M9000 DTC Vibration Right Rear

Lerch

Equipment
M9540 & M9000
Sep 7, 2016
Waynesville, MO, USA
I'm new to this forum and tried to search, but did not see the topic discussed. I bought a M9000 DTC (2300 hours) 9 months ago that appears to have a reoccurring, but intermittent, vibration in the right rear. Nothing is hooked up to this tractor when this happens. Dealer recommended I check tire pressure, check for tire irregularities (i.e. flat spots) and loose lugs. I did notice the rear tires (practically new) were slightly over inflated with a few psi difference between the right and left. I also notice it was slightly low on hydraulic fluid, which I top off. Correcting all of this appeared to minimize the vibration, but did not eliminate it. This past weekend, I purchased another M9000 DTC (2000 hours) and it has the exact same vibration in the right rear. Unfortunately the tire pressure was correct and consistent across the back two, and hydraulic fluid level was good. The only difference is all four tires are probably down to 25%. Any thoughts . . .

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
When do you notice it?

Hard pack, asphalt or does it do it all the time on any ground?

Reason I ask, my 9000 does it shakes around at certain speeds on hard pack or the road.

Change speeds or the ground condition and it goes away.

Mine is caused by the tires.

Mine are the long bar/short bar Titan brand. On hard ground they really suck but I love them everywhere else.

Lerch

Equipment
M9540 & M9000
Sep 7, 2016
Waynesville, MO, USA
Thanks for the reply. I notice it mostly on hard packed gravel roads/drives. Driving around fields or grass, I do not notice. Going to test a little more this evening with different speeds and surfaces. I will also double-check tire make and model.

What I have the hardest time getting my head around, is why is appears predominantly coming from the right rear side of both tractors?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I hope I'm not pointing toward something not related to your tractor.

Mine is worst at mid rpm in H1 or sometimes when going really slow in low range. Not that it's limited to those speeds but it's much worse than others.

Maybe that's all it is but keep us posted on what you find.

Lerch

Equipment
M9540 & M9000
Sep 7, 2016
Waynesville, MO, USA
It appears vibrations are directly related to hard surfaces and tire brand, even though when the vibration occurs it is noticeably coming from the right rear of both tractors. M9000 #1, newer tires (ATG/Alliance), minor vibrations on hard surfaces, but nothing when in the field. M9000 #2, old/worn tires (Titan), vibrations excessive in low range and low/mid RPMs, on hard/semi-hard surfaces. M9000 #2 (Titan) vibrations gets a little better in the high range and higher RPMs, in the field, but still slightly noticeable. While I'm still perplexed with the location (or my perceived location) of the vibrations being in the right rear of both of these M9000s, I feel a bit more comfortable that it is tire related vs a mechanical issue. Unless anyone else has any ideas ? ? ?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I know there has to be other M9000 owners out there, maybe they'll chime in later.

If it makes you feel better, both my 9000's did the same thing.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Sounds typical for tire tread vibration. I suggest to adjust throttle(engine rpm's) so as to limit vibration or install different brand tires.

Lerch

Equipment
M9540 & M9000
Sep 7, 2016
Waynesville, MO, USA
Thanks, while the Titan tires have a little bit of wear left, I'm going to go ahead and replace them anyway, in hopes that will resolve the issue. Thanks again . . .

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I've never seen any ag tire that has no vibration on hard pack. I would look at where you're going to spend your time, on the road or in the field. From what I've seen so far the Titans are hard to beat in the dirt.

Lerch

Equipment
M9540 & M9000
Sep 7, 2016
Waynesville, MO, USA
These vibrations just seemed excessive, as I spend as much time in the field as I do the paths/trails around the farm. While the paths are far from being a road, they are solid enough to be comparable. I'll see what happens with brand new tires. Thanks again . . .

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
are your vibration causing tractor tires radial or bias-ply? What air pressure do they have in them with how much load on 3 pt hitch?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Lerch, if you want the best ride put a set of radials on there. They cost more but the ride quality is way better than anything else on the market.

If you do go that way spend the extra money and get a good name brand, not some junk from china. The quarry I used to work for tried some off brand junk and it was a complete waste of money. They wore out twice as fast as Michelin's and cost nearly as much. We even had one set that the bead was the wrong size and the wheels would spin inside the tires. Keep us posted.

Lerch

Equipment
M9540 & M9000
Sep 7, 2016
Waynesville, MO, USA
I believe both tractors currently have bais tires, and completely understand the advantages and disadvantages of bais vs radial, and how it could relate directly to my situation. Both tractors have rear tires that are fluid filled @ 18 psi. I'm pretty sure the vibration is most noticeable without a load on the 3-point. It's just not very often you have two identical tractors you can test against each other. I'm a little surprised, no other comparable size tractors make much mention of this? If I do spend the money and get radials, my understanding that I would then have to also consider wheel weights in lieu of putting fluid back in?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
A friend of mine has 3 M9000's and one has the other tires size. He hates that tractor. I have never used it myself but he said it's nothing like the other two.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
What kind of rims and centers does the tractor have? Make sure the center is bolted to the rim so that it is even all the way around. I have seen them be bolted together such that they are a little crooked causing the run with a vibration. The other thing to check is if the tires are loaded, make sure they a close to being equal in the amount of fluid in them. If you use it for a lot of field work pulling tillage tools, radials are worth the money. They will make night and day difference how it pulls.

Lerch

Equipment
M9540 & M9000
Sep 7, 2016
Waynesville, MO, USA
I wanted to close the loop on this issue. I ended up putting new bais tires on the one tractor (worse vibrations) and that seem to resolve the issue. I did not splurge for the radials, as I have decided not to keep this tractor. As Bulldog mentions, I can still slightly notice it in mid-RPMs in H1 on both tractors, but only because I'm sensitive to it. I doubt the average user would even notice, as my dad and brother don't. Both higher and lower gears, no issue at all. I still do not completely understand, but am not concerned at this time. Thank you all for the time on this issue.