"Minimum" tractor for grading (cut and fill)

12Bravo

Oct 6, 2017
Graniteville
The range of tractors that I'm looking at for my new 5 acre property (Closing 21NOV, moving from GA 04DEC) in Colorado Springs is B2301 up to L2501 (and everything in between).

One of the initial tasks over the next year is to grade the lot. There are considerable berms and dips where an old driveway was removed. There is a reasonable amount earthwork to do...

I'm active duty, so getting a weekend \ week of uninterrupted work out of rental (and I have nothing to tow with), might be a challenge. Point being, I'd like to have a crack at it with this tractor purchase.

The normal functions of the machine will be driveway \ road grading (I'll be on a dead end of a dirt road), snow removal of the same, and mowing. I realize that weight is important for these tasks (well, not mowing).

On the very low end, I'm sure the B2301 would be ok for box blade light driveway\road work, as well as snow removal with the FEL and blade on the back. However, I'm concerned that any B series isn't going to be heavy enough for some true box blade digging (cutting down 12"-18" berms here and there and spreading the dirt around).

I assume that the L2501 would have enough in the ass to move it around. That's the way I'm leaning.

Also realize, the only "seat time" I've ever had has been 2-3 minutes on a cold machine at the local dealer....

Need to have a direction before Mr. Barlow gets around to calling me.

Thanks!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Quick and easy .....if you can swing the L series .....get it!!!!

The cost when buying a machine is usually the prohibiting factor, if the $$ are there, buy the most HP you can, and in your case - the heaviest too;):)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
He is telling you true,,get as much tractor as you can afford,, and when your all done doing what you need to do say in 20 or 30 years, you can sell it and get something smaller for grass and such silly things.
And thank you for your service

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Sounds like you are a weekender and not every weekend at that. While all of these smaller tractors will get the job done, it just takes much longer.

While it would be nice to learn on a B or even a smaller L series and may be the best way to go if $$$$ is no problem, I think that in the long hall you will be much better off getting an L4701 to start with and move up from there if needed.

Being a weekender myself, I don't have time to go out and play at getting things done, they need to get done as quickly as possible and is why I have bigger equipment.

The bigger stuff looks intimidating when your new at this, but get it out to your property and use it for a bit and it's amazing at how fast it shrinks.

Good luck.

PS, getting good heavy implements is all part of being able to get the job done in a timely manner also. ;)

12Bravo

Oct 6, 2017
Graniteville
Interesting points all, and thank you.

All quite similar takes as well - in fact ones I hadn't really thought of (and driven home by MtnViewRanch).

A 4701? Cripes... I started my research 4 weeks ago at Home Depot riding mowers. How did I get here??!! LoL

I'm a Soldier - money is most definitely a factor (well, not really the money, the resulting divorce :D ). I've been adding a backhoe to every build. Can I fully justify it in my mind? Well.... honestly? Not really. It's Colorado. I'm not digging out stumps, digging ditches, laying water line, etc. But folks seem to feel like it's a game changer. Could I rent a truck, rent a BH, and be ahead? Possibly? I honestly have no idea. Save the $7k for a bigger machine? Gah... Hadn't honestly thought of that. I've been a little worried a smaller machine wouldn't have the ass to grade and I'd have to backhoe some berms down.....

A 4701? With generally minimum build, I could swing it. Not including the rear snow blade and box blade (I like EA), I'd have to be right at $37-38K MSRP out the door. Which is assuming a DEEP 15% discount, 10% down, and 72 months financing (not to air all my finances........). It also assumes Brady will sell me a trailer cheap to drag behind a uhaul as I drive across 'Murica to save shipping. That's pegging the SWMBO divorce meter!

I think mowing the front yard with a 4700 would be _tough_ on the yard?

I thought I was doing well keeping my possibilities down to the BX line, the B line, and the L2501. This thread didn't help at all! (Joking of course...)

Maybe I'm NOT ready for Brady to call...

Respectfully,
- John

Mike.O

Equipment
B2650
Mar 28, 2017
CT
Bought my tractor from Barlow's, B2650. What a deal he was able to do.

Very happy with the deal. It was WAAAYYYY cheaper than local, including delivery. Highly recommend.

Tunaslayer

Equipment
L2501 TLB, Wheelhorse 417-8/414-8

My vote is for L2501 if you have some dirt to move. Very powerful with a box blade, perfect size tractor for a BH77, and very easy to work on. Good resale as well configured as a TLB. One piece of experience I can give you is that this machine with loaded rear tires does a number on your lawn. (Closing in on 5000 lbs) One or two trips is not bad, but most projects lead to a workflow resulting in more trips and compaction. I honestly will be looking to downsize once the major work is done. The B2601 is a really nice size machine as a compromise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sapper50

Equipment
L6060, FEL with 4-1 bucket, Top and Tilt, Single tooth ripper, box blade, etc
Oct 10, 2017
Graham, Washington USA
Who told me “P for plenty”?
[emoji41]
If you’re doing dirt, get enough to get it done and then bump up one.
I started at the 4701 and ended up with the L6060
Are you in the middle of a PCS or ETS?
I just went through this whole pick thing, thank goodness it is mostly for establishing horse pasture just east of Fort Lewis, so the wife is 100% on board.

(USA Retired 12B, light-fighter, jumpmaster)
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12Bravo

Oct 6, 2017
Graniteville
haha - good point! However, in my case, it's "P for payment!"

Barlow Equipment prices might get me into a L3301, but I think (and given many of TunaSlayer's posts - as the resident L2501 expert), I'm going to stick with the L2501, the EA 66" Extreme Duty box blade, some RimGuard in the R4s and call it good. If I can't do meaningful dirt work, I've got a few 15 lb shape charges in my garage to speed things up.

I do way too much internet research. I'm worried, once the hard work is done in a year or two, the L3301 won't like the light duty work and have DPF issues.

I'm PCSing (maybe for the last time?) with retirement in 5 years. I'm buying this property in hopes it'll last till I'm dead.

(USA dirty leg \ wire finder \ pressure plate digger upper)
- John

Here's health, and here's how, and here's luck.
And here's to the Castles of Silver we wear.
And "the Eagle that looks like a Duck."