Middle Buster

Sharryn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
'15 B3350, LA534A Loader, Land Pride RTA1258 Tiller, BH77 Backhoe, Forks
Aug 31, 2015
Alexandria, PA USA
Just wondering from anyone experienced with using a middle buster.

Are they as good as they show on YouTube?

I have drainage issues on my property and also thought it would be good to plow up the garden and then use the tiller afterward. What particular manufacturer do you recommend? Seems there's several different makers with a lot of different ratings. I like equipment that is fairly inexpensive with multiple uses and this seems to fit the bill.

Any info would be appreciated. :D

bh115577

Equipment
2004 BX 2200, FEL, 60" MMM
Mar 5, 2015
Central NY
I got one from TSC for around $140. I've ripped the garden a few times with it so far and it does a decent job. The tractor you have should pull one a lot better than mine does. I had to go 4" or 5" at a time until I got through all the roots and clay. I just ripped it again the other night and can now almost bottom it out without spinning the turf tires much.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Just wondering from anyone experienced with using a middle buster.

Are they as good as they show on YouTube?

I have drainage issues on my property and also thought it would be good to plow up the garden and then use the tiller afterward. What particular manufacturer do you recommend? Seems there's several different makers with a lot of different ratings. I like equipment that is fairly inexpensive with multiple uses and this seems to fit the bill.

Any info would be appreciated. :D

if you have a tractor supply around, the $149 is a fair deal on the "middle buster" -

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-middle-buster?cm_vc=-10005

looking at the sub soiler -

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-subsoiler?cm_vc=IOPDP1

they are the same "base pieces" -

the sub soiler would be better to run through roots and what not the first time and then the middle buster will take over from there.....

I would buy the middle buster and make the plate to fit the sub soiler !:D:) AND have the two for one !

the arm length is the only difference !

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I borrowed one fro a friend and ran it on my BX down through the orchard. The water would just drain to the low spots and drowned the trees. This ridge top is pretty much yellow clay and sand rock so it took several passes going deeper each time , only because I have a LITTLE TRACTOR. So yeah they do work but your beast will do it a lot easier than mine.

veemaxx

Equipment
B3300
Jun 13, 2013
Raymond, ne, usa
I just bought a TSC CountryLine middlebuster, the yellow one, two weeks ago. I have a rototiller but wanted something to bring up the rocks in some virgin soil before I use it. My tractor is the same size as yours I believe and it had no problem pulling it through even dry hard clay. I do have loaded R4's and I did snap a shear bolt on a basketball sized rock but never had to use 4 wheel drive. I used a 15 percent off coupon I got in the mail:) Be sure and get a couple of cheap bolts for the top link.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
If you are gonna buy one, buy the kit. By that I mean, get middle buster, subsoiler, and pipe laying kit, Its a 3-fer. The middle buster to loosen soil, dig taters, lay off rows, the subsoiler (which bolts to the same 2 bolts that the middle buster bolts on to), for deeper penetration and soil loosening, and the pipe laying kit, which you can use with the subsoiler, to bury pipe or electric wires, underground...:D:D

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
I bought and used the TSC middlebuster for $150 and think its a great tool. Didn't know about that kit. Dang.

Oh, and I used it behind my little Yanmar 1401 2wd which pulled easily in low range thru some hard clay. The middlebuster did great but larger roots took hitting from two directions to bust up. Followed up with a CountyLine rake to corral them.

Last edited:

Sharryn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
'15 B3350, LA534A Loader, Land Pride RTA1258 Tiller, BH77 Backhoe, Forks
Aug 31, 2015
Alexandria, PA USA
I checked my Tractor Supply and they have one in stock. I'm waiting for another coupon before I buy it though. This one looks like it's been sitting around for a while and has some rust on it. I asked the clerk if they'd knock a few bucks off of it because I'd have to repaint it. They said that they would! Now to find some Kubota orange paint! Can't wait to get that coupon :D

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I checked my Tractor Supply and they have one in stock. I'm waiting for another coupon before I buy it though. This one looks like it's been sitting around for a while and has some rust on it. I asked the clerk if they'd knock a few bucks off of it because I'd have to repaint it. They said that they would! Now to find some Kubota orange paint! Can't wait to get that coupon :D
Just be aware; they may say they will either let you use the coupon or knock some off.... but not both. Often coupons say in the fine print that they are savings from "original price" or something like "discounts can not be combined". Can't blame them; businesses are in place to make income for many up and down the line so it's pretty standard to not give a special discount on top an already discounted item.

GaltsGulch

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800, BX2380, and BX23S
Apr 14, 2015
Ranger, Ga
I have the TSC sub soiler for my L3800 and I can pull it through my rocky soil to full depth in usually 2 passes. I found and old plow head that has the same bolt pattern as the sub soiler head and it makes a great middle buster. The the sub soiler and middle buster from TSC are almost identical except the sub soiler has a loner arm on it allowing it to run deeper if needed. I use the sub soiler mainly as a trencher for running drain pipe, water pipe, and electrical conduit.