M9000 Radiator Puncture and fan breakage

sstrac

Equipment
M9000 Tractor, JBar 7' Rotary Cutter
Jun 3, 2015
berryville, ar US
I was pushing some brush into a pile and apparently there was a small tree trunk (1.5" diameter) still attached to the ground. When I backed up I heard an noise and turned the tractor off immediately. The stick up must have been at just the right angle and got up under the tractor and went into the fan, braking off all of the blades and then puncturing the radiator. I saw coolant streaming out and into the ground. I called my local Kubota dealer and they said the radiator would have to be replaced, it was plastic and could not be repaired. My question is if this is something that I could order online and pull and replace myself or should this be a dealer service item. My initial review looks like quite a process, so I'm torn. Looks like I can buy and aftermarket radiator on line for around $500usd. Suggestions? Any estimates on the dealer costs for such a repair? Is it truly a replace scenario? Thoughts.

Last edited:

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Pull your fan and radiator, take radiator to repair shop, get price for repair, look at that verses new radiator, order fan and radiator or fan and radiator repair.

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
If it's a plastic and aluminum radiator, your money ahead to just replace it. If it was copper, then most definitely have it recored and repaired.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Requires replacing it, that radiator is unrepairable.
It doesn't appear to be too complicated to replace it, if you have some mechanical skill and some time it will save you quite a bit of money. ;)

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
NIH is correct. Those "plastic" tank radiators aren't repairable if the tank is broken. SOMETIMES with cars, the radiator shops can source a new tank and replace it but to my knowledge, nobody makes replacement tanks for Kubota's. If it broke the aluminum, it MIGHT could be repaired-but not likely. If that were the case, take it out and take it to a radiator shop and get an estimate. A GOOD radiator shop. There are some that won't even touch it, some won't even consider it, but there's some that will have a look and give you an idea what they can and can't do. Those are the ones who have been around for a while usually.

It ain't real hard to get it out, but there's some stuff in the way. CAC pipes, etc.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Depends on the radiator and the core connection, in many cases they can zip a new core onto the original tanks, if they have them, that's why it's worth asking the question at a shop, just in case, as it may be a lot cheaper than a new one. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. YMMV

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Depends on the radiator and the core connection, in many cases they can zip a new core onto the original tanks, if they have them, that's why it's worth asking the question at a shop, just in case, as it may be a lot cheaper than a new one. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. YMMV
That might just be an OZ thing, as here in the US I've yet to find a shop that will work on a plastic tanked radiator, all that I've dealt with, tell you to go buy a new radiator. :(

sstrac

Equipment
Jun 3, 2015
berryville, ar US
Thanks to all respondents for the information and the encouragement. It wasn't easy but I got it out. Rounded off a large bracket mounting bolt head and had to get it out the hard way. Got a fan blade ordered from eBay a few minutes ago and now researching prices for a new radiator. I'll post a final update soon as I have the project complete. I'm a long way from any kind of radiator repair shop and need the tractor up and running as soon as possible so I'm opting for a new one. Thanks again for all of the information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sstrac

Equipment
Jun 3, 2015
berryville, ar US
Final Update (I hope). Ordered a new replacement radiator new from All States AG Parts and they had it to me in two days with only $12 shipping. It was the cheapest one I could find. It was $484. It fit great. Much harder to get back in than it was to get out. The blade was about a hundred dollars. Once all back in and hooked up I read about Final Charge antifreeze from peak and decided to go with that. Flushed out the green cause the FC was pink. Says it mixes with other antifreeze but didn't want to take a chance. All filled and tested. Ran the tractor a couple of days and no issues. Thanks to all respondents for the information and the encouragement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk