Morton Building Project - NH

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
It’s 24’x24’x10’ with a 6’ porch. The doors are 8’x9’ and 12’x9’. I would have liked to have gone 24’x32’ but there’s a perimeter drain for my septic system about 6’-8’ out from the doors. I hooked up a 200W solar setup with 12V lights and to run an inverter for 120v power. My other Morton building is visible in the background. View attachment 80813 View attachment 80814
Perfect,

I didn't mention it, but I am planning a stand alone solar setup for my building as well. Might pick your brain there a bit. Concurrently we are having a 16kWh setup installed for the house but I don't want to deal with additional trenching etc for this building so I will do stand alone with a battery.

I'm thinking through the largest draw I would put on that system and I think I might need it to be able to run a medium sized compressor for tires etc.

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
BX is that all you use to power that building ?
Yes. I don’t do much work in there. I just need enough power to run the lights, a fan on the porch, and to occasionally run my pancake compressor to air up tires. I’ve also used it to run a battery charger. When I was building the patio, I used a 7 Amp angle grinder to cut the curve on the blocks. It ran for about 1-1/2 to 2 hrs before the battery (deep cycle marine) ran down enough to shut the inverter down due to low voltage. Additional batteries would have obviously extended the run time.
This was my first time messing with solar power so I did a lot of research before I bought anything.

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
Perfect,

I didn't mention it, but I am planning a stand alone solar setup for my building as well. Might pick your brain there a bit. Concurrently we are having a 16kWh setup installed for the house but I don't want to deal with additional trenching etc for this building so I will do stand alone with a battery.

I'm thinking through the largest draw I would put on that system and I think I might need it to be able to run a medium sized compressor for tires etc.
Feel free to ask questions and I’ll try to answer them. I don’t claim to be even close to an expert when it comes to solar power. I knew basically nothing about it before this project. I just did a lot of research online and talked with a coworker who knows about solar.

My setup is:

Renogy 200W premium package with mono crystalline panels, 20 amp Rover charge controller and bluetooth module

Square D breaker box with QO series breakers
They are rated for up to 48V DC whereas other breakers only work with AC voltage. Way cheaper than special “solar breakers”

Duracell Group 27 deep cycle marine battery

BCI 2000W running/ 4000W peak pure sine wave inverter. Pure sine is more expensive but it is cleaner power than modified sine wave.

The lights are 6 x 60W equivalent A base 12V LED RV bulbs in porcelain bases that are wired to the breaker box with 14-2 Romex. If some day I run power from the house, all I have to do is change out to 120V bulbs.

The panel mount was built to allow easy adjustment of panel angle between summer and winter.

58853DD5-3062-4D22-8619-86A1C3F77F96.jpeg
7BEAC26F-71CB-49C6-B766-4FF9C0DF1A16.jpeg

Last edited:

River19

Equipment
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
Quick "update" on progress so far......

Met with my site work guy today, worked with him before so I trust him and I know he and his crew will do a great job. Plus they actually built our house and did all the original drainage etc for the property so they know it well.

It will need lots of Fill and then a good amount of gravel for the new driveway area to access the building.

Site work will most likely come in at about $8K for what will turn out to be about a 45'x45' pad.......while the building is 24x32 the Morton team needs 10-12' around the perimeter for equipment during the build.

Got my "tree guy" coming over in the next few days to take a look at what needs to come down.

I have a feeling the Kubota will get a workout cleaning up the trees.........

River19

Equipment
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
2nd Quick Update:

My "tree guy" came out this week to take a look at the job. The primary tree is a large pine that looks to be about 100' trunk diameter is over 36", there are also a handful of "lesser" trees with 10-14" diameter trunks. Looks like just over $1K should get things done.

He'll climb the large tree and top it then drop it in 10-12' sections. He is going to take the larger pine away for me as there is a local guy that will saw it up for rough boards. With fuel prices today most small sawmill guys are very picky with how far they drive to get wood etc.

So, I am trying to keep this project at ~$50K all in for everything and so far we are right on that target. We shall see how it all comes together........

Need to start the trees ASAP as the Morton rep called and they seem to want to move my project up......which is great, if the site was ready lol

River19

Equipment
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
"Tree Guy" started with the biggest tree yesterday. Was a bit of a beast to ge the logs out and loaded. We ended up using my snatch block with his long line and truck to "yard" the logs to where they could be grabbed and loaded by the rig.

Too bad no one had a sawmill ready to take these logs as they were beautiful pine with tight grain. They were donated to the local volunteer fire dept as they chop and split pine to sell for the local campground to raise money for the dept.

When Matt climbed the large tree he got up top and shouted down to myself and his wife (his spotter) "this is a pretty funky tree"......as it leaned in 3 different directions over the course of the trunk.

More cleanup then dropping the smaller trees next week.

Morton called and wants to put me on scheduled mid July which means a Mid August Build, which is awesome.

IMG_3077.jpeg
IMG_3078.jpeg
IMG_3084.jpeg
IMG_3093.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users