MX5100 and Landpride 12' batwing

kub3700

Equipment
2012 MX5100 HST
Sep 30, 2010
United States
Can this be done safely? I have a few big mowing accounts that I have been doing for the past 3 yrs with a 6' landpride rotary cutter, I figured I have enough HP for the 12' cutter but not sure of the weight. Does anyone have any thoughts?

UnionMan

Equipment
M5-111HDC12, L3800 HST , RTV-X1100C, SCAG TigerCat 61" Kawi FX Motor
Aug 21, 2013
Warrenton, VA
For what its worth I was looking into a bigger tractor a month or so back. Rightnow I have a L3800 with a 5 foot cutter. I went to the dealer and asked if the MX5100 would pull a batwing. I was told the recomend a 6 foot cutter for a MX5100 and if I wanted something like a 12 foot batwing I would have to step up to a M7060. Like I said for what its worth thats coming from the dealership.

UnionMan

kub3700

Equipment
2012 MX5100 HST
Sep 30, 2010
United States
Thx Union man, thats what I hear from other salesmen. Thats why I was asking on here to get a unbiased opinion.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I wouldn't hesitate to put an 84" brush hog, or a 96" finish mower behind it. I often wonder where they get their limitations.

kub3700

Equipment
2012 MX5100 HST
Sep 30, 2010
United States
I wouldn't hesitate to put an 84" brush hog, or a 96" finish mower behind it. I often wonder where they get their limitations.
I originally was going to get the 7' cutter but decide on the 6' because of my trailer, I figured 6" on both sides isnt going to mean much time. If Im going to move up on mowers at all it would be something significant. I think the main reason for the limitations is the weight.....you know the whole tail wagging the dog thing.....I figured with my tractor with FEL and filled/weighted tires Im somewhere around 6k # so I would think it would handle a 2500# machine pretty well, but for the cost of those batwings it has to work I cant be guessing, or it would be for sure a very costly mistake......but then again Ive made plenty of those!!:eek:

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Yep, that's a lot of weight, even worse with a CG about 5' behind you. Even with the FEL it is going to be a lot.
Agri Supply has a Kodiak 10', 2-blade mower that weighs about 1460 lbs - $4000; something to consider. It is a big step up from 6'. You should be able to handle that without the FEL, although you might want a 250 lb front bumper if it is hilly. With the FEL it shouldn't be a problem. Several of us really prefer to remove the FEL for mowing...
Let us know which way you go, and how it works out.

kub3700

Equipment
2012 MX5100 HST
Sep 30, 2010
United States
Yep, that's a lot of weight, even worse with a CG about 5' behind you. Even with the FEL it is going to be a lot.
Agri Supply has a Kodiak 10', 2-blade mower that weighs about 1460 lbs - $4000; something to consider. It is a big step up from 6'. You should be able to handle that without the FEL, although you might want a 250 lb front bumper if it is hilly. With the FEL it shouldn't be a problem. Several of us really prefer to remove the FEL for mowing...
Let us know which way you go, and how it works out.
The only problem I have with a 10' would be transport. I have a 22' dovetail equipment trailer that has 7' wide deck. Yeah I would probably prefer mowing without the loader, but I always seem to need it, when Im cutting. The first thing I do is go beneath some trees and pick up a load of dirt for weight, works pretty well. Thanks for info Ill check it out

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Honestly, I don't see the weight being the problem. Unless it's big hills 2500lbs shouldn't be a issue.

IMHO I don't think you have enough HP for a 12' cutter. Clipping pastures you might be okay but what I think of as normal material for a rotary cutter to be used on I have my doubts. :confused:

I base this on the fact my M9000 has almost double (80 hp) the pto hp your MX5100 does and my 15' batwing is a load in heavy grass. Clipping pastures is not a problem but heavy grass is a workout.

Looking over the specs on the 12' cutter you're just barely on the low end of the scale which works against you. I'm afraid you'll bite off more than your MX can chew with a 12' cutter. Myself, I wouldn't even look at a 10' cutter for that tractor.

You know what your situation is but my suggestion would be a smaller double spindle cutter like the RCD 1884 or the RCR 2596. I'll say this though, I also have a Bushhog model 3008 which has a 98" cut and in super heavy grass it's a hand full. Keep us posted. :)

kub3700

Equipment
2012 MX5100 HST
Sep 30, 2010
United States
Honestly, I don't see the weight being the problem. Unless it's big hills 2500lbs shouldn't be a issue.

IMHO I don't think you have enough HP for a 12' cutter. Clipping pastures you might be okay but what I think of as normal material for a rotary cutter to be used on I have my doubts. :confused:

I base this on the fact my M9000 has almost double (80 hp) the pto hp your MX5100 does and my 15' batwing is a load in heavy grass. Clipping pastures is not a problem but heavy grass is a workout.

Looking over the specs on the 12' cutter you're just barely on the low end of the scale which works against you. I'm afraid you'll bite off more than your MX can chew with a 12' cutter. Myself, I wouldn't even look at a 10' cutter for that tractor.

You know what your situation is but my suggestion would be a smaller double spindle cutter like the RCD 1884 or the RCR 2596. I'll say this though, I also have a Bushhog model 3008 which has a 98" cut and in super heavy grass it's a hand full. Keep us posted. :)
Good point Bulldog, I guess it sounds like Ill have to pick up some more accounts before I get a bigger mower.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
If you are doing fine grass cutting, a pull behind reel gang mower can even be towed by an atv...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ProMow-S...hind-Reel-Mower-SP-701/100671656?N=5yc1vZbxb9

as you can see, even Home Depot carries them.

They are worthless for field cutting, but large grass areas that are maintained in an okay fashion, they work well.

You could use your 6' cutter for rough stuff and a gang-reel system for fine finish, all with a smaller tractor.