My kubota experience

Buggyman

Equipment
L 4340, L185, ZT326
Jan 26, 2014
Eugene, Missouri
I am retired and needed something to do as a hobby. I chose to buy Kubota L175, L185, and L225 tractors. I have been successful in finding them on Craig's list. I buy one every month or so and restore them for resale. I am particular and buy only those with a sound engine, transmission, pto, steering and fairly decent sheet metal. Some look pretty rough, others do not. I fix everything I find wrong with them such as new alternator, new meter/tack, new seat, etc. I have done a lot of painting so I straighten out the bodies and put a VERY good paint job on them. I have been paying between $1750 and $2500 for them. I generally resell them for $1000 more than I have in them. Most times I find a 60 inch finish mower that I paint kubota orange to sell with them. I usually stick to spending $400. for the mowers. I will try to attach a photo of the one I sold about 6 weeks ago. I have another one I will finish this week that is identical to the one in the photo for $3500. During the summer they have been selling very quickly. I try to finish one every 4 to 6 weeks. For any of you in my situation it is an enjoyable hobby. The more of them I own the better and faster I get in restoring them.

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I am retired and needed something to do as a hobby. I chose to buy Kubota L175, L185, and L225 tractors. I have been successful in finding them on Craig's list. I buy one every month or so and restore them for resale. I am particular and buy only those with a sound engine, transmission, pto, steering and fairly decent sheet metal. Some look pretty rough, others do not. I fix everything I find wrong with them such as new alternator, new meter/tack, new seat, etc. I have done a lot of painting so I straighten out the bodies and put a VERY good paint job on them. I have been paying between $1750 and $2500 for them. I generally resell them for $1000 more than I have in them. Most times I find a 60 inch finish mower that I paint kubota orange to sell with them. I usually stick to spending $400. for the mowers. I will try to attach a photo of the one I sold about 6 weeks ago. I have another one I will finish this week that is identical to the one in the photo for $3500. During the summer they have been selling very quickly. I try to finish one every 4 to 6 weeks. For any of you in my situation it is an enjoyable hobby. The more of them I own the better and faster I get in restoring them.

very, very impressive - would love to look at more of your work!
please show us more pictures!!!:D:D

Buggyman

Equipment
L 4340, L185, ZT326
Jan 26, 2014
Eugene, Missouri
Thanks for the compliment. I hope I did not come across as bragging. I just wanted to offer it as a suggestion to anyone out there in my situation. I am sort of a jack of all trades and master of none. I am pretty picky about things and make the tractors run and look as much like new as possible. I failed to mention that I do not use the original kubota paint that the older tractors were painted with. All the newer tractors use the brighter "Kubota Orange 2" so I switch to the brighter paint which I think makes them look a lot better. I spray with a gun and add gloss hardner to my paint. Also for some reason unknown to me the majority of L175 and L185 tractors have turf tires rather than agri tires. From my limited experience it is obvious that in Missouri, at least, they sold a lot more of the turf tired tractors than agri tire ones. I am high on Land Pride finish mowers for the tractors as they are really well made. If you can get them for $500 or less BUY THEM. I do branch out a bit in that last fall I did a 2418 Economy tractor which I painted JD green. I will attach a photo of it before and after, and a couple kubota pictures one without the engine and frame cleaned up but just hood painted Mike

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thanks for the compliment. I hope I did not come across as bragging. I just wanted to offer it as a suggestion to anyone out there in my situation. I am sort of a jack of all trades and master of none. I am pretty picky about things and make the tractors run and look as much like new as possible. I failed to mention that I do not use the original kubota paint that the older tractors were painted with. All the newer tractors use the brighter "Kubota Orange 2" so I switch to the brighter paint which I think makes them look a lot better. I spray with a gun and add gloss hardner to my paint. Also for some reason unknown to me the majority of L175 and L185 tractors have turf tires rather than agri tires. From my limited experience it is obvious that in Missouri, at least, they sold a lot more of the turf tired tractors than agri tire ones. I am high on Land Pride finish mowers for the tractors as they are really well made. If you can get them for $500 or less BUY THEM. I do branch out a bit in that last fall I did a 2418 Economy tractor which I painted JD green. I will attach a photo of it before and after, and a couple kubota pictures one without the engine and frame cleaned up but just hood painted Mike

Never bragging when you can produce !!! :eek:

Even those GREEEEEEN things look good! :D

Keep a posting pictures and we'll keep admiring your work !:)

Buggyman

Equipment
L 4340, L185, ZT326
Jan 26, 2014
Eugene, Missouri
I have finished up the L185 I have been working on except for painting one wheel and installing the drive unit to fix the tach/hr meter. I ran out of paint until Monday when I get some and finish the job. I had to order the drive unit from Messick. It was a great deal (I think) as the item was $107. in stock OR they could order me one for about $75. SAME ITEM. So of course I ordered one, which is to be here the end of next week.

The summary on this deal is. Last month I paid... $2500 for the tractor and 60 inch land pride finish mower. $85 for rebuilt alternator, $45 for a seat, tach drive unit $75 plus shipping, $75. paint, $35. for decals. Total investment is $2865. If I don't decide to keep it for a while I will ask $4000 for the outfit in the spring.

