Mower deck under coating ?

tmessenger

Equipment
B7100D P
Feb 17, 2013
Fairfield, IA
I picked up an older B7100 recently that came with a B-48A deck, the tractor has 750 hrs and was well cared for so the deck is still in really nice condition. I was thinking to repaint the topside as the paint is badly faded and considering undercoating it also. Is painting the underside counterproductive? Does the paint come loose and trap water, any suggestion on which coating to use that wont quickly get beat off ?

Thanks Tim

Big Kahuna

Equipment
Kubota 2000 L3010 HST with Loader ,1992 B7100HST , 1979 B6100E & 2007 F2880
Dec 23, 2011
Homer City, Pa.
Hey check out my thread...........B6100E B48 Mower Deck Restore

Nice deck! Big Kahuna

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
i aggree por 15 or powder coat.. after sand blasting and sanding smooth..

i would also spray some wd-40 on the underside before use and after cleaning...

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I agree- POR-15.

tmessenger

Equipment
B7100D P
Feb 17, 2013
Fairfield, IA
Thanks for the suggestions, I've know about Por-15 for years but never used it. Nice job on your deck Big Kahuna same deck as mine but mine hangs from 4 chains and is located on the tractor by a heavy 12" wide channel that attaches to the back of the deck and a bracket under the trans.

Note on my deck the front anti scalp wheels it made from a wooden rolling pin, looks like it's been on there awhile.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Made from a rolling pin? Ha! That is fantastic!

The paint wears off mostly through abrasion from everything the blades chuck around and moisture from the grass clippings. You want something thick and tough. I'd look for an abrasion resistant paint, polyurethane for example.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I've kicked around the idea of doing something like Line-X or get a Rhino roll on liner and coat the underside of the deck, not sure if it would affect the air flow of clippings or not.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I've kicked around the idea of doing something like Line-X or get a Rhino roll on liner and coat the underside of the deck, not sure if it would affect the air flow of clippings or not.
I don't think it would work well, Eric. If you bought the apply-it-yourself, it bonds and chips just like paint. If you had it professionally applied, it should hold up, but the texture of it would hold clippings and crud, and keep air from flowing smoothly.
POR-15 is tough stuff, and glossy. I would apply 3 coats, run it a season, and see how it does. My guess is that it will perform about the best of what is available.

tmessenger

Equipment
B7100D P
Feb 17, 2013
Fairfield, IA
I ordered some Por-15 gloss black I'll give it a try and report back in a year, I might even give the rolling pin technologies a coat :)

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Well the train of thought was to get the non stick version on Line-X. I know they make a liner for dump trucks that allows wet material like dirt to slide off slicker the snot. Thoughts behind this would be one protect the under side of the deck from rust and two never have grass clippings stick to the deck either when mowing wet lawns.

I come up with alot of hair brain ideas I've yet to execute, some great ideas and others not so much.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Well the train of thought was to get the non stick version on Line-X. I know they make a liner for dump trucks that allows wet material like dirt to slide off slicker the snot. Thoughts behind this would be one protect the under side of the deck from rust and two never have grass clippings stick to the deck either when mowing wet lawns.

I come up with alot of hair brain ideas I've yet to execute, some great ideas and others not so much.
That would probably work pretty well.
Any idea on how much to coat a mower deck? I checked one time about getting an ATV rack coated with Rhino Lining, and they wanted $200.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I have no idea, its never gotten any further then a thought and its the first time sharing it with others here LOL!

Sterno

Equipment
Kubota B6100D, B7100HST, Ber-Vac S51 3PT Snowblower, Kubota A450
Dec 9, 2012
Summerland, British Columbia
If you're inclined to powder coat try to find a shop that sprays Fusion-Bonded Epoxy coatings. It's what's used to coat steel water and wastewater system parts and it has excellent abrasion resistance.

coralhead

Equipment
B7100HST
Dec 29, 2012
S Indiana
I have just reworked my RC60-71B on my late model B7100 and used Rustoleum Gloss Black and added enamel hardener and painted it on thick with a brush. A lot cheaper than POR-15 but then again it is what I had on hand in the garage.

tmessenger

Equipment
B7100D P
Feb 17, 2013
Fairfield, IA
I ended up using Por-15 gloss black it dries with a very high gloss slippery finish. this stuff is really nasty smelling I would recommend outdoor applications or a very good respirator for application. I'll let you know next fall how it looks after some hours on it.