More storage!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you buy one,....definitely buy a 40 footer!
It will be full before you know it!
20' units are a lot more reasonable price and delivery option wise to get delivered and moving them around is much easier.
My 20' weights around 5k lbs. and a 40' is 10k lbs.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
20' units are a lot more reasonable price and delivery option wise to get delivered and moving them around is much easier.
My 20' weights around 5k lbs. and a 40' is 10k lbs.
Obviously then: Buy TWO 20 footers instead!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Or in my case just have another friend give me another one! 🤪
Fortunately, 30+ years ago, I built myself 2 buildings with 3700 total sq.ft. of indoor storage.
My 2 sons and I manage to keep them both full to the brim, with things & stuff.:)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Fortunately, 30+ years ago, I built myself 2 buildings with 3700 total sq.ft. of indoor storage.
My 2 sons and I manage to keep them both full to the brim, with things & stuff.:)
Fried, what is the difference between "things" and "stuff"? ;)

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
What a friend you have there! Do you plan on maybe painting it a dark green so it blends in with the trees?

Had a friend give me this 20' Container, he moved and didn't want to move it with him.
If you seen my garage / shop you would understand his real motivation for giving it to me, I have a hard wood / cabinet wood / tools problem!

Now I just need to clear a flat spot then "Kitty" and "Little Miss forks around" gets to wangle it to it's new home.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Nice score man!

I priced a 40 footer out about a month ago and delivered it was something like $4,900.

I also need to replace some of my friends....
In 2019 BC (before COVID) I was all set on buying two 40ft containers and had a company come up to the property to see if they could put them where I wanted them. Nope! There's no way to get them up here without the use of a heavy lift helicopter and that wasn't in the budget!

My only option is 20ft containers and maybe one day I'll have a couple up here.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What a friend you have there! Do you plan on maybe painting it a dark green so it blends in with the trees?
We might be doing that, surprisingly the red blends into the tree trunks really well.

The Cedar shed with the red roof, is a 10 x 16 garden shed, Mennonite made.
Yes your right it does look like a speeder shack, and considering the RR line is on my property border would make sense.
Oh and that shed also was given to me to by another friend. 🤪
He had a postage stamp property just up the road, and it wouldn't fit on his place when he bought it, So I told him he could put it on our place and get into it anytime they wanted.
They ended up moving and gave it to me.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
In 2019 BC (before COVID) I was all set on buying two 40ft containers and had a company come up to the property to see if they could put them where I wanted them. Nope! There's no way to get them up here without the use of a heavy lift helicopter and that wasn't in the budget!

My only option is 20ft containers and maybe one day I'll have a couple up here.
Yes the joys of living in the Mountains!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Some guys are lucky....
Me, I'd NEED a building permit to have one on my property.....
Really, no joke, City of Hamilton requires a building permit,site locates, and inspections,cost close to $1000 !!!
Even with a building permit, they won't let me have one where I'm at unless I have one additional acre. I even asked if I could take one or two 20' on a slab and add a roof/siding just like a regular structure and they said no... Fascists.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Even with a building permit, they won't let me have one where I'm at unless I have one additional acre. I even asked if I could take one or two 20' on a slab and add a roof/siding just like a regular structure and they said no... Fascists.
Just to make sure I went to planning and confirmed that I don't need any permits for my storage container, and I also don't need a permit to move my old shop.

• Love

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Just to make sure I went to planning and confirmed that I don't need any permits for my storage container, and I also don't need a permit to move my old shop.
The perks of living in Idaho 😁

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
No permit required where mine is, but they do a "courtesy" inspection whenever they see one.
If it is not to their spec, (on the county website) they will issue a ticket, and if not corrected, they will apply fines.
Basically it cannot be located in a flood area or watercourse, it cannot be an eyesore to the neighbors, and it must be painted to blend in with the landscape. Having said that, mine & the neighbor's are the only two in the area that fully conform. And, like virtually everything else in AZ, there is no enforcement.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
North Idaho has been getting a little crazy with building location permits, I get it we've had a huge boom in people moving here and building.
A location permit only makes sure it's not built to close to property lines, roads, or other easements.
There is no building permits, so you could build your house out of tooth picks and duct tape if you want to.
And I'm pretty sure several have done just that! :oops:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
North Idaho has been getting a little crazy with building location permits, I get it we've had a huge boom in people moving here and building.
A location permit only makes sure it's not built to close to property lines, roads, or other easements.
There is no building permits, so you could build your house out of tooth picks and duct tape if you want to.
And I'm pretty sure several have done just that! :oops:
Same here in Kalispell if you're outside city limits. Septic systems for sure and possibly wells are the only things that need permits. You're free to do just about anything, except spray pesticides (commercially) without a license it seems, oh, and shoot deer/elk on your property. Yeah, hunting is highly regulated up here, but not building.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Same here in Kalispell if you're outside city limits. Septic systems for sure and possibly wells are the only things that need permits. You're free to do just about anything, except spray pesticides (commercially) without a license it seems, oh, and shoot deer/elk on your property. Yeah, hunting is highly regulated up here, but not building.
We have state Electrical, Plumbing, HVAC, and Septic System permits and inspection, the inspectors all have been great while building my house.
I'm hoping to get the last of everything done here shortly on our home to get final inspections.

We have no structural permits or inspections?
I find it super odd that the bones of the house can be junk as long as everything else is done right????

For example: A lot of people that build here tend to way under do the trusses, our snow load is enough to warrant over doing the trusses!

Last edited: