Mulching Blades

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Looking for feedback and advice on mulching blades for my 60" deck. Ordered the Predator series. I know also Oregon makes a similar type.
Is it better to use them with some type of "plate" in the discharge or just continue to run with it "open"?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
normally 'mulching' blade are used with a closed off discharge. Idea is to trap the grass and cut,recut, rerecut it into a zillion pieces. THAT cannot be done if the discharge is open.....
mulching mowers work best cutting grass every 3-4 days NOT once a week. When the grass is high and wet, mulchers make a mess......

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I bought a mulching kit from Kubota for my ZD323. I buy Oregon blades from Amazon. Works like magic. If the grass gets really high, I slow down and let it work.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
yep with a dedicated mulching KIT (blades, baffles, everything) you have to :

cut more often
cut higher
slow down
cut DRY (very important)
sharpen blades more often
use a little more fuel

a KIT isn't a block off plate for the discharge. It's much more than that. It isolates each blade from each other. Kubota kits and mulching blades work very well together and I suggest using their blades rather than aftermarket as they are specifically designed FOR kubota mulch kit FOR kubota mulch kit. On my ZG127, oregon's left clippings behind, where the oe kubota blades make the clippings into dust that just falls and decomposes quickly between the grass blades. Good kit, works great but I had to get ALL of the kit and not just the blades (tried that-don't work).

Reactions: 1 user

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
I don't see any mention of a full "kit" or in the unit schematic on Messick's site. Do you have a reference for it? I ordered the blades and they're due here today. I know my approach is not the full thing but I am hoping to get a little more "chopping" action. I am also missing my side discharge chute. I think it would have saved me from putting a hole in my back garage LOL. guess I will have to still find that chute. Or make something

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
The gator blades work well and lasted a long time. On the negative side they left more clumps and didn't suck up the dandelion and plantain stocks. The would just lay flat and pop up behind me. I'm sticking with the high lift blades.

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
So far so good. I bought the Predator blades. I did wait a little too long to cut due to recent rains. But not clumping or doing anything in particular "bad". Cutting a bit better than stock Kubota blades as well. Sure not used to working on such a "tank" of a machine. Totally shocked to find 30mm bolts LOL My only 30mm socket is a deep well from back in my automotive days (for removing axle shafts). Had a hell of a time getting my impact and that long socket under there. Gonna hit the tool shop and buy some larger regular sockets LOL