M9000 engine shutting off

All_Diesel1

Jan 4, 2011
Missouri
Hi, im new to this forum. Im actually asking this for someone else. The tractor is an M9000 with between 2000-3000hrs, the tractor is shutting off on its own. The iol pressure light starts flickering on and when the light is fully on the tractor shuts off. Started doing this at 600-800rpm, now several weeks later its shutting off around 1400rpm. Usually does it worse when the engine is fully warm. Oil filter and oil are fairly fresh. Anyone else had this happen? Whats causing it to happen? Whats the fix? Thanks

All_Diesel1

Jan 4, 2011
Missouri
Thanks for the replies. Ok, where should the guage be pluged in at? If the low pressure sending unit is removed, can i hook in the manual guage there or will the engine not run w/o the sending unit?

All_Diesel1

Jan 4, 2011
Missouri
The fuel stays fresh, this tractor is used daily as a brush hogging tractor. The light still flickers before shutting down. The temp guage reads normal temps, but it does seem to act up worse at higher engine temps. The manual oil pressure guage they tested didnt seem to work, so they still havta test it again. Oil and filter have been changed reacently, I'll get back with more info shortly and post it up.

All_Diesel1

Jan 4, 2011
Missouri
Ok, the oil is supposed to be about 2 months ago. The engine shuts down like turning the key off. it starts normly after shutting down. Air filter is new, coolant is fresh. There had been a pack rat got engine compartment at one time also, so this might be part of the problem. Are there any other sensors that could be shutting it down? What exactly shuts down the fuel between the fuel shut off and the oil pressure sensor?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Knowing it had rats get on it I bet it has some bare spots in the wiring harness some where. Just about guarantee it. Those little monsters are some wire insulation eating fools.

All_Diesel1

Jan 4, 2011
Missouri
Knowing it had rats get on it I bet it has some bare spots in the wiring harness some where. Just about guarantee it. Those little monsters are some wire insulation eating fools.
Yea, i've even seen whole sections of wire missing on vehicles that have sat a long time, dang pack rats. What ever is shutting down the tractor has to do with the low oil pressure light. Are there any more sensors that inline with that light.

americarkid

Equipment
m8200 krone4500 nh617
Jan 12, 2011
sallisaw ok
mine had 4 screws missing out of the oil pump cover. havent got it back together to finalize diagnosis. but thats what i'm thinking.

All_Diesel1

Jan 4, 2011
Missouri
Just thought I'd give you guys an update. Figured out what the problem was, mechanic said the oil pump bolts or screws worked loose. Looks like the low oil pressure shut off was doin its job. There was'nt any harm done to the engine, glad it was caught in time and oil pressure looks good again. Thanks for the input.:)

Joe Hollas

Equipment
m9000
Sep 10, 2014
Cameron,TX
Just thought I'd give you guys an update. Figured out what the problem was, mechanic said the oil pump bolts or screws worked loose. Looks like the low oil pressure shut off was doin its job. There was'nt any harm done to the engine, glad it was caught in time and oil pressure looks good again. Thanks for the input.:)

How hard was it to get to the oil pump? I got the same problem Does the crank pulley have to come off? Any special tools?