awkward to do that from Australia so not sure whats going on there.
Anybody have any ideas, it would be appreciated.

So far only had a little play before dark but looking forward to getting acquainted tomorrow :)
Cheers

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
Its arrived :D

So far its really been a struggle for any any specific info.
I did find a genuine full parts manual for the L1-22 at Just Tractor Parts in APPLE VALLEY, CA and they seem happy enough to post to me in Australia and even take Paypal but wont proceed until I call them!!! :(
Whats that about? :confused: :confused:
Its a little awkward to do that from Australia so not sure whats going on there.
Anybody have any ideas, it would be appreciated.

So far only had a little play before dark but looking forward to getting acquainted tomorrow :)
Cheers

I'll call them for ya, what's their number and what's your question?

1coolbanana

Equipment
Kubota BX1860
Jan 9, 2014
Australia
I'll call them for ya, what's their number and what's your question?
That would be great :)

Ive emailed them asking for a L1-22 parts manual and shipping to Australia 2156.
They replied, "no problem, $73 including priority mail, we take paypal and please call to place the order"
Ive replied, "bit hard to call from Australia, can you please send a paypal invoice"

Never heard back :(

Their details are:

JUST TRACTOR PARTS
13987 PIONEER RD. SUITE 2
P.O. BOX 3965
APPLE VALLEY, CA 92307
Phone Number: 760-240-3336

http://justtractorparts.com/KubotaManuals.aspx

Many thanks, really appreciated :)
Cheers
Marc

Last edited:

1coolbanana

Equipment
Kubota BX1860
Jan 9, 2014
Australia
Nice Tractor! Looks to be in great condition!
Thanks, so far looking pretty good.
Only a few minor issues to fix up but generally very good.
Can you believe they put the ROPS on backwards!!!
Changing implements is a bit of a bugger on your own!

For the life of me, I cant find the transmission/hydraulic oil level plug/dipstick :confused:
Cant find the level plug for the front axle either??

Anybody have any pointers?

Many thanks :)

Last edited: