MX 4700 idles fine, Smokes and clatters under load

ldozier

Equipment
Kubota 2013 MX 4700
Apr 11, 2018
Dolores
My Mx 4700 idles fine but stared clattering and smoking under load. I havechanged the fuel filter and changed the fuel

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My Mx 4700 idles fine but stared clattering and smoking under load. I havechanged the fuel filter and changed the fuel
Hours on machine?

Take video and upload ?

JP_Austin

Equipment
2021 Kubota M4D-071
Feb 15, 2022
Austin TX
How many hours are on it? Can't recall but believe this one has a DPF. Under load if the DPF is needing to be cleaned out it can cause all sorts of odd behavior. I'd check easy things like above (filters) but may be worth looking into hours run vs. what Kubota considers as max life and service time.

ldozier

Equipment
Kubota 2013 MX 4700
Apr 11, 2018
Dolores
Hours on machine?

Take video and upload ?
It has 1950 hours. this morning it warmed up and the clattering quit. I used it about an hour harrowing with a few intermittent bouts of lighl clattering and white smoke. This afternoon heavy blue white smoke.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It has 1950 hours. this morning it warmed up and the clattering quit. I used it about an hour harrowing with a few intermittent bouts of lighl clattering and white smoke. This afternoon heavy blue white smoke.
Sounds like you could have a injector issue.
I would not keep running it like that.
Pull the injectors and have them tested and rebuilt as needed.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
How many hours are on it? Can't recall but believe this one has a DPF. Under load if the DPF is needing to be cleaned out it can cause all sorts of odd behavior. I'd check easy things like above (filters) but may be worth looking into hours run vs. what Kubota considers as max life and service time.
NO emission on that model.
So NO DPF,

ldozier

Equipment
Kubota 2013 MX 4700
Apr 11, 2018
Dolores
What color smoke? Checked the air filter?
This after noon blue/white smoke. New fuel filter. new air filter. drained fuel tank and added new fuel. Perhaps a plugged or bad injector. Anyway to test them? How hard is it to change an injector? Can I take the fuel line loose at each injector and blow through it?

Jim’sMX

Equipment
MX5100
Dec 19, 2023
W-S NC
My experience with diesel engines is white smoke is a badly clogged air filter.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Why would an injector go bad at 2000 hours?
Why does any part go bad??
This after noon blue/white smoke. New fuel filter. new air filter. drained fuel tank and added new fuel. Perhaps a plugged or bad injector. Anyway to test them? How hard is it to change an injector? Can I take the fuel line loose at each injector and blow through it?
No you can not simply blow them clean, you'll need to remove and take or send them to be professionally tested / rebuilt.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you don't have a local fuel injection shop, then my go to is Oregon Fuel Injection.

You also could have other issues that could be causing it, like a bad fuel injection pump.
But start with the cheapest, easiest and most likely failure point and go from there.

You're next step after having the injectors tested would be to do a fountain test on the injection pump and then on to test compression.

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
If you don't have a local fuel injection shop, then my go to is Oregon Fuel Injection.

You also could have other issues that could be causing it, like a bad fuel injection pump.
But start with the cheapest, easiest and most likely failure point and go from there.

You're next step after having the injectors tested would be to do a fountain test on the injection pump and then on to test compression.
He is inAustralia…🙂…hopefully he can find someone local…

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
????? Where did you come up with that?
He's in Dolores, Colorado
You got me there! Somehow, I clicked on a post that I thought you were replying to, and the location of the poster was Australia.

I remember the language written in the post I clicked on was just a little different than we commonly seem to use here in the states, that’s why I was curious.

Actually, I think I remember that thread as being about a L185 perhaps?

I’m as puzzled as you are!

ldozier

Equipment
Kubota 2013 MX 4700
Apr 11, 2018
Dolores

Well it was the weekeend and nobody was available to look at my tractor. I needed it Tuesday. I put 16 oz of Lucas deisel injector cleaner in 4 gallons of deisel and let it set at fast idle for 2-3 hours. Better but still some smoke at light load. I put 16 oz of Hotshots in 4 gallons of deisel and let it idle for a couple of hours then harrowed a five acre pasture. 5 more gallons of deisel and 8 oz of hotshot. It is running fine. I worked hard for about 30 minutes today before I got rained out. That was the cheapest, fastest, easiest thing I could think of. i had done the same thing on my dodge gas powered pickup a few years and it still going fine.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Well it was the weekeend and nobody was availabl to look at my tractor. i needed it Tuesday. I put 16 oz of Lucas deisel injectotor cleaner in 4 gallons of deisel and let it set at fast idle for 2-3 hours. Better but still some smoke at light load. I put 16 oz of Hotshots in 4 gallons of deisel and let it idle foe a couple of hours then harrowed a five acre pasture. 5 more gallons of deisel and 8 oz of hotshot. It is running fine. I worked hard for about 30 minutes today before I got rained out. That was the cheapest, fastest, easiest thing I could think off.
Glad you got it running, but order and install new Injectors!