MY 1st Tractor Question

Tom in Blaine

Equipment
2010 L2800
Sep 20, 2020
MN
Good morning all, I'm Tom and am new to this site. This coming saturday I'm going to finalize a deal on a 2010 L2800 hst S/N 53628 with 468 hours, I've been trying to research as much as I can and have come across some disturbing items like weak pto components requiring major repairs and also I have not been able to figure out the year with the serial #, any help with with this or anything else will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Tom in Blaine MN

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
Hello Tom,

You cannot determine the year of manufacture from the serial number. Most dealers use the original date of sale for that purpose. If you ask Kubota customer service nicely they may provide you the date of manufacture and the original selling dealer's name. When trying to answer the age question myself, I go to major used tractor dealers websites that list serial numbers and ages. That gets me into the "ball park" on the age.

Tom in Blaine

Equipment
2010 L2800
Sep 20, 2020
MN
Thank you 19thSF, for your suggestion, it's a good possibility this dealer was the original seller but I would like to face to face when I ask that question, I will work on those other sites

Tom in Blaine

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
Hello Tom,

You cannot determine the year of manufacture from the serial number. Most dealers use the original date of sale for that purpose. If you ask Kubota customer service nicely they may provide you the date of manufacture and the original selling dealer's name. When trying to answer the age question myself, I go to major used tractor dealers websites that list serial numbers and ages. That gets me into the "ball park" on the age.
Another thought. You might have better luck tracking down the engine date of manufacture.

Tom in Blaine

Equipment
2010 L2800
Sep 20, 2020
MN
Oh great idea I'll get it saturday, BTW I was with CSC 2/505th Airborne, I think we were just down the street from you at Bragg

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
Oh great idea I'll get it saturday, BTW I was with CSC 2/505th Airborne, I think we were just down the street from you at Bragg
Hi Tom,
I did some of my training at "Smoke Bomb Hill", before going OCS (not Officers Candidate School, my OCS was "over choppy seas". I was in from 1968 to 1975. Last three years were reserve time. Great job, did nothing, the 90 day wonders were scared shitless of me! Thank you for your service!

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
Did you see this?

[/QUOTE
Tom, did you see bigG's reply a few post's earlier? From his link posted for that exact tractor, you may be chasing a craig's list scam. Be careful!

Tom in Blaine

Equipment
2010 L2800
Sep 20, 2020
MN
Hi Wgator, wow I just checked that out, the one I'm looking at is in Marshall MN at a dealer, the only picture that is the same is the S/N plate all the other pictures not even close, Ill be meeting with the owner of the dealership on saturday and show him this

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I smell a fish. Kubota don't EVER use serial numbers over...

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
...on a 2010 L2800 hst S/N 53628 with 468 hours...
I can tell you that I bought my L2800 hst, s/n 54,1xx in 2005 so the year of 2010 is bull crap. Yes, it has the ratcheting CAMs (split tractor to upgrade CAM was $1200 about 10 years ago... no guess about how much it would cost now).

My tractor started to skip (the PTO cams failing only using my tiller; most of the failed ones are because of using a tiller) I sold my tiller and never had another problem with it skipping. Now if they are selling it because the CAMs are shot, that's another story.

Sorry, just reading new threads on this - the tractor you are looking at buying is "real" not the scam one?!?! How much are they asking for it? Your tractor will have the VERY jerky hitch (like mine had...) I got that replaced with a silky smooth valve from a great dealer (that is no longer in business).

I love the tractor but only because the jerky hitch is not there... if you have more questions, let me know.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
L2800HST-F serial 53628 was sold new in 2005 to someone who had Midlothian, TX address

Kubota tractors don't have official "year models", but I bet you could call it an 05 model.

very seldom I did much work to the L2800 and L3400. Rarer yet L3700 but they weren't quite as commonly purchased.

