"Minimum" tractor for grading (cut and fill)

12Bravo

New member
Oct 6, 2017
12
0
0
Graniteville
The range of tractors that I'm looking at for my new 5 acre property (Closing 21NOV, moving from GA 04DEC) in Colorado Springs is B2301 up to L2501 (and everything in between).

One of the initial tasks over the next year is to grade the lot. There are considerable berms and dips where an old driveway was removed. There is a reasonable amount earthwork to do...

I'm active duty, so getting a weekend \ week of uninterrupted work out of rental (and I have nothing to tow with), might be a challenge. Point being, I'd like to have a crack at it with this tractor purchase.

The normal functions of the machine will be driveway \ road grading (I'll be on a dead end of a dirt road), snow removal of the same, and mowing. I realize that weight is important for these tasks (well, not mowing).

On the very low end, I'm sure the B2301 would be ok for box blade light driveway\road work, as well as snow removal with the FEL and blade on the back. However, I'm concerned that any B series isn't going to be heavy enough for some true box blade digging (cutting down 12"-18" berms here and there and spreading the dirt around).

I assume that the L2501 would have enough in the ass to move it around. That's the way I'm leaning.

Also realize, the only "seat time" I've ever had has been 2-3 minutes on a cold machine at the local dealer....

Need to have a direction before Mr. Barlow gets around to calling me.

Thanks!
 

85Hokie

Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
11,143
3,089
113
Bedford - VA
Quick and easy .....if you can swing the L series .....get it!!!!

The cost when buying a machine is usually the prohibiting factor, if the $$ are there, buy the most HP you can, and in your case - the heaviest too;):)
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Well-known member

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
15,954
5,678
113
SW Pa
He is telling you true,,get as much tractor as you can afford,, and when your all done doing what you need to do say in 20 or 30 years, you can sell it and get something smaller for grass and such silly things.
And thank you for your service
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

MtnViewRanch

Well-known member
Oct 10, 2012
916
380
63
Lakeside Ca.
Sounds like you are a weekender and not every weekend at that. While all of these smaller tractors will get the job done, it just takes much longer.

While it would be nice to learn on a B or even a smaller L series and may be the best way to go if $$$$ is no problem, I think that in the long hall you will be much better off getting an L4701 to start with and move up from there if needed.

Being a weekender myself, I don't have time to go out and play at getting things done, they need to get done as quickly as possible and is why I have bigger equipment.

The bigger stuff looks intimidating when your new at this, but get it out to your property and use it for a bit and it's amazing at how fast it shrinks.

Good luck.

PS, getting good heavy implements is all part of being able to get the job done in a timely manner also. ;)
 

12Bravo

New member
Oct 6, 2017
12
0
0
Graniteville
Interesting points all, and thank you.

All quite similar takes as well - in fact ones I hadn't really thought of (and driven home by MtnViewRanch).

A 4701? Cripes... I started my research 4 weeks ago at Home Depot riding mowers. How did I get here??!! LoL

I'm a Soldier - money is most definitely a factor (well, not really the money, the resulting divorce :D ). I've been adding a backhoe to every build. Can I fully justify it in my mind? Well.... honestly? Not really. It's Colorado. I'm not digging out stumps, digging ditches, laying water line, etc. But folks seem to feel like it's a game changer. Could I rent a truck, rent a BH, and be ahead? Possibly? I honestly have no idea. Save the $7k for a bigger machine? Gah... Hadn't honestly thought of that. I've been a little worried a smaller machine wouldn't have the ass to grade and I'd have to backhoe some berms down.....

A 4701? With generally minimum build, I could swing it. Not including the rear snow blade and box blade (I like EA), I'd have to be right at $37-38K MSRP out the door. Which is assuming a DEEP 15% discount, 10% down, and 72 months financing (not to air all my finances........). It also assumes Brady will sell me a trailer cheap to drag behind a uhaul as I drive across 'Murica to save shipping. That's pegging the SWMBO divorce meter!

I think mowing the front yard with a 4700 would be _tough_ on the yard?

I thought I was doing well keeping my possibilities down to the BX line, the B line, and the L2501. This thread didn't help at all! (Joking of course...)

Maybe I'm NOT ready for Brady to call...

Respectfully,
- John
 

Mike.O

Member

Equipment
B2650
Mar 28, 2017
109
0
16
CT
Bought my tractor from Barlow's, B2650. What a deal he was able to do.

Very happy with the deal. It was WAAAYYYY cheaper than local, including delivery. Highly recommend.
 

Tunaslayer

New member

Equipment
L2501 TLB, Wheelhorse 417-8/414-8


My vote is for L2501 if you have some dirt to move. Very powerful with a box blade, perfect size tractor for a BH77, and very easy to work on. Good resale as well configured as a TLB. One piece of experience I can give you is that this machine with loaded rear tires does a number on your lawn. (Closing in on 5000 lbs) One or two trips is not bad, but most projects lead to a workflow resulting in more trips and compaction. I honestly will be looking to downsize once the major work is done. The B2601 is a really nice size machine as a compromise.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Sapper50

Member

Equipment
L6060, FEL with 4-1 bucket, Top and Tilt, Single tooth ripper, box blade, etc
Oct 10, 2017
32
3
8
Ben Wheeler, Texas
Who told me “P for plenty”?
[emoji41]
If you’re doing dirt, get enough to get it done and then bump up one.
I started at the 4701 and ended up with the L6060
Are you in the middle of a PCS or ETS?
I just went through this whole pick thing, thank goodness it is mostly for establishing horse pasture just east of Fort Lewis, so the wife is 100% on board.

(USA Retired 12B, light-fighter, jumpmaster)
Scott


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

12Bravo

New member
Oct 6, 2017
12
0
0
Graniteville
haha - good point! However, in my case, it's "P for payment!"

Barlow Equipment prices might get me into a L3301, but I think (and given many of TunaSlayer's posts - as the resident L2501 expert), I'm going to stick with the L2501, the EA 66" Extreme Duty box blade, some RimGuard in the R4s and call it good. If I can't do meaningful dirt work, I've got a few 15 lb shape charges in my garage to speed things up.

I do way too much internet research. I'm worried, once the hard work is done in a year or two, the L3301 won't like the light duty work and have DPF issues.

I'm PCSing (maybe for the last time?) with retirement in 5 years. I'm buying this property in hopes it'll last till I'm dead.

(USA dirty leg \ wire finder \ pressure plate digger upper)
- John

Here's health, and here's how, and here's luck.
And here's to the Castles of Silver we wear.
And "the Eagle that looks like a Duck."
 

PaulL

Well-known member

Equipment
B2601, MX5200.
Jul 17, 2017
2,804
1,793
113
NZ
You can do it with a B, an LX, and an L. You size the box blade to suit.

Mowing is actually the interesting task to me. How much mowing, and do you want a MMM? If yes, then B or LX. If you are planning a rotary cutter or rear finish mower, then the L is the right machine. Do you want a cab? L doesn't come with cab.

For dirt work, the L2502 (new) or L2501 (used) is plenty. The extra HP doesn't really turn into extra work done, as these machines are normally traction limited - if the L2501 can spin the wheels, the L3301 will just spin them faster, it won't move more dirt.

I have an MX, which is a great machine. I'd get that before I went to L4701. But that's a lot of your money I'm spending then.

For a first machine, I'd get a used one. In your first couple of years you do lots of dumb stuff that bends, breaks or scratches it. Better to do that to a used one, then once you've made your errors, sell it for most of what you paid, and buy a shiny machine as your keeper.

I wouldn't get a backhoe. I have a small Takeuchi mini-ex - 216 (1.6T). It does way more than a BH on your machine, and a fairly well used one can be had for not too much money. Not a lot more than adding a BH to your tractor. You don't actually list any jobs that need a BH, much better putting that money into a bigger machine. The bigger machines you can add a BH later if you find a use for one.

For context, our property has a berm that is a bit shorter than me, 4m wide (12 foot), and 50m long (150 foot), behind the shed. Now the hedge is up obscuring the shed, I'm allowed to take the berm away. I've been moving it with the Takeuchi, the MX, and a hydraulic tipping trailer. 9 minutes a trailer load. I moved about 15m in 5 hours. I'll get there. A box blade isn't the right tool to move a berm like that. But if your berm is smaller, then yeah, a box blade will do it. IMG_5138.jpg
 
Last edited:

MapleLeafFarmer

Well-known member

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
1,199
1,189
113
E.
And seriously given what we see on used pricing over the last ten years or so, if you buy a good quality orange tractor and keep it in really good shape, in five years with say five hundred hours on it, you might be able to sell it for pretty darn, close to or more than you paid for it. Inflation and tariffs has just been brutal on the used market. I would look at getting one of the most popular machines out there you can find so it becomes easy to sell at a really good price If you want or have to.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

Shawn T. W

Well-known member

Equipment
'05 L5030 HSTC - '21 MF GC 1725 MB - '18 JD Z960M Z-Trak
Dec 9, 2024
834
1,509
93
SW Missouri Ozarks
Of those choices ... I'd say the L ... My only concern with any of the 25 HP machines is they lack a turbo ... So, let me ask at what elevation your new place is at ... Once you get up in, or above the 5,000' mark the natural aspirated engines really need a bit more help ...

While I have a tiny SCUT like a BX, it has, and can do an AMAZING amount of work ... It just takes more time, and the tiny tires are quite a bit more "rough riding" than the ones on my Grand L ...

While I love my BH, and am glad I got it ... For your proposed use on your property, I'd consider putting that money into more tractor and attachments!

For dirt grading work ... I think you will find what is commonly called a "top & tilt" ... it is a hydraulic top link, and hydraulic side link ... Which you will need two hydraulic rear remotes to run them ...

If you are financing ... You can generally roll the attachments you get at the time of purchase from the dealer into it ...
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
15,009
7,709
113
40 miles south of Kansas City
On 5 acres if you subtract out drive way, house, maybe another building how much tractor do you need to work the remaining ground? A picture of your landscape and idea of transformation of material would help to give idea of best machine/implements at least cost.
 

Russell King

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
8,007
3,149
113
Austin, Texas
Uhhhh

do you realize this is a zombie thread from 2017 that some “new member” dug up by commenting on it? The original poster hasn’t been seen here since late 2017.
 
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Shawn T. W

Well-known member

Equipment
'05 L5030 HSTC - '21 MF GC 1725 MB - '18 JD Z960M Z-Trak
Dec 9, 2024
834
1,509
93
SW Missouri Ozarks
Uhhhh

do you realize this is a zombie thread from 2017 that some “new member” dug up by commenting on it? The original poster hasn’t been seen here since late 2017.
Nope, didn't notice ... It was fun though! 😂

I wonder what the OP decided on though ... Lots of dead end threads with no ending ... Where is Paul Harvey with "The Rest of the Story"?
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Reactions: 2 users