m7040 gurgling noise

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Have you checked the coolant level? Check the overflow tank when it's running- it could be the expansion of the hot coolant, going into or out of the tank.
Or, it can be something else. But, that is a free, first place to look.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Lift up the hood and put your head under there. That is the only way to isolate the sound and determine its source.

Not many things under the hood can make a gurgle. Start to weed out the possibilities one at a time.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
As soon as its cranked and while its running. The radiator isn't even hot when it starts making noises
If you have a blown head gasket, it can be pumping air into the coolant system. That will cause it to gurgle. Pull the radiator cap when you first start it, and see if air bubbles are rising.
Hopefully, that isn't it.

Chubbs75

Aug 16, 2013
United Kingdom
First I would say its thermostat if you getting steam out of radiator cap after few minutes.
If its not coolant sound and since its starts straight away check exhaust for breaks

turck

Equipment
m5140, JD2020, ford 850, farmal 240
Apr 20, 2013
carthage, ny usa
My 7040 is making a gurgling noise. It seems to be coming from the front of the tractor. Any ideas as to what it is. It has 360 hours on it.
has it always done it? standing beside the left side of the tractor in the area of the steering actuator hold onto the power steering line, the one that goes to the cooler while its making the noise if you feel a pulse then that might be the source of your noise, my m5140 does it and I describe it as a thumping noise but it does sound a little gurgling. Drives me nuts and no one can seem to come up with a fix. My tractor has done it from day one.

marlinman

Equipment
M7040
Aug 23, 2013
N.E. Texas
I had/have a new M7040, here is my experience with them. Two years ago I bought a new M7040 without a cab, it was a ROPs model. From day one it made a clunking noise at idle that came from the front of the tractor where the steering wheel went into the engine compartment. Much research and contact with my dealer revealed this is a known issue with these tractors including the M6040. The theory is the noise comes from the hydorlic lines in the power steering area. In fact you can reach in between the hood and cowling and feel the lines, when you hear the noise, you can "feel" it in the lines. There is not supposed to be anything that can be done about this and is not a issue mechanically, it just sounds crappy, so my dealer informed me. I had that tractor until about 2 months ago, when for some reason the PTO clutch descided to go out. The tractor had about 200 hours on it and to fix it it required the tractor be slit in two. I naturally was very upset so my dealer made me a deal on a new M7040 cab model, which I really wanted to start off with but was to cheap to buy. So I took the deal, he knew about the issue with the gurgling noise and said the cab models did not make that noise. I have about 75 hours on my new tractor and so far so good. I wouldn't have got another Kubota but a lot of my friends have them and noone has had any issues with them so I signed up again. The bottom line is I wouldn't worry about it if its the same noise mine was making, I do believe it is nothing to be worried about. Your dealer should have had this issue before, my local dealer was familiar with it and had even had reps from the regional service center come out and check out some M7040's with the issue.

marlinman

Equipment
M7040
Aug 23, 2013
N.E. Texas
I had/have a new M7040, here is my experience with them. Two years ago I bought a new M7040 without a cab, it was a ROPs model. From day one it made a clunking noise at idle that came from the front of the tractor where the steering wheel went into the engine compartment. Much research and contact with my dealer revealed this is a known issue with these tractors including the M6040. The theory is the noise comes from the hydorlic lines in the power steering area. In fact you can reach in between the hood and cowling and feel the lines, when you hear the noise, you can "feel" it in the lines. There is not supposed to be anything that can be done about this and is not a issue mechanically, it just sounds crappy, so my dealer informed me. I had that tractor until about 2 months ago, when for some reason the PTO clutch descided to go out. The tractor had about 200 hours on it and to fix it it required the tractor be slit in two. I naturally was very upset so my dealer made me a deal on a new M7040 cab model, which I really wanted to start off with but was to cheap to buy. So I took the deal, he knew about the issue with the gurgling noise and said the cab models did not make that noise. I have about 75 hours on my new tractor and so far so good. I wouldn't have got another Kubota but a lot of my friends have them and noone has had any issues with them so I signed up again. The bottom line is I wouldn't worry about it if its the same noise mine was making, I do believe it is nothing to be worried about. Your dealer should have had this issue before, my local dealer was familiar with it and had even had reps from the regional service center come out and check out some M7040's with the issue.

Last edited:

78-79fordman

Equipment
2013 m7040hd 2013 L3800HST 1969 MF135
May 21, 2013
Gillham Ar.
I hate to say it but my new 7040 does the same thing . The noise o most makes me sick . But I figure its a flow problem . Probley from low pressure going to have dealer check it when I do the 50 hour oil change . It's either low pressure or low volume . Or a bypass problem . Mine want do it if ya steer it at idle . Or if ya give it a little fuel to increase the flow .

Still makes me sick having to hear it . And mines a noncab . And saying cabs don't do it can't believe that probley not hearing it because of the cab .

Last edited:

marlinman

Equipment
M7040
Aug 23, 2013
N.E. Texas
I hate to say it but my new 7040 does the same thing . The noise o most makes me sick . But I figure its a flow problem . Probley from low pressure going to have dealer check it when I do the 50 hour oil change . It's either low pressure or low volume . Or a bypass problem . Mine want do it if ya steer it at idle . Or if ya give it a little fuel to increase the flow .

Still makes me sick having to hear it . And mines a noncab . And saying cabs don't do it can't believe that probley not hearing it because of the cab .
The power steering lines rune differently to the steering pump on the cab models hence, not the same sound. I wouldn't worry about the noise like I said though is just some weird hydrolic related noise. I bet the new M7060 don't do it though.

78-79fordman

Equipment
2013 m7040hd 2013 L3800HST 1969 MF135
May 21, 2013
Gillham Ar.
The power steering lines rune differently to the steering pump on the cab models hence, not the same sound. I wouldn't worry about the noise like I said though is just some weird hydrolic related noise. I bet the new M7060 don't do it though.
Ya just the thing about hearing the noise . Getting used to it but but still drives me crazy .

larry869

Equipment
M7040HTC, B3220HST
Jun 16, 2014
middletown va.
The gurgling noise is the power steering. I bought a new M7040 cab model last year. My Dealer had it for a month trying to fix it. They said they thought it was a relief valve. My opinion is that it is air or foam from cavitation, head or backpressure. Standing beside the tractor at any speed you can hear it gurgling or (Hunting) as if low starving for fluid. Everything else on the tractor
perfect. 364hrs

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have a new in Oct 2012 M7040 with cab and FEL. Less than 200 hours.
I find there is a good idle speed when I start it up otherwise it does not sound good. I get the idle up a little and all sounds great. With a 2 year 2000 hour warranty I would not worry at this point.
Dave M7040