MX5100 Exhaust

kjb

Equipment
mx5100
I'm a new owner of a 2014 MX5100 HST tractor. Pretty much the perfect tractor for all my needs including blowing out a long driveway, cutting, raking and baling approximately 10 acres of hay and working in the woods. I have only one complaint and that's the position of the diesel exhaust port. Sucking back diesel exhaust is not particularly pleasant. I see two options. Extend a vertical exhaust or route the exhaust out the back. Challenges for either option, but given a little ingenuity, doable. The vertical option would add about 4 1/2 feet to the exhaust and the rear exhaust would likely add around 6 feet. Question is, would this lengthened exhaust create too great a restriction on the exhaust and possibly cause some engine problems? Would increasing the diameter of the extended piping be a good idea?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I'm a new owner of a 2014 MX5100 HST tractor. Pretty much the perfect tractor for all my needs including blowing out a long driveway, cutting, raking and baling approximately 10 acres of hay and working in the woods. I have only one complaint and that's the position of the diesel exhaust port. Sucking back diesel exhaust is not particularly pleasant. I see two options. Extend a vertical exhaust or route the exhaust out the back. Challenges for either option, but given a little ingenuity, doable. The vertical option would add about 4 1/2 feet to the exhaust and the rear exhaust would likely add around 6 feet. Question is, would this lengthened exhaust create too great a restriction on the exhaust and possibly cause some engine problems? Would increasing the diameter of the extended piping be a good idea?
If you change the exhaust on a race engine, it will make a difference, but on a tractor - you will be fine. Increasing the diameter will have little effect, race car sure - tractor no.

Do as Shaun said - add a piece, cap it and watch for low flying tree limbs and shed openings!:D:)

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Check on some old threads or his You Tube channel, Wildfire (Paul Short) put a vertical stack on his L5740.

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
What is wrong with burnt diesel smell/fumes. Should make that into a cologne.

Sent from my K011 using Tapatalk

kjb

Equipment
mx5100
Check on some old threads or his You Tube channel, Wildfire (Paul Short) put a vertical stack on his L5740.
I'm impressed by how many videos Paul Short has. I tried finding the video you were referring to, but no luck. If you have a link it would be appreciated. Thanks for steering me towards youtube. I'll be spending some time over the winter learning more about Kubotas.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I'm impressed by how many videos Paul Short has. I tried finding the video you were referring to, but no luck. If you have a link it would be appreciated. Thanks for steering me towards youtube. I'll be spending some time over the winter learning more about Kubotas.
Paul is indeed a master craftsman and really nice guy, he sure has helped a lot of us out. He made a seat base modification for me to put an air ride seat in my L5740.

He is so covered up in various jobs and custom work he has cut back on posting, but reads some of the forums from tim to time.Here are a couple of links that help though some pictures have been removed:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ubota-grand-l-5740hstc3-stack.html?highlight=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMTFbFn3U1M

kjb

Equipment
mx5100
Well I went to my local muffler shop that's been in operation for years. Not one of the chain stores. I got a 6 foot piece of 2" pipe bent approximately 95 degrees, 10 inches from one end and had it flared a bit to go over the 1 78" diameter exhaust. There's not much pipe past the bolt that fastens the exhaust system to the body, but enough to get the pipe on and two clamps. It worked great and it clears the bonnet and loader easily. Cost was $35 cdn. I bought a stack flapper at the Kubota dealer for $12. So the whole job costs under $50. A vast improvement. Thanks for all the input. Keith

Skeeter

Equipment
M4D-061 w/FEL; RTV X1100CWL; JD MX-7 Bushhog; and others
Oct 3, 2012
MO
Well I went to my local muffler shop that's been in operation for years. Not one of the chain stores. I got a 6 foot piece of 2" pipe bent approximately 95 degrees, 10 inches from one end and had it flared a bit to go over the 1 78" diameter exhaust. There's not much pipe past the bolt that fastens the exhaust system to the body, but enough to get the pipe on and two clamps. It worked great and it clears the bonnet and loader easily. Cost was $35 cdn. I bought a stack flapper at the Kubota dealer for $12. So the whole job costs under $50. A vast improvement. Thanks for all the input. Keith
Got a pic of the finished product? I have the same tractor and was considering a similar mod as the soot is really difficult to remove from my loader.

kjb

Equipment
mx5100
Got a pic of the finished product? I have the same tractor and was considering a similar mod as the soot is really difficult to remove from my loader.
Here's what it looks like. I'm pretty satisfied with the improvement. I think it's important to put the two clamps right up against one another. There's not much pipe there but there's a welded fastening point right around 4 inches from the end, so it's pretty solid. The top of the pipe clears the hood and the loader by 2 or 3 inches.

Attachments

kjb

Equipment
mx5100
Next project is a cab. That should be pretty interesting. I'm not too concerned about heat and A/C. Just want to keep the work station free of rain and snow. Both for the operator and to keep water out of the dash and mechanicals. Was spoiled by my old Ford 3400 with a Simms cab. I blow out about 1000 feet of driveway and keeping the snow off my head is important. Couldn't bring myself to spend 10k more for a cab and I'll be working in the woods. Factory cab would be too painful to bang up on a tree.