M8950dt wont start

tylergrant20112011

Equipment
Kabota M8950DT
Dec 9, 2018
Luverne, AL, US
My Kubota m8950 won't start. I was riding it yesterday and all of a sudden it just quit. So I made sure it had fuel in it. And when I open the fuel cap you can hear air rushing in the tank as if it had a vacuum on it. I'm assuming air might have got in my line. It will start if I spray ether in it but then just dies again. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Re: M8950dt won t start

First thing is stop spraying ether in it. You will have bigger issues. Sounds like the fuel tank isn’t venting.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Re: M8950dt won t start

If you used starting fluid on the engine, chances are pretty good you already screwed it up. Kubota engines don't like ether..at all. You check your fuel cutoff solenoid per chance?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Get the WSM (AKA service manual) it will walk you through bleeding and testing the fuel system.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
You need to determine why fuel tank isn't venting IE not allowing air to enter tank when fuel is removed. Do you have an operators manual? I would think M8950DT operators manual has fuel bleeding procedure similar to my M7040 operators manual. Filling fuel tank with fuel aids in the bleeding procedure.

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
It shut-off because the fuel tank vent was "clogged".. in other words, the tank NEEDS TO BREATH.. What happened was, it created a vacuum & couldn't draw fuel into the filters & inj. pump..
Topping off the fuel tank & following the bleeding instruction on several videos on-line will get you going.. MAKE SURE to leave the fuel cap loose.. & get a new one asap.
U shouldn't need any parts other than a cap.{unless u did damage w/ the "quick start?}. OR if u have an air compressor, blow out the fuel cap.
Good luck & lets us know how it worked out..

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You need to determine why fuel tank isn't venting IE not allowing air to enter tank when fuel is removed. Do you have an operators manual? I would think M8950DT operators manual has fuel bleeding procedure similar to my M7040 operators manual. Filling fuel tank with fuel aids in the bleeding procedure.
I forget the OPS manuals have that procedure too, and they are usually much easier and cheaper to get ahold of. ;)

tylergrant20112011

Equipment
Kabota M8950DT
Dec 9, 2018
Luverne, AL, US
I figured it wasn't venting properly. Does it vent through the fuel cap itself ? And also I managed to get fuel all the way to the injection pump but I can't get it past there. I need some info on where to buy the manuals at.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I figured it wasn't venting properly. Does it vent through the fuel cap itself ? And also I managed to get fuel all the way to the injection pump but I can't get it past there. I need some info on where to buy the manuals at.
It does look like it vents to the cap on that model:

Any local dealer can get manuals, if not messick's or Coleman Equipment online can get them for you.

Did you crack the lines at the injectors?

Last edited:

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
No doubt it has an electric shut off on or near the inj. pump..
You must have run across it while you we under the hood.??
MAKE SURE your getting power TO it & u can HEAR IT click..

Loosen the lines at the injectors & spin it over ONCE U HAVE THE SOL. WORKING.
If the shut off sol. isn't working, your beating a dead horse.. it'll never run.
They are a nitemare to bleed the air out of, just keep at it..
Once u get fuel squirting out the lines AT THE INJECTORS, tighten them up & off u go..
IF u cant hear or test the solenoid, just remove it.. so u can get it started..
THEN put it back on & diagnose the problem.. {fuse, relay}

tylergrant20112011

Equipment
Kabota M8950DT
Dec 9, 2018
Luverne, AL, US
No doubt it has an electric shut off on or near the inj. pump..
You must have run across it while you we under the hood.??
MAKE SURE your getting power TO it & u can HEAR IT click..

Loosen the lines at the injectors & spin it over ONCE U HAVE THE SOL. WORKING.
If the shut off sol. isn't working, your beating a dead horse.. it'll never run.
They are a nitemare to bleed the air out of, just keep at it..
Once u get fuel squirting out the lines AT THE INJECTORS, tighten them up & off u go..
IF u cant hear or test the solenoid, just remove it.. so u can get it started..
THEN put it back on & diagnose the problem.. {fuse, relay}
I seen the solenoid and it's on the bottom toward the back of the injector pump. How many volts should it be getting and also should it come on when I turn the key or crank it over. And what is the purpose of having this shutoff valve?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The solenoid stops the flow of fuel and stops the tractor from running.

I don't know which solenoid valve they used on that model, there are three basic kinds, that kubota used over the years.

All three solenoid types require 12volts.

One is only energized to stop the flow of fuel for about 5 sec when the key is turned off.

One requires it to be energized to keep fuel flowing

The other style requires 2 inputs one to pull in the solenoid and another to hold the solenoid in, to keep fuel flowing.

They all need to be tested differently. ;)

tylergrant20112011

Equipment
Kabota M8950DT
Dec 9, 2018
Luverne, AL, US
The solenoid stops the flow of fuel and stops the tractor from running.

I don't know which solenoid valve they used on that model, there are three basic kinds, that kubota used over the years.

All three solenoid types require 12volts.

One is only energized to stop the flow of fuel for about 5 sec when the key is turned off.

One requires it to be energized to keep fuel flowing

The other style requires 2 inputs one to pull in the solenoid and another to hold the solenoid in, to keep fuel flowing.

They all need to be tested differently. ;)
I got the problem fixed. The kill switch linkage grounded out the solenoid and burnt the wire. There was a rubber boot over the feed wire of the solenoid that had slid up the wire and wasn't covering the post on the solenoid. It the solenoid has to be on at all times to keep the tractor running. If you unplug the wire it kills the fuel off. I appreciate the help. Does anyone have the part number for a new fuel cap?