MX 6000 Ballast, Multi Seal and spacer questions.

allis15

Equipment
BX-23S, Rr mount sickle, Rr blade
Nov 17, 2022
Ontario, CAN

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I notice the MX6000 Rear Tires are the same size as on my Allis
D-15 Ser.II, 14.9 X 26. Does Kubota not offer the 'Power Shift' rear wheel Rim similar to the Allis.

For those of you not familiar with the 'Power Shift Rim, watch this Video starting at 27:00 min.

Wheel Eccentric Repair For Allis Chalmers - YouTube
I don’t know. I didn’t think those type of wheels were offered anymore.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
D-15 Ser.II, 14.9 X 26. Does Kubota not offer the 'Power Shift' rear wheel Rim similar to the Allis.
I watch some YouTube channels that feature tractors with this type of rim. Was the idea to regularly change the track width? From what I've seen, it's a set it and forget it system which seems overly complicated compared to the type of rims we have that offer four settings.

I'm going to adjust the M6060 rims yet again to the second widest (same as MX) but will do it myself. Paying the local dealer $400 or more to do it seems like highway robbery. I'm going to use the MX with pallet forks to help in the change over once Spring gets here.

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
Time for an update. I can't find anyone to provide Rimguard. Green and Sons seem very nice and I will probably use them but they use Caliber 1000 for liquid ballast and it looks like it's a magnesium chloride solution. With tubeless tires, I'm concerned about damaging the wheels. Should I be? I plan on keeping this tractor until I'm out of the picture.

If I put that in, I have to check and see if the Multiseal is compatible. Is anyone using anything other than Multiseal in this application? I'm pretty much flying blind but know I want something for a tire sealant with all the multiflora rose I have around here.

Other option is to add wheel weights, but that looks like almost 2X in cost and not sure I can get up to 500#/wheel.

Any thoughts appreciated, especially folks who have real world experience here.

I hope to choose final approach and be up and ready by mid March.

Thanks...

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
they use Caliber 1000 for liquid ballast and it looks like it's a magnesium chloride solution. With tubeless tires, I'm concerned about damaging the wheels. Should I be? I plan on keeping this tractor until I'm out of the picture.
I wouldn't use anything that's corrosive to the wheels. You might want to see if Bio Ballast is available in your area.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I wouldn't use anything that's corrosive to the wheels. You might want to see if Bio Ballast is available in your area.
I agree. Calcium is a bad idea. I like and have the bio ballast, but there are other options such as methanol and water, antifreeze and water, or cast iron weights. Anything but calcium carbonate.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
One option is windshield washer fluid, buy it by the barrel or the case.
I don't know if this was covered, But with those rims don't do spacers, it wouldn't be in your best interest.

Looking at the rose thorns your dealing with, I wouldn't think they could do any damage to tractor tires.

Last edited:

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
Thanks all. I'm going to have the wheels moved to the furthest position, which will get me about another 2.5" per side, so I don't think I'll need spacers.

The dealer uses a magnesium chloride solution, not calcium chloride but I'm not wild about that either.
I looked into wheels weights today and it looks like that would be about $1.60/pound delivered to dealer plus cost to install and hardware. So a lot more than liquid and limited to 315#/wheel.
Not sure what to do actually. Can't seem to find everything in one place.

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I think you will like the combination of the machine and fluid filled tires and wheel weights…will feel very very planted to terra firma….adding the fluid and weights made a big difference IMO for my uses. Congrats and good luck.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I think you will like the combination of the machine and fluid filled tires and wheel weights…will feel very very planted to terra firma….adding the fluid and weights made a big difference IMO for my uses. Congrats and good luck.
If I wanted to add weights to my fluid filled wheels, would I need to remove the wheels? Or can the weights be added with wheels on the tractor? I’m thinking about initial setup.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Thanks all. I'm going to have the wheels moved to the furthest position, which will get me about another 2.5" per side, so I don't think I'll need spacers.

The dealer uses a magnesium chloride solution, not calcium chloride but I'm not wild about that either.
I looked into wheels weights today and it looks like that would be about $1.60/pound delivered to dealer plus cost to install and hardware. So a lot more than liquid and limited to 315#/wheel.
Not sure what to do actually. Can't seem to find everything in one place.
Magnesium chloride is also corrosive. Use another liquid ballast.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
If I wanted to add weights to my fluid filled wheels, would I need to remove the wheels? Or can the weights be added with wheels on the tractor? I’m thinking about initial setup.
I guess I don’t understand what you are asking…the wheels do not need to be removed to add weights…your wheels should have extra holes (for the bolts/weights) that a long bolt from backside of wheel will grab the first weight and the others bolt to each others (bolts/washers/nuts…if you have a at to hold the weight it would help…sort of run out of hands and they are not very light). that being said I added the weights first…long story….the dealer asked if I could wait on fluid until they installed backho, however I had to wait a bit for the Bh, and i was not satisfied with no ballast while I was waiting, so I added the weights, then after BH came and subframe installed, we filled the tires. I think dealer preferred not dealing with loaded tires to install the subframe so they worked with me on other things. It worked out for everyone. (Wheel weights are just a bolts walshers nu

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I guess I don’t understand what you are asking…the wheels do not need to be removed to add weights…your wheels should have extra holes (for the bolts/weights) that a long bolt from backside of wheel will grab the first weight and the others bolt to each others (bolts/washers/nuts…if you have a at to hold the weight it would help…sort of run out of hands and they are not very light). that being said I added the weights first…long story….the dealer asked if I could wait on fluid until they installed backho, however I had to wait a bit for the Bh, and i was not satisfied with no ballast while I was waiting, so I added the weights, then after BH came and subframe installed, we filled the tires. I think dealer preferred not dealing with loaded tires to install the subframe so they worked with me on other things. It worked out for everyone. (Wheel weights are just a bolts walshers nu
You answered my question. I was wondering if you had to remove the wheels to put the bolts in from the backside, but it sounds like there is sufficient clearance to do this.

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
I still don't have a solution. No dealers for Rimguard anywhere around or with mobile service. Also no Ballast Star dealers. Green & Sons will only use their Mg Cl ballast but won't add MultiSeal since they don't sell it but BUT their Kubota tire sealant can't be used in liquid ballast filled tires.
Wheel weights 2 months wait to order from what I can tell. And over $1.60/# with shipping.

Still pondering the best pathway. Only thing I'm sure of is moving the rims to farthest out position. That plus wheel weights and "dry" tire sealant may be best/only practical option.
Open to other ideas. Still have a few months. Never imagined it would be so hard to spend money.

CoThG

Equipment
MX6000, Z421
Mar 7, 2021
Ohio
Time for an update. I can't find anyone to provide Rimguard. Green and Sons seem very nice and I will probably use them but they use Caliber 1000 for liquid ballast and it looks like it's a magnesium chloride solution. With tubeless tires, I'm concerned about damaging the wheels. Should I be? I plan on keeping this tractor until I'm out of the picture.

If I put that in, I have to check and see if the Multiseal is compatible. Is anyone using anything other than Multiseal in this application? I'm pretty much flying blind but know I want something for a tire sealant with all the multiflora rose I have around here.

Other option is to add wheel weights, but that looks like almost 2X in cost and not sure I can get up to 500#/wheel.

Any thoughts appreciated, especially folks who have real world experience here.

I hope to choose final approach and be up and ready by mid March.

Thanks...
If you are anywhere near Wilmington, there is a local tire place, that does ag tires as well, that sells RimGuard.

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
It's only taken 3 months, but I think I might have a solution (no pun intended) late next week. My dealer is going to pick it up, move the wheels to position #4, then take to the closest Rimguard dealer to add 50 gallons of Rimguard and 5 gallons of MultiSeal Hydro 1500 (which I already have) to each tire/wheel, then return it to me. I didn't even ask what they're going to charge because at this point I just want it done ASAP. I've missed some great weather for clearing multi flora rose overrun pasture already.

I've been searching and some say to adjust the final tire pressure to book (20 psi) and some say to lower it 3-5 PSI. My manual doesn't seem to address R14s, but the tires have a max pressure listed at 35 psi on the sidewall. I'm not sure where to have the tire shop set them at, but I guess I'll start at 20 and check the ride feel.
Any other thoughts/opinions on this? Thanks.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
F
It's only taken 3 months, but I think I might have a solution (no pun intended) late next week. My dealer is going to pick it up, move the wheels to position #4, then take to the closest Rimguard dealer to add 50 gallons of Rimguard and 5 gallons of MultiSeal Hydro 1500 (which I already have) to each tire/wheel, then return it to me. I didn't even ask what they're going to charge because at this point I just want it done ASAP. I've missed some great weather for clearing multi flora rose overrun pasture already.

I've been searching and some say to adjust the final tire pressure to book (20 psi) and some say to lower it 3-5 PSI. My manual doesn't seem to address R14s, but the tires have a max pressure listed at 35 psi on the sidewall. I'm not sure where to have the tire shop set them at, but I guess I'll start at 20 and check the ride feel.
Any other thoughts/opinions on this? Thanks.
ir future reference, most truck and construction equipment tire dealers will liquid fill tires and can order most tire sealant and ballast products.

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
OK, time to finally close out this thread. The wheels are now at position #4 from the manual (gaining approximately 5" of width overall) and each rear tire has 50 gallons of Rimguard plus 5 gallons of MultiSeal Hydro 1500. I put the Multiseal HD 2500 in the front tires myself a few days before it went in. After being returned to me, I retorqued all wheel bolts (they were fine), marked the bolts. with a Sharpie and then jacked up the rear of the tractor to check the air pressure at 12 O'clock with tires off the ground, Both were a bit overinflated (25 psi), so I brought them down to 21 psi using an air/water pressure gauge. The beet juice is a little nasty to clean off but overall the prolonged experience seemed worth it!

Brush hogged a bunch of multiflora rose patches yesterday to make more food plots for this year and things went very well - I could definitely feel the difference in stability and am (so far) quite happy with the result.

Thanks for the suggestions and insights...