PTO cams were more frequent than I liked, Kubota updated the early units at the factory and a few in the field. 53628 was done about a year or so after it was originally purchased. When you engage the pto, make sure the clutch is pushed in, you'll be fine. The other common complaint was the jerky 3ph, as said, repairable with a new position control valve

kubota does use serial numbers....not necessarily the same serial on two identical tractors, but a lot of times the same last 5 digits on two (or more) machines that are VERY similar. I have a ZG127, the serial number is identical to another ZG127. Mine is a ZG127S, the other is a ZG127E. Hence, they've now gone to 17 character VIN similar to automotive stuff, and a QR code that is super easy to scan and check without having to enter in the whole thing. For techs and Kubota dealer staff, the app is awesome. Should've been implemented years ago if you ask me. Income generator if you know how to use it.

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN
Is that RDO you’re going to in Marshall? If so, that’d tie in with the Proxibid link for Texas. RDO has dealerships there too. Perhaps the markets stronger in MN so they shuttled it up here. Or maybe there’s a story behind it, that makes a local sale difficult down there.

Tom in Blaine

Equipment
2010 L2800
Sep 20, 2020
MN
L2800HST-F serial 53628 was sold new in 2005 to someone who had Midlothian, TX address

Kubota tractors don't have official "year models", but I bet you could call it an 05 model.

very seldom I did much work to the L2800 and L3400. Rarer yet L3700 but they weren't quite as commonly purchased.

PTO cams were more frequent than I liked, Kubota updated the early units at the factory and a few in the field. 53628 was done about a year or so after it was originally purchased. When you engage the pto, make sure the clutch is pushed in, you'll be fine. The other common complaint was the jerky 3ph, as said, repairable with a new position control valve

kubota does use serial numbers....not necessarily the same serial on two identical tractors, but a lot of times the same last 5 digits on two (or more) machines that are VERY similar. I have a ZG127, the serial number is identical to another ZG127. Mine is a ZG127S, the other is a ZG127E. Hence, they've now gone to 17 character VIN similar to automotive stuff, and a QR code that is super easy to scan and check without having to enter in the whole thing. For techs and Kubota dealer staff, the app is awesome. Should've been implemented years ago if you ask me. Income generator if you know how to use it.
Thanks a ton for that major update lugbolt, I'm now worried that if I do use a tiller they will fail, would a pto clutch help with that issue? I'm going to see dealer sat morning and its a 3 hour drive. I'll get to the bottom of this saga

Last edited:

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
If in fact it is the one from Texas, because of all the TS's and hurricanes they have had lately, I would want the the dealer to put in writing it is not a flood recovery tractor. If they are not willing to do that I would walk away myself.

Tom in Blaine

Equipment
2010 L2800
Sep 20, 2020
MN
Is that RDO you’re going to in Marshall? If so, that’d tie in with the Proxibid link for Texas. RDO has dealerships there too. Perhaps the markets stronger in MN so they shuttled it up here. Or maybe there’s a story behind it, that makes a local sale difficult down there.
Hi worker bee, I spoke with the dealer Kesteloot today and he did say it was temporairly at another location I also informed him that the S/N tag has been spotted on another site related to proxybid, when I see him tomorrow I will have a sit down with him and get the straight poop as he knows it. I can't thank all of you guys enough for your input and diligence.

Tom in Blaine

Tom in Blaine

Equipment
2010 L2800
Sep 20, 2020
MN
I guess my next question is how do I check it out? do I have to operate it with a tiller attached and working the ground?

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
That tractor already has the upgraded CAMs. I've not seen mention of those CAM's ever failing, (in one of the most popular (?) tractor that kubota has put out...) no need to worry about that. The jerky hitch, well, that's another story and only you can tell if that's fine for you.

Mount something on the 3ph... heavier the better. Then slowly and smoothly as you can raise the 3ph from bottom to the top. Again, slowly do this. If you are fine with that, you should have a nice low hour tractor.

Good luck...