M6060 fuel problem

DoubleV

Jun 4, 2018
Meridian, Texas
I replaced the fuel filter and separator filters on my tractor. I went through the air bleeding process in the manual however my tractor will stop running when in use. It appears to happen more often when mowing, etc. I noticed the separator had air bubbles after the first time it died.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the OTT forum. You came to the right place to get answers.

Does the tractor completely die or loose power first?

How long does it run before having problems?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Sounds like you have a fuel restriction someplace. Might open the fuel line at various places to see how fuel flows.

Did you change the filter because of this problem, or did the problem begin after the change?

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Check for any black residue in fuel filter.

Mine acted that way when they switched to BioDiesel here. Had to put Bio-Chide into the
fuel tank and change the fuel filter.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Welcome to OTT
Is fuel tank venting? You could try operating engine with fuel cap removed & shop towel covering fuel tank filler neck. I'll suggest to check for good fuel flow out of tank.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's also possible if there was no issues before you did the change and now it has issues, that there is a problem with the installation of the water separator filter.

Reactions: 1 users

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
Is the fuel level fluctuating in the bowl? On my M6800 the shutoff at the water separator bowl was clogged. The fuel to the shutoff on my M6800 comes directly from the tank.

Tim Wilburn

Equipment
M6060HD
Jan 30, 2021
Floral City, Fl.
I have a m6060 that runs at first and after a few minutes will starve for fuel. I can lean over and see the fuel/water seperator bowl and watch the fuel level drop and see air bubbles on the top of the fuel level and this is when the engine starts to cut out. It has a new fuel filter and the seperator has been cleaned out. Also had a new fuel tank installed about 2 mths ago. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I have a m6060 that runs at first and after a few minutes will starve for fuel. I can lean over and see the fuel/water seperator bowl and watch the fuel level drop and see air bubbles on the top of the fuel level and this is when the engine starts to cut out. It has a new fuel filter and the seperator has been cleaned out. Also had a new fuel tank installed about 2 mths ago. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Why was the tank replaced on a relatively new tractor? What other problems have you had with the tractor and fuel system?

Have you pulled the fuel line going into the separator to check for a good flow of fuel from the tank? If you have good flow from the tank take a look at the "in " side of the separator and look for a screen to stop larger pieces from going into the separator. Clean it.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Sounds to me like the fuel hose from the fuel tank to the separator has an issue and it's sucking air. Only way (other than a cocked o ring on the separator itself) will cause air bubbles and the fuel level to drop. It's a closed system, IOW if their is fuel in the supply line but you see air, the supply hose is compromised and will need replaced.

Tim Wilburn

Equipment
M6060HD
Jan 30, 2021
Floral City, Fl.
Why was the tank replaced on a relatively new tractor? What other problems have you had with the tractor and fuel system?

Have you pulled the fuel line going into the separator to check for a good flow of fuel from the tank? If you have good flow from the tank take a look at the "in " side of the separator and look for a screen to stop larger pieces from going into the separator. Clean it.
The tank was replaced because the protective plate underneath was damaged. The engine would just die suddenly after running for hours without any issues, maybe 5 times overe the lasr 25 hours. Now...it is starving for fuel and dies over 5-10 seconds. I am going to go check the fuel line right now!

Tim Wilburn

Equipment
M6060HD
Jan 30, 2021
Floral City, Fl.

The pro lem was the fuel on/off access hole to the water seperator bowl. There was some type of black crud blocking the hole in the cap. It was up in there pretty goo and had to pick it out with a jewelers screwdriver. I am attaching a picture of the inside of the water trap filter. Thak you for helping me.

Attachments

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Glad you found a fix.

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
That black stuff is probably algae and you may need to treat the fuel in the tank with algaecide or you’re going to have more problems in the future.

You may want to treat any stored fuel also and continue to treat your fuel for awhile.

Good luck, glad you got it working again.

Reactions: 1 user