MX condenser screen is worthless

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
The chaff build up is from grasses in front of the machine that release when the grass stalks start to get pushed down as the tractor runs them over.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You may be able to get some AC filter material in front of the screen that is easily removed and shake it out or replace it when needed?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I went to the job site with my Honda generator, the small pancake compressor, and the blast nozzle. That method was successful in clearing the cores. The AC coldness was restored. However, like a bonehead I forgot a measuring tape to measure the condenser. Oh well, I’ll be back there again tomorrow.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
GREAT that the Honda/pressor WORKED for you ! At least now you CAN carry on and not worry about $$$$ bills due to overheating.
Tape measures are LIVING things ! I swear mine grow legs and HIDE whenever I need one of the 6 known to be lurking in the garage, somewhere.... I KNOW there's one in the truck,all locked up....

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
GREAT that the Honda/pressor WORKED for you ! At least now you CAN carry on and not worry about $$$$ bills due to overheating.
Tape measures are LIVING things ! I swear mine grow legs and HIDE whenever I need one of the 6 known to be lurking in the garage, somewhere.... I KNOW there's one in the truck,all locked up....
I agree about tape measures. I try to keep one in most machines and most buildings. That way if I can't find the one I want, there should be one close. I also keep the first few feet of broken tapes, their great for quick use on short stuff.

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
I bought several tape meaures at Harbor Freight years ago and left them strategically placed in the garages, barn, workshop, etc. so when I can't find my good ones at least I have those which work just fine.

I did have tools that practically developed legs to walk away. I tamed a feral male Siamese cat at one point and he moved into my basement ham radio repair area. Siam Sam for some reason was fascinated with long shaft precision screwdrivers and he would carefully arrange all of them near his cat bed overnight. He never took any other tools but he would move the entire set of 12 out of the jar they stayed in to his sleeping area without ever knocking over the jar. I finally bought a second set and kept them in a drawer. He never stole any other tools and he never tried to align any of my radios with them so it seemed like a good truce.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I've had that happen
The chaff build up is from grasses in front of the machine that release when the grass stalks start to get pushed down as the tractor runs them over.
I've had that happen on the MX6000HST pulling the RCR1884 but it didn't seem to affect operating temperature at all so I kept on going. I'll see this year if the HSTC reacts differently.

In defense of Kubota engineering though, it's near impossible to design for every situation. Is your use in your specific situation considered to be reasonable or typical, and should Kubota have designed for it? I'm sure everyone will have their own opinion on that.

I've shown this photo before. The MX looks like a giant bee! 🐝

lvr_mx_11.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I’d say my use is pretty typical. My old open station MX4800 would overheat too, eventually with enough buildup in the radiator.

Hunter1157

Equipment
MX 6000 HST Cab, Kubota RTV X1140
Apr 26, 2020
Palestine, Tx.
troverman, I have a MX6000HSTC and have had the same issue you are having. Although I do not do work off the property with mine it can be a real pain if I am at the back of the property mowing and it is 95* plus here in Texas and I can start to feel the AC not blowing as cold. That floppy screen is useless. I usually make a 10 minute run back to the house and clean the condenser then run back to finish the mowing. If you do figure out some way to make a better screen post it up as I would be interested. It is just so damn hot here right now I can't deal with trying to figure something out.

I do use a Radiator Genie on mine at the house. Works great to get stuff out from the front and back side.

Last edited:

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
troverman, I have a MX6000HSTC and have had the same issue you are having. Although I do not do work off the property with mine it can be a real pain if I am at the back of the property mowing and it is 95* plus here in Texas and I can start to feel the AC not blowing as cold. That floppy screen is useless. I usually make a 10 minute run back to the house and clean the condenser then run back to finish the mowing. If you do figure out some way to make a better screen post it up as I would be interested. It is just so damn hot here right now I can't deal with trying to figure something out.

I do use a Radiator Genie on mine at the house. Works great to get stuff out from the front and back side.
I haven't tinted my glass yet, I imagine you have done that? Another thing I noticed is that a lot of heat comes up from the floor area of the tractor. I'm thinking of removing the seat pedestal and floor mat, and coating the whole thing with a sound / heat insulator. Something like Dynamat but with additional heat protection. And of course fixing the condenser screen. I will keep you posted.

Hunter1157

Equipment
Apr 26, 2020
Palestine, Tx.
I have tinted all the cab glass and it does help some. Another area I feel creates a lot of heat when out in the sun is the roof. Problem is getting access to it. Unless someone can correct me I think the headliner has to come out to get the cab roof off. I think if that was well insulated it would be a big help. I do agree about the floor area as another heat source.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I have tinted all the cab glass and it does help some. Another area I feel creates a lot of heat when out in the sun is the roof. Problem is getting access to it. Unless someone can correct me I think the headliner has to come out to get the cab roof off. I think if that was well insulated it would be a big help. I do agree about the floor area as another heat source.
The roof comes off easily without removing the headliner.

Hunter1157

Equipment
Apr 26, 2020
Palestine, Tx.
Do you know where I could find a video or instructions on how to remove it? I have pulled the bolts across the back but that was as far as I got.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Just pull all the little beige plastic caps off from around the edges of the headliner. There are bolts exposed underneath the caps. Take all those out, plus the ones on the back you mentioned. Then the plastic roof just lifts off.

Hunter1157

Equipment
Apr 26, 2020
Palestine, Tx.
troverman, I decided this morning to jump on the roof before it got to hot and insulate it. Just as you said the roof came off easy. There was what looked like a piece of carpet pad right in the center of the cab. After I blew everything out with my compressor my wife helped me and we added a layer of Reflectex and then a 2" layer of batt insulation. Made sure and covered the duct work as well. From start to finish it took right at one hour.

It was 96* when we finished so I took it out and did some mowing in the sun and I actually had to lower the fan speed one notch. Use to be after 5 minutes out in the sun at these temps my headliner would be warm but not after adding the insulation. I think it made a big difference on mine. I also noticed it seemed a little quieter in the cab. I may add some Dynamat under the seat area at some point. Thanks again for the tip on getting the roof off. Here are a couple of pictures before we put the roof back on.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
@Hunter1157 that's great. I will probably do the same when I get a chance. I really think trying to increase the insulation on the floor or under-floor area of the cab would greatly help as well. There's a lot of radiant heat coming up through, and this would likely have a greater impact on reducing noise as well.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
One cannot ever have too many tape measures!
One cannot ever have a garage too big!