MX5100 hard to start

Blue

Equipment
MX5100
Apr 7, 2021
Pineville, LA
Starter acts like a weak battery. When trying to start, the starter will barely turn over the engine and then start "clicking" like a weak battery. Put a new starter and battery on it and still the same issue. I can start it but it takes about 8 - 10 tries of turning the ignition key on and off to finally start. I checked voltage at the starter and had 13.7, this dropped to 10 volts when trying to crank over.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Starter acts like a weak battery. When trying to start, the starter will barely turn over the engine and then start "clicking" like a weak battery. Put a new starter and battery on it and still the same issue. I can start it but it takes about 8 - 10 tries of turning the ignition key on and off to finally start. I checked voltage at the starter and had 13.7, this dropped to 10 volts when trying to crank over.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Since you have a meter, take one lead and put on positive battery terminal and other lead lead on postive post at the starter motor connection. Set meter to volts and try to crank and watch the voltage reading. Then do the same on the ground side, one lead on negative battery terminal and the other lead on the frame where ground cable attaches. If you read more then about 1/2 a volt you have exxessive resistance/corrosion in the cables or the connection points

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If anything is attached to the PTO shaft of the tractor I would remove it to eliminate that as a problem with the clutch not releasing fully.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Check where the battery ground wire connects to the tractor frame. Clean it nice and shiny, That's a common problem. A bad ground will make you scratch where you don't itch.