Minimum number of letters for search

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Is it possible to switch this feature so we can search words with 3 letters? I'd like to search for topics using "L35" but it is too short. I run a site using vbulletin and the option to change it is in the vbulletin options > message searching options.

Thanks!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Is it possible to switch this feature so we can search words with 3 letters? I'd like to search for topics using "L35" but it is too short. I run a site using vbulletin and the option to change it is in the vbulletin options > message searching options.

Thanks!

I have run across this too.....always had to ADD kubota first!:)

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Unfortunately I dont think that is an option even a Admin can set. 4 letters is minimum in the bulletin board engine.

Best way around it is use Google or Bing? Advanced. Have had the same issue in a Unimog forum for over a decade. Similar numeration with them. 411 404 416, 406 SBU MBU and so on and so on.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Unfortunately I dont think that is an option even a Admin can set. 4 letters is minimum in the bulletin board engine.

Best way around it is use Google or Bing? Advanced. Have had the same issue in a Unimog forum for over a decade. Similar numeration with them. 411 404 416, 406 SBU MBU and so on and so on.
It is dependent on the language used and the way the program is set up. On this site, like most others, you can not do a search for three letters example: "abc". If you try to search for something with spaces, example " abc " it interprets it as two wild cards, "*abc*" or the program simply will not recognize it. If the language allows and the programming allows for it you can search for 3 letters and before and after spaces. This gives you a 5 character string to search for.