I have bought a DR PTO trimmer which for now I have put on this tractor. I will attach a photo next week of the tractor with the trimmer. Any of you guys with a small kubota should take a look at the Dr Trimmer site and look at the video of the pto trimmer. I am anxious to try mine out as soon as I get it all assembled. I don't know if the trimmers are worth having or not but I am giving one a try. It really looks good behind the kubota. On the 20th I am taking this newly restored L185 to a tractor show in my area. I am going to leave the trimmer on it as a conversation piece as I am sure most people there will not have ever seen one.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have finished up the L185 I have been working on except for painting one wheel and installing the drive unit to fix the tach/hr meter. I ran out of paint until Monday when I get some and finish the job. I had to order the drive unit from Messick. It was a great deal (I think) as the item was $107. in stock OR they could order me one for about $75. SAME ITEM. So of course I ordered one, which is to be here the end of next week.

The summary on this deal is. Last month I paid... $2500 for the tractor and 60 inch land pride finish mower. $85 for rebuilt alternator, $45 for a seat, tach drive unit $75 plus shipping, $75. paint, $35. for decals. Total investment is $2865. If I don't decide to keep it for a while I will ask $4000 for the outfit in the spring.

I have bought a DR PTO trimmer which for now I have put on this tractor. I will attach a photo next week of the tractor with the trimmer. Any of you guys with a small kubota should take a look at the Dr Trimmer site and look at the video of the pto trimmer. I am anxious to try mine out as soon as I get it all assembled. I don't know if the trimmers are worth having or not but I am giving one a try. It really looks good behind the kubota. On the 20th I am taking this newly restored L185 to a tractor show in my area. I am going to leave the trimmer on it as a conversation piece as I am sure most people there will not have ever seen one.
Can't wait to see the pictures of the final product!:)

Buggyman

Equipment
L 4340, L185, ZT326
Jan 26, 2014
Eugene, Missouri
I brought it out of the shop today for the first time to get a look at it in the sun. I need to do a little touch up here and there before taking it to the tractor show next Sunday. For the most part it is ready to go. As you can see I am leaving the trimmer on it for the show. I am anxious to get back home and try out the trimmer. I don't want to have to clean it up for the tractor show so am going to wait until I get back before I use it.
Mike

Attachments

dag1450

Equipment
Sep 5, 2014
chalfont
Looks great! I have a painting project coming up and was wondering what brand paint u have used and like or dislike. Thanks

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I brought it out of the shop today for the first time to get a look at it in the sun. I need to do a little touch up here and there before taking it to the tractor show next Sunday. For the most part it is ready to go. As you can see I am leaving the trimmer on it for the show. I am anxious to get back home and try out the trimmer. I don't want to have to clean it up for the tractor show so am going to wait until I get back before I use it.
Mike
Mike,

Very nice indeed ! I like that trimmer ! Guys who have ponds, that would be the cats lick!

How do you smack it down to advance the string?:D:eek::D

MXBX

Equipment
B2601
Jun 20, 2014
Maryland
Mike,

Very nice indeed ! I like that trimmer ! Guys who have ponds, that would be the cats lick!

How do you smack it down to advance the string?:D:eek::D
You don't, you replace the strings manually. But they made it super easy. Individual pieces that go in one direction and out the same direction when needing replacement.

Buggyman

Equipment
L 4340, L185, ZT326
Jan 26, 2014
Eugene, Missouri
The paint is use is actual Kubota paint that I buy at the dealer. The only thing to be careful of is that older kubotas were one color and the newer ones are what is called Kubota Orange 2. The newer ones are brighter orange. I used the two even though the tractor was the early color.

The kutter does not advance the cord. It uses a heavy cord that is 13 inches long. It just slides into a locking slot in the head. They claim if you get rid of the woody plants and don't run the head into the ground that the cords last a good long time.
Mike

dag1450

Equipment
Sep 5, 2014
chalfont
Thanks Mike ! Yea im sure thats how i will go....then any touch up or future projects there will b no questions or discontinued brands or colors. I just have to get over the $100 gal orange and i think $75 for the grey.

40Farmall

Equipment
L2350DT, B1750, Ford 3930
Sep 17, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Mike, I really appreciate the knowledge-sharing. Can you talk more about parts availability? Also, any common failure items with the higher hours on older tractors?

Very exciting seeing old tractors come to 'new' condition!

Buggyman

Equipment
L 4340, L185, ZT326
Jan 26, 2014
Eugene, Missouri
Thanks for the kind words about my tractors. First, regarding the paint. It takes a little less than a quart of the Kubota Orange 2 for one of the tractors. The hood, dash and fenders in one spraying and the wheels in another shooting. I put on several coats and have never come close to running out. The same thing goes for the grey motor, chassis paint. I invested under $100 for all the paint. In fact would have been well under $100 but I always put gloss hardener in the paint to make it more durable and retard fading.

Regarding Parts: The parts issue is why I buy the Kubota tractors rather than other brands. Frankly, I have not needed a whole lot of parts but when I have, the Kubota dealer has had them in stock or got them in a few days, or for a bit less money many times Messick's has them. BUT if you buy the older small Case, International, Bolen, White, etc. you are taking a big risk. I found a Case 244 or 45 ?? the other day with only 300 hours on it. It looked and ran perfect.... I wanted it bad. BUT the pto clutch had gone out on it. The owner had looked for a year for one and finally given up. So here was a very nice low hour tractor that was only good to pull around a trailer, or a blade, and obviously very hard to sell. I have not purchased any of the small John Deere tractors so cannot comment on parts availability for them. BUT, they are made by Yanmar so JD has to rely on Yanmar to produce parts for the older small tractors. On the other hand Kubota makes and markets there own tractors so there is no middle man (company) to rely on.

If anyone on the site has a different experience or is more knowledgeable about parts feel free to chime in as I am far from an expert. The above is just my experience and opinion.