My gutless wonder

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
As many of you know the B2601 I bought is a gut less wonder, the OLD bx 2360 will mow in high range, what this thing has to do in low and then it is not impressive by any means. Yes new filter, new fuel, new air filter , fluid full. Blades sharp, gearbox full spindles greased. And it has been like this since new, the stealer says oh its spot on. I have some doubts about the people working there ,,,,, but I digress.
So somebody give me an idea where to start trouble shooting, I got all the dumb stuff covered, and no the brake isnt on ;)

Reactions: 1 user

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I know this isn't going to be much help because mine didn't have a belly mower but I was able to mow with a 5' 3pt bush hog in mid range without and problems. I sold mine because I hated the Mickey Mouse LA435 loader on it the new design for easy on easy off "Swift-tach" was garbage in my opinion.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Sorry if this has already been looked at - but symptoms sound like the governor is not responding under load? Find an old tractor mechanic (not necessarily K) to check it out ?

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I'll ask the first dumb question not mentioned yet -

WHAT RPM are you cutting in? Have you tried WOT just to see if there is a difference?

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Hey @skeets
Good one!

I wasn't aware of your ongoing issues with the 2601 so bear with me.

Three things come to mind before we all jump into the engine stuff e.g. (HP, compression, injection. etc)

1) Is it possible there is a lot of drag between the pto and the blades?
2) Is the blade setting maladjusted so it's too low?
3) Is the exhaust damaged/clogged/restricted (same with intake)?

And also, is the issue that the engine is bogging down as you cut or is it that the engine just doesn't seem to have much power regardless of what you do?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
As many of you know the B2601 I bought is a gut less wonder, the OLD bx 2360 will mow in high range, what this thing has to do in low and then it is not impressive by any means. Yes new filter, new fuel, new air filter , fluid full. Blades sharp, gearbox full spindles greased. And it has been like this since new, the stealer says oh its spot on. I have some doubts about the people working there ,,,,, but I digress.
So somebody give me an idea where to start trouble shooting, I got all the dumb stuff covered, and no the brake isnt on ;)
I was curious.

New tractor is same engine HP but 20% heavier and on 16" rubber rather than 12". I can see that changing torque getting to ground and requiring a different gear selection.

What makes you think there is something wrong with your particular machine or that you can improve that?

Dan

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Along the lines of what Dan said above.

The first thing I would check/compare is the gear ratio of the 2 machines.

It is possible the new one has a "slightly higher" ratio so it would be marginally faster top end, but lose the "grunt" that the old one did?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yep 85 hokey WOT always, Yep Nic I did check those things as well thanks for bring them up.
I dont have the specs for both side by side, the B is rated 26hp and the BX 23hp,, not much difference I know but still should be enough. Both have 60 inch decks, BX filled rears and wheel weights, the B just filled rear tires so I have to suppose the weight is pretty close for both. And I mow the same field and yard with both. Hills I mow in high range with the BX I have to mow in low with the B.

Thinking more on it, I think it may not be motor wise.
Now you guys have me wondering if there is something in the drive. Because I really dont think the RPM changes all that much when it is falling on its face, and no the tires are not slipping in the rims, chalk can be your friend sometimes. All filters changed at 50 hours and SUDT. I know others have the same beasty and say they have no problems with power on hills.
I am at a loss where to go from here, maybe just trade it in on a MX and hope for the best

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Yep 85 hokey WOT always, Yep Nic I did check those things as well thanks for bring them up.
I dont have the specs for both side by side, the B is rated 26hp and the BX 23hp,, not much difference I know but still should be enough. Both have 60 inch decks, BX filled rears and wheel weights, the B just filled rear tires so I have to suppose the weight is pretty close for both. And I mow the same field and yard with both. Hills I mow in high range with the BX I have to mow in low with the B.

Now you guys have me wondering if there is something in the drive. Because I really dont think the RPM changes all that much when it is falling on its face, and no the tires are not slipping in the rims, chalk can be your friend sometimes. All filters changed at 50 hours and SUDT. I know others have the same beasty and say they have no problems with power on hills.
I am at a loss where to go from here, maybe just trade it in on a MX and hope for the best
Now - your BX has two speeds and the B has three, the ratios in those are completely different, BX is either very slow or somewhat fast, where as the B LOW is "slow" and the M is probably something closer to BX 2nd. The top end on the B is close to 12 Mph where the top end on the BX is 8.4 Mph.

• Love

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Now that I have been pondering ,yes you are right the motor and mower remain the same the tram falls on its face.
Yeah 85 your right it B LOW s

• Haha

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Now that I have been pondering ,yes you are right the motor and mower remain the same the tram falls on its face.
Yeah 85 your right it B LOW s
Nothing to contribute…except that the abbreviated wording only confuses… it doesn’t help understand. This reads like a “final-drive” differences issue…? (backing back out)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I didn't see anything confusing. Read post #10, ".... where as the B LOW is "slow" and the M is probably something closer to BX 2nd."

It pretty much explains what you're complaining about.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA

I think you would like the MX if you decide to go that route that's a big difference in machines.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I didn't see anything confusing. Read post #10, ".... where as the B LOW is "slow" and the M is probably something closer to BX 2nd."

It pretty much explains what you're complaining about.
#10 made perfect sense to me….it was #11 which I didn’t quite follow… Oh well…

(”Yeah 85 your right it B LOW s”)

kdparker

Equipment
Kubota B2601 and RTV520
Nov 23, 2020
East Tennessee
As many of you know the B2601 I bought is a gut less wonder, the OLD bx 2360 will mow in high range, what this thing has to do in low and then it is not impressive by any means. Yes new filter, new fuel, new air filter , fluid full. Blades sharp, gearbox full spindles greased. And it has been like this since new, the stealer says oh its spot on. I have some doubts about the people working there ,,,,, but I digreyour delarership.ss.
I disagree with your dealership. I have a B2601 with 60 in belly mower and I live in the hills of east TN. I mow very steep hills in M with no issues. I have hills on my property that have a 90 ft rise from bottom to top. I have not tried in in high due to M seems plenty fast for me. I would unhook the mid PTO and see how difficult it is to turn the mower. Might be some binding in the mower gearbox.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Another thought about what could be robbing power would be the hydraulic system being under too much load. Does the hydraulic pump or sump or piping seem to be hotter than you can keep your hand on after operation for an hour of operation? Does anything seem wrong with the hydraulic system?

I hate to admit my stupid mistakes but I added a rear remote and installed an orifice fitting in the full pump flow line and my tractor would run and do most of what it did in the past but mowing up slight inclines was where I KNEW something was wrong with the additional hydraulics that were added. Removed the new hydraulics and tractor was fine, so chased down the error in fitting location and all is now back to normal when mowing.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I mow in medium range on my B2601. I usually keep the grass height under 6 inches when mowing and have had no problems. I try and cut when the grass and yard are dry. Good luck.