MMM or rear 3 pt?

Grumpyjoe

Dec 21, 2016
Miller
Many have an opinion bu I am curious of specs. I prefer the rear 3pt mower so I can take it on and off easily. The MMM I would have to modify my belly cage and stuff. Not a big problem but not what I want when we mow weekly out here. I own 11 acres and it is rolling land with a lot of tree line I need my Rotary cutter to keep clean with. I am planting real grass lawns now and will need to finish mow it rather than hogging.

On teh BX25 the mid PTO is 1040 where the rear is 540RPM. So with a rear mower are the pulleys changed to increase blade speeds for cleaner cuts of the grass? The mower decks look quite similar but I have not seen them side by side. I liked the idea of the MMM and a grass catcher but it would be a lot of work each week for mowing. The only reason I would catch clippings is for mulch bins.

So can anyone comment on PTO speed vs Mower Blade speeds on MMM and rear mowers as well as quality of cuts?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The blades on both decks spin at the same speeds, they just have different gearing in the gear box to change it.

Grumpyjoe

Dec 21, 2016
Miller
That is what I thought but I could not find the specs anywhere. So is there any advantage to the MMM over rear? I read many find tight corners are easier with MMM and I am not worried there. But is service easier, cheaper, parts more available? Or will it just be a preference on how I want to attach it?

Like I said it is a larger farm of 10 acres. Eventually I will be mowing 5-8 acres of it. I still change attachments frequently sometimes 3 a day. I am getting much quicker at it. The MMM would take extra work as the belly pan would also come off each time then be reinstalled.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
My opinion is, belly mowers are nice, but for dedicated tractors. If you (or me!) are changing implements frequently you don't want to have a MMM under you.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Three point is much faster to change out.
Parts and costs for repairs is about the same.
I think the rear mount finish mowers are built a little tougher for most models.
Get the largest you can for the HP available.
One note because the MMM PTO spins faster there is a HP required difference between the 2 and some times the MMM can mow a wider path with less HP required, so check specs.

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
if you are doing a large area, and already have a three point. a option is to have a second set of blades, with a finish mow cut on them. it won't be perfect, but will work.

the best option for a nice finish, is to use the horizontal rotary blades, in a gang mower, depending on the size and horsepower. you can connect a three mower gang, or five mower gang or if you have a large tractor a gang with as many units as it will pull.
the more you units you pull and power with the pto, the wider swath you can cut per trip...

http://www.promow.com

these are self powered, a pto unit will increase your cost... but will cut better.

Last edited:

Grumpyjoe

Dec 21, 2016
Miller
Thanks for he thoughts and replies. I am going towards a 6 foot finish mower 3 point mount. I hooked up my little swisher and did a cut over the weekend. Never felt it behind the tractor. Yes it has its own motor and it is smaller than what I will use but I can go slow and 2 of the 6 foot mowers I found over lap 1-2 inches for a cleaner cut. The ease of a 3 point seems to be the biggest selling point for me. I still have a wash I will have to use the bush hog on but the rest of the area will be a finis cut eventually. Looking like this Fall I will be planting a new field so I have some time.