Making wood pellets

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK now i have another question,, well you started it,,,lol,, OK when the pellets come out I know they are hot and hence the moisture would be driven off. If say they went into a rotating wire drum with a fan blowing over them and as they would pass in to the container wouldnt that dry them out? Yeah Iknow more shyt in the game but I asking:confused:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Tumbling while hot/damp will break them apart,they just crumble. A little moisture is ok, i dump into trays to cool and then on my home made conveyor,as they go into storage a fan blows sawdust away as they fall through the wind.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Frank - -

My interest is several fold - forester, burned wood forever, burned pellets last 10 years, and figured there's room to make or save money with wood pellets.

25 years ago, burned 1,000 gallons of fuel oil, and 10-12 FACE Cords of firewood a year.

10 years ago - pellet stove went in when I got my pre-buy oil bill of $4,200.

Fuel company topped off my tank from the our use over the last year.

Burned 19.9 gallons since last fall!! Winter before was 14.4 gallons!! For anybody in my neck of the woods, both winters were COLD!!

The 35 gallons of oil I burned in 2 years would have lasted 1 week before I converted to pellet heat!!

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Frank - -

My interest is several fold - forester, burned wood forever, burned pellets last 10 years, and figured there's room to make or save money with wood pellets.

25 years ago, burned 1,000 gallons of fuel oil, and 10-12 FACE Cords of firewood a year.

10 years ago - pellet stove went in when I got my pre-buy oil bill of $4,200.

Fuel company topped off my tank from the our use over the last year.

Burned 19.9 gallons since last fall!! Winter before was 14.4 gallons!! For anybody in my neck of the woods, both winters were COLD!!

The 35 gallons of oil I burned in 2 years would have lasted 1 week before I converted to pellet heat!!
I have a wood insert. Only need about three chord a year. Electric bill usually ran around $200 a month from December to march. When the insert was installed the electric dropped to $65 the next month :D I love that wood heat :D:D

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
I've got an hs Tarm solo innova wood boiler. Haven't spent a dime (save saw and splitter gas money) on heating the house or water for a couple years now. It definitely takes some time and energy to get that heat, but if rather work at home than put in more hours at work so I can afford other sources of heat.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I have a wood insert. Only need about three chord a year. Electric bill usually ran around $200 a month from December to march. When the insert was installed the electric dropped to $65 the next month :D I love that wood heat :D:D
That's great!

I never thought I'd pull my wood stove out.

Pisser for me was I was burning a lot of wood, and still burning oil big time. :confused:

A "normal" winter day here takes about 5 gallons of oil, if the boiler is the only heat. At $4/gallon a few years ago.......you get the idea.

I think in February this year, we were below Zero 10 or 15 days!! Seems like the local weather guy said our average temp for the month was 8 degrees!! That's f#ckin' COLD!!

The cold is a great cottonmouth repellent!:p:p

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Our electric bill is budgeted over the year. September bill came and was a 260 dollar credit. So i burned pellets in shop,where i worked every day and kept shop 70 degrees. I installed thermostat on pellet stove in house and adjusted stove to run hot. So instead of one bag/i went to 3 or 4 a week.

Moral of story- dialed down pellet stove is way less efficient. Running mine cranked up was About 2-1/2 tons between house and shop.

There is some hard facts about cost and efficiency of pellet stoves.
If i was to reccomend one, it would be a multi-fuel stove. Wheat, corn, beans wood pellets.

Guess tomorrow i will be running what i have,wet or really wet. Just going to cool them and run again. Running out of time and need to move out of my storage building.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
That's great!

I never thought I'd pull my wood stove out.

Pisser for me was I was burning a lot of wood, and still burning oil big time. :confused:

A "normal" winter day here takes about 5 gallons of oil, if the boiler is the only heat. At $4/gallon a few years ago.......you get the idea.

I think in February this year, we were below Zero 10 or 15 days!! Seems like the local weather guy said our average temp for the month was 8 degrees!! That's f#ckin' COLD!!

The cold is a great cottonmouth repellent!:p:p
The only thing I can think of with burning wood and oil, is something was causing a negative draft in the house.

We had that here till we got the fireplace insert. Before that, if we started a fire, it would suck the heat out of the other rooms and the furnace would stay running constantly. Furnace would lose ground till it kicked in the heat strips.

We were actually looking at a pellet stove insert. But one of our neighbors offered us the wood burning insert for free :D Stove is twenty years old, but was only used 3 times before we got it. Past two years it gets fired up around the end of october, and goes through till March :D

Insert has a built in blower as well. We can actually fill the fire box with dry ice in the summer and use it as a red neck air conditioner :cool:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The only thing I can think of with burning wood and oil, is something was causing a negative draft in the house.
Daren - actually the boiler is in the cellar, and the woodstove was first floor. Pellet stove is in the same spot where the woodstove was. No draft issues - they are on separate chimneys, too.

It was more an issue of operation. To get a stove to run between loads, it had to be run kinda slow. Just couldn't carry my time at work or long cold nights. If I could feed the stove often, no problem. The woodstove heated the house every weekend, when I didn't have work.

We had lows last winter at -20 or lower. Makes it tough, even with a thermostatically controlled pellet stove at 50k BTU - that's where the 20 gallons of fuel oil use come in.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
If i was to reccomend one, it would be a multi-fuel stove. Wheat, corn, beans wood pellets...
Okay, noted. However, if you had a multi-fuel stove, wouldn't you have the same problem you are wrestling with: the pellets are just too wet?

Or put another way: don't multi-fuel stoves have the same threshold requirements your stove has? Or does their "ambidextrousness" include a tolerance for mush?

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Built the house new and built it in. I've just always known wood heat and it seemed like the only choice. In my previous house I was burning several thousand $ worth of propane a year, but it was also poorly insulated. But hey, I get the wood for free and I like being able to be self sufficient, so it only seemed logical.
I do have a propane backup, but I basically only use that when I'm going to be away from the house for long periods and can't make fires.
My dad and older brother have similar systems (just an older boiler, installed long before mine) and we couldn't be happier with all of them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Daren - actually the boiler is in the cellar, and the woodstove was first floor. Pellet stove is in the same spot where the woodstove was. No draft issues - they are on separate chimneys, too.

It was more an issue of operation. To get a stove to run between loads, it had to be run kinda slow. Just couldn't carry my time at work or long cold nights. If I could feed the stove often, no problem. The woodstove heated the house every weekend, when I didn't have work.

We had lows last winter at -20 or lower. Makes it tough, even with a thermostatically controlled pellet stove at 50k BTU - that's where the 20 gallons of fuel oil use come in.
It's not so much a draft issue your having, I believe you have make up air problem. You have multiple things burning up the air in your home, its creates a negative air pressure within your home. The negative pressure turns your house vacuum drawing cold air through every nook and cranny of the shell causing the an air temperature drop. Most common place air will draw from is the seals within windows (you'll see condensation building up on the glass near where the sashes meet). It can also mess with the fuel/air mixture on a oil/gas appliance which you guys know can make it burn inefficiently. Kitchen vents and bathroom vents also contribute to the problem.

Best solution is to bring in fresh air. The problem is that the fresh air will be sub zero so it needs to be heated. That's where you have to become creative. A small fresh air duct with a biometric damper close to the wood stove would help dramatically.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
The idea behind a multi fuel stove would allow the biomass to vary. Corn,wheat and several other crops are harvested when dry, and wheat can sometimes be found cheap or free due to fusarium which makes it worthless to farmers.

The price of the stoves is quite high, so i keep my eyes open for a good deal.
First one was 700 used. Works very well and holds 100 lbs of pellets.

Second one was given to me, very old and well kept. Heats the shop.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
image.jpg

So, ran some through to cook off some moisture,6 hours and maybe $6.00 in fuel. I would be golden if it was pelleting first run. Guessing its over 1000 lbs.
may also use a smaller screen in hammer mill next test run.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Im using a gehl grind-all. Spooled that puppy up and i think it does a great job. The chunks may need to be smaller, so i will try next screen down. I have 4 screens,next one down is smallest.
My moisture tester is reading 23 percent moisture.

Rolling this through my head, i have a 15' pipe,12" diameter.
A bearing support on one end and rollers supporting top end. 15 degree slope and (regretting this part) my propane tiger torch heating pipe two or three feet from high end. May need to go lower depending how hot it gets. Slope will determine how fast wet chips pass through pipe.

As im writing this, i realize a friend has a wild rice processing plant, now defunct. Perhaps i should chat with him about drying my biomass.
Maybe he wants to part with some equipment.

Will keep you posted.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Frank this just keeps getting more interesting as you go along,, thanks for starting this thread :D . Just shows what a man can do when he puts his mind to it