MX6000 Grapple and Third Function kit

ibbuckhunter

Equipment
MX6000
Dec 20, 2021
Merry Christmas Everyone. I have an MX6000 with Cab and loader on order (Merry Christmas to me). It should be here in a month or so. Do you guys have any recommendations on which grapple to get or which ones to stay away from? Also, should I just buy the Land Pride Third function kit and install it myself or is it worth paying the dealer to install it? TIA

Reactions: 1 users

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Good news your MX can easily handle a large twin lid grapple in the 500lb range, You have a lot of choice in the marketplace.

As far as third function installation, the answer depends on your skill level, time and budget. My recommendation is to get the dealer to do the installation, it will save any possible issues with your new tractor.

Its exciting getting a new tractor, enjoy.

Reactions: 2 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I bought my third function at the time of tractor purchase and let the dealer install and warrantee everything.

tanuki

Equipment
MX5400 hst
Jan 11, 2021
cobden,il
I let the dealer install and warranty the third function as part of the original purchase. The tractor I traded in had a WR Long third function that I installed and used trouble free for 20 years. The dealer installed the Land Pride, it's a button instead of rocker switch, but it works just fine. If you're doing work with rocks,concrete or big logs look at the EA grapples - they're tanks. If your use is moving brush or lighter duty jobs cheaper ones like the MTL and others should suit your needs.

BA76

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400 Tractor, RB3784 Rear Blade, RCF2072 Brush Mower, FDR1672 Finish Mower
Dec 21, 2020
Illinois
Welcome, ibbuckunter! And congratulation on your new tractor and attachments. The MX series is great addition to Kubota line-up. I know you will be very pleased. I purchase and installed the WR Long third function kit from Everything Attachment. They asked me a couple of questions and knew exactly what I needed and sent it out immediately. They also told me if I had any installation question to call and they would walk me through it. Luckily I had no problem and was able to install the kit in a couple of hours. It boils down to, is this something that you would enjoy doing or something you would not tackle. I have a mid-level understanding of mechanical and hydraulic functions so I was comfortable with the install. With minimal YouTube research and the mediocre supplied directions, it all went together quite well. The reason I went with the WR Long kit is because it allows me to open and close the grapple while lowering, raising or tilting the loader. From what I was told the Land Pride/Kubota kit does not allow for simultaneous movements of the grapple door and loader. I have found that I use this feature often and would hate not be able to do it.
Good luck, have fun and be careful!

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I got the third function with the purchase because in my case it costed me less than adding it later. The machine I bought was on the lot without the third function. There was a different model on the lot that had the third function which would fit on mine. They swapped them for (IIRC) about $500.

I have a Tar River 72” grapple. It’s made of low carbon steel, is heavy, and does what I need it to do. I have no plans to get rid of it. I would NOT recommend buying a low carbon steel “economy” grapple if you will ever do anything other than move brush with it. I will be working on mine later today because the gusset for the lid teeth is 6” short of the end of the teeth (which are too long) so they need shortening and reinforcing as the portion below the gusset is so easy to bend they sometimes bend just clamping an odd shaped log or rock. If you zoom in on the pic I think you can see what I mean by the lid teeth gussets being too short. I do like the long bottom design for moving stuff, which is 99% what I use it for. I’ve never used the vertical type.

Edit: I put a ton of research into the tractor purchase and in hindsight got exactly what fit my needs. I put no research into the grapple, just picked up what was on the lot at the time, which was a mistake. Not a horrible mistake, but could have done better on the grapple.

Edit 2 and then I’ll shut up: I do love the grapple. Even a less than ideal grapple is absolutely awesome. There’s just nothing like having a giant hydraulic hand.
A07DAFAB-828A-47C8-8810-A672A5407A1A.jpeg

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Merry Christmas Everyone. I have an MX6000 with Cab and loader on order (Merry Christmas to me). It should be here in a month or so. Do you guys have any recommendations on which grapple to get or which ones to stay away from? Also, should I just buy the Land Pride Third function kit and install it myself or is it worth paying the dealer to install it? TIA
The kit itself is quite simple but wiring and plumbing it can get a little messy on cab tractors. If they will do the installation for free as part of the sale its a no brainer. If they want more than a couple hundred bucks I'd probably bite the bullet and do it myself. There is no difference in functionality between WR Long and Land Pride - they both use the same type of valve.

Dan

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The reason I went with the WR Long kit is because it allows me to open and close the grapple while lowering, raising or tilting the loader. From what I was told the Land Pride/Kubota kit does not allow for simultaneous movements of the grapple door and loader. I have found that I use this feature often and would hate not be able to do it.
I've had the dealership install factory 3rd function kits on all three tractors that I've bought from them and used a Land Pride grapple on the BX and an Everything Attachements grapple on the MX6000. Both grapples and 3rd function controls would/will open or close the lid while raising/lowering the loader or tilting the grapple.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Good news your MX can easily handle a large twin lid grapple in the 500lb range, You have a lot of choice in the marketplace.

As far as third function installation, the answer depends on your skill level, time and budget. My recommendation is to get the dealer to do the installation, it will save any possible issues with your new tractor.

Its exciting getting a new tractor, enjoy.
I have to agree with this. The factory installed 3rd function kits are better than any aftermarket kits I've seen with nicer controls, and the installation is done really well, by my dealer at least.

I will say that I don't recommend going with a heavy model for a grapple. One of the reasons that I chose the Wicked 60 from Everything Attachments is that it "only" weighs 400lb and it's as strong as you could ever need. Also, it has a center hinge on the lid whereas many don't. The wicked 66 weighs 600lb or more and it makes no sense to get an extra 6" of width at the cost of 200lb of load capacity.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I've had the dealership install factory 3rd function kits on all three tractors that I've bought from them and used a Land Pride grapple on the BX and an Everything Attachements grapple on the MX6000. Both grapples and 3rd function controls would/will open or close the lid while raising/lowering the loader or tilting the grapple.
As long as the 3rd function is plumbed after the loader valve as is the norm the ability to operate the 3rd function at the same time as the loader is strictly a function of the loader valve. If the loader valve blocks the power beyond feed to the 3rd function there is nothing the third function can do about it. If it does not block the 3rd function (or any other valve) operates as usual.

Dan

Reactions: 3 users

ibbuckhunter

Equipment
MX6000
Dec 20, 2021
Great ideas everyone. I’m looking at grapples online and there’s such a variety. What’s the maximum weight of a grapple you recommend for this machine. Have any of you put one on that you found was just too heavy for this machine?

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I run a Titan 60” twin lid root grapple that is 650lb on my MX, it handles it well but I would not go much heavier as you want to leave a good capacity. If I’m cutting large trees, I will use the same grapple on my track loader as it has more capacity and less risk of tipping.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Great ideas everyone. I’m looking at grapples online and there’s such a variety. What’s the maximum weight of a grapple you recommend for this machine. Have any of you put one on that you found was just too heavy for this machine?
I have a smaller L3901 with 500# grapple. It is quite usable but far from ideal. In retrospect I should have kept the weight down AND opted for a design with less overhang in the front.

Dan

ibbuckhunter

Equipment
MX6000
Dec 20, 2021
I will say that I don't recommend going with a heavy model for a grapple. One of the reasons that I chose the Wicked 60 from Everything Attachments is that it "only" weighs 400lb and it's as strong as you could ever need. Also, it has a center hinge on the lid whereas many don't. The wicked 66 weighs 600lb or more and it makes no sense to get an extra 6" of width at the cost of 200lb of load capacity.
That Wicked 60 I find is rated for 35-55HP. Aren't you concerned about having a little too much power? (although not a lot of excess power). Also, do you recommend the single lid or dual lid?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I would stay away from the Kubota 3rd function for only one reason. The button switch that they use for turning the power on and off is extremely fragile and expensive. I have a cab on my BX23S and at the top of the windshield are cutouts for rectangular switches. When they install the windshield wiper and the front LED lights, they will bring a power wire up to the trough that is above the windshield, and you can wire your grapple into that power wire. It is fused individually with circuit breakers. The switches and miniature circuit breakers are manufactured by Carling Technologies and can be found reasonably priced on eBay if you don't care what the legend on the switch cover is. These are used in the marine industry and are very durable.
PS.. I forgot to mention that when you purchase the Carling Switches, go to their website and find the wiring diagram for the number of tabs on the back of the switch. I didn't do this with one of the switches that I installed and promptly blew out the main fuse. It took me over an hour to locate the fuse because it was located behind the battery where it wasn't readily seen.

s-l1600B.jpg
s-l1600a.jpg
s-l1600C.jpg

Last edited:

jermz2021

Equipment
MX5400
Nov 27, 2021
Michigan

I purchased an MX5400 open (no cab) in November 2021. After I got it home for a bit, I realized I would likely want a grapple.
FAQs
- I don't need a grapple. I want a grapple.
- I will beat the crap out of it
-What's the best return on investment?
-Could I buy 2 less expensive grapples for 1 EA grapple? TBD at this point.

Watched many videos and read many forum posts with mixed feelings. In December I ordered the EA 60" Wicked Root Rake Grapple. https://www.everythingattachments.com/60-Inch-Wicked-Root-Rake-Grapple-p/eta-60-wrrg.htm
It has about a 5 month lead time, which I can live with in my location. My decision was based on research and not - I mean zero - real life experience. This is a single lid grapple. I didn't want an overly heavy unit hanging off the front of the machine.

As far as the valve system, I'm still on the fence what I go with. I have a few months to figure it out. I will probably have the local dealer install the Land Pride option.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
That Wicked 60 I find is rated for 35-55HP. Aren't you concerned about having a little too much power? (although not a lot of excess power). Also, do you recommend the single lid or dual lid?
The Wicked 60 is rated up to 65HP but I think the weight of the tractor is more important than the HP.

Best Rated 60 Inch Wicked Root Rake Grapple from Everything Attachments

The dual lids are good for a lot of things but I don' t need that feature so opted for the single lid.

BA76

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400 Tractor, RB3784 Rear Blade, RCF2072 Brush Mower, FDR1672 Finish Mower
Dec 21, 2020
Illinois
That's good to hear. That would make the factory 3rd function a good option. The WR Long kit was delivered promptly, installed with relative ease and has worked flawlessly so far.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
You have not explained what you plan to do with your grapple or how much you intend to use it. What type of land and how much land. In general I would only buy a dual lid grapple based on the reasoning that the grapple will adjust to the load you are carrying much more than a single lid model, this may not be so important for moving brush but if you are going to be moving tree trunks and various hard objects the dual lid does a much better job of grasping the load better where there is differences in sizes of material on each side of the grapple.

The other key question is what style of grapple, as you have observed there are a lot of different products out in the market place from a lot of different manufacturers / resellers. A lot of the market and marketing is aimed at the strength v's weight, Everything Attachments sells very nice lighter weight strong product, they have a long waiting list and are not cheap, with your MX you do not have to fall into the grapple weight issue that impacts the smaller B & L series. You MX loader will run just about any 60" - 66" grapple on the market and still leave you well over 1,000lb of lift capacity . I recommend you load your rear tires and use either a ballast box or rear implement of at least 700lbs when using your grapple.

Another big question on grapples is what are your expectations for ground engagement, are you planning to dig or up-route stumps? Personally I don't believe that a grapple should be used for heavy ground engagement. There is a lot of difference in scrapping 4" into the ground to remove brush v's fighting a 16" stump. Most steel on the tines is 3/8" thick, I don't care who makes the grapple or what grade of steel it is you will bend it with your MX if you are too rough with it. The HP ratings are a real rough guide don't place too much importance on them as long as the grapple is roughly in your HP range.

Grapple pricing is very wide in the market, pricing has increased a lot in the last year, equipment availability at times is difficult. I own several grapples that I use across L / MX and track loader equipment. I have always looked more at the value side of purchasing a grapple, I'm not sure that an expensive model is really any better than a mid priced model. The only exception to this is the weight / strength issue of smaller tractors with limited loader capacity.

If I was in the market today buying a new grapple for my MX I would buy a MTL RG-7 HD Root Grapple in 60" width from MTL Attachments. They are currently in stock and price including shipping is $1,699. I own one of their smaller grapples and think they are amazing value. All piviot points have grease nipples, cylinders have guard covers and weight is average at 530lbs. You are going to find many grapples that are in the $2,700 - $3,700 range, my opinion is they are not worth the increased cost.

If you are really into ground engagement / stump removal I would recommend that you take the money you saved on the grapple I recommended and buy a Titan HD stump bucket, at 500lbs this thing works well on the front of an MX other than it is a long way forward and visability is not great but it sure digs well!

Good luck in making your grapple selection, no matter what you buy you will find it an amazingly useful attachment.