Mice in Cab roof

Buddys Road

Equipment
L3540
Jun 5, 2023
PEI
Arrg!!! I had mice get in to between the headliner and the outer cover of my L3540 tractor.
Anyone have experience with this and ideas how to keep them out?? There is minor damage to the speaker wires and some of the foam chewed away. The original issue was a bad smell that convinced me to remove the top. Along with nesting material there was about 2 quarts of corn (from nearby fields), looks like they were moving in for the long haul!!! Trapping them is one thing but I want to try block their access to the top.

Reactions: 1 user

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Enclosed garage with a cat!
It's tough, doggone things get in everywhere.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Spring traps baited with peanut butter; and rat zappers baited with peanut butter. This will be a forever thing.

May try coyote urine on the tires. Another forever thing. You don't have to catch a coyote, you can buy a bottle of the urine.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I've heard peppermint oil keeps them away.... maybe you can get a deal on candy canes this week ,toss inside the headliner ?

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I keep Tomcat bait stations in my barn where my machine is stored.

Reactions: 6 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I keep Tomcat bait stations in my barn where my machine is stored.
In another thread some were explaining different active ingredients in pesticides. (You may have been part of the conversation).

What does Tomcat use?

I’ve used Tomcat before, but been a long while.

wp6529

Equipment
B7100DT
Oct 31, 2023
TX
I have and love cats, so I'm careful with poisons but I do use mouse/rat baits. I use the anticoagulant ones and I keep vitamin K emulsion drops (antidote) on hand in case any cat appears like they may have munched a poison critter.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I”ve used TomKat and had good success with it… (edit:removed incorrect warfarin reference)
The only poor experience I’ve had with it….(and I’ve had dogs/cats with no problems)…. was one night I found a “sleepy” or “sick” porcupine in my hangar…. He was elderly…or so I thought…. and moved him out into the yard gently with a shovel. Next day, he was deceased.
I later thought perhaps he’d gotten into the TomKat I had scattered in the corners of my hangar/metal bldg. The product warns to use it only inside their plastic box-traps…but I toss it into the corners, behind workbenches, under refrigerators, etc etc. I’m thinking he may have gotten into one.

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Went
In another thread some were explaining different active ingredients in pesticides. (You may have been part of the conversation).

What does Tomcat use?

Two different formulations are available. I use the warfarin type because it’s less dangerous to other animals.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I have and love cats, so I'm careful with poisons but I do use mouse/rat baits. I use the anticoagulant ones and I keep vitamin K emulsion drops (antidote) on hand in case any cat appears like they may have munched a poison critter.
I’m doubtful that there would be enough secondary warfarin in a small mouse to adversely affect a cat.

wp6529

Equipment
B7100DT
Oct 31, 2023
TX
I’m doubtful that there would be enough secondary warfarin in a small mouse to adversely affect a cat.
You would think, but one time I did have a cat that appeared to be feeling off and not eating a couple days after I had put bait out in a closed feed shed. I gave it a squirt of the K and it was fine later that day. Not conclusive, but better safe than sorry.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
IMG_3063.jpeg

What does Tomcat use?

Tomcat is what I use too. Just got a bucket today, I use the pellets in a paper package.

Appt it is one of the nastyer ones. Here’s an image of the active ingredient and a warning.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
View attachment 120292
Tomcat is what I use too. Just got a bucket today, I use the pellets in a paper package.

Appt it is one of the nastyer ones. Here’s an image of the active ingredient and a warning.
Yeah, I use the warfarin formulation, not that one. That one is a lot more toxic.

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I use "Final" by Bell Labs in my garage, and I have eliminated the mouse population. It took me 2 years to finally rid myself of mice in the garage. Constant feeding of the product eliminates the problem. I use bait boxes at the perimeter of the yard to keep from attracting them to the building and they are placed along the walls of the garage. I bought it on Amazon, and my first bucket of 18 pounds still has more than half of it left. I learned about the product from an exterminator. https://www.belllabs.com/

As for porcupines eating mouse poison, I haven't found that to be an issue. We have porcupines on the property from early spring to late fall, and the only thing that eliminates them is to give them lead poisoning. I never realized how destructive they are. I learned from a logger that if you leave the log truck in the same place for a few days they will start to eat the tires. They also chew the bark off of trees trying to get to the insects under the bark. The only good thing that you can say about porcupines is they eat the ticks in the lawn. Unfortunately, there are more ticks in the lawn than they consume in one night.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Yeah, I use the warfarin formulation, not that one. That one is a lot more toxic.
I’ll need to do more research then. Because up to now I “thought” I was using the anticoagulant version. Which is what I’d prefer. I didn’t realize there’s two formulations of the same product. Thanks for cluing me into that.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I’ll need to do more research then. Because up to now I “thought” I was using the anticoagulant version. Which is what I’d prefer. I didn’t realize there’s two formulations of the same product. Thanks for cluing me into that.
I almost bought that formulation one time. Then I read about the toxicity of the product and decided against it.

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
This was my job today. Went out on a call for a little New Holland that didn't start. None of the gauges worked. Opened the dash and this is what I found. As I was cleaning a nice big squirrel ran out.

Attachments

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Fresh Cab pouches put up in the roof space and possibly a couple other places in the cab will help. It doesn’t last forever but can many times be enough to keep them from coming